No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently spoke with Bill Jenkinson. Done with his soon to be released E-book, which is sure to be something great. Elaborates on his first two books and hits on key points in responding to critics and non-believers of Ruth's power.

Anyway, now with some time for ancillary reseach, he is diving into Ruth vs Grove and Ruth vs Walter complete numbers. Good stuff.

Comment

• So what is a laminated bat supposed to do? What advantage does it provide, if any? Just curious, as I have seen this crop up before in a couple threads over the past years and I do not know what the big deal is. If it is to help keep the bat from breaking, maybe I need to invest in one. Just broke my favorite bat in our last game and now I have to go into our playoffs with a different bat. Garbage...
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
        So what is a laminated bat supposed to do? What advantage does it provide, if any? Just curious, as I have seen this crop up before in a couple threads over the past years and I do not know what the big deal is. If it is to help keep the bat from breaking, maybe I need to invest in one. Just broke my favorite bat in our last game and now I have to go into our playoffs with a different bat. Garbage...
        Not sure if there is any advantage, any plus in the laminated bat.
        If I recall there was no ban until 1930-31 .
        I think, not sure, it was allowed in MLB for a short time in the 1950's.

Comment

• In 1954 a rule stated that "The bat may be made of two or more pieces of wood laminated together."

I think the idea is to make wood stronger but laminating decreases the ball distance produced. Most wood bat leagues nowdays use them .

Comment

• Nice one of The Babe from RMY (1933):

sigpic

Comment

• new online Babe book

http://my.bookbaby.com/book/baberuthagainstallodds

<BABE RUTH - AGAINST ALL ODDS - WORLD'S MIGHTIEST SLUGGER.jpg>
              Attached Files
              Last edited by elmer; 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Purchased and from what I've read so far, a must read, especially for the naysayers. Unfortunately they usually don't....just sit back in disbelief. Hey, we all do that. Some choose to accept fact.

Great work as always, by Bill.
                Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Caught the CBS National News tonight, Babe's daughter was interviewed.
                  They showed a clip of a ten year old at Cooperstown. He was asked who is your idol...................Babe Ruth.
                  Showed a clip of Babe at bat, his one foot is almost on home plate.
                  Trying to find that CBS news show and video, on line.

Comment

• Here it is, the feet, one foot so close to home plate.
                    May appear a bit closer due to the camera angle, but it's close.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Link for the book on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...htiest+slugger

Comment

• Originally posted by Proctor, CF
                        Superb example of his power, Sultan. This really captures the ferocity with which "The Terror of Pitchers" could hit. It's a good thing for hurlers of the day that he chose so frequently to pull and loft the ball. Otherwise things would have gotten lethal awefully quick.

This line drive centerfield home run by Metivier's head, as I know you know well, took place during the course of one of the greatest batting streaks in Baseball history, where Ruth hit over .500, for over two months, with an awesome seventeen home runs.* Despite injuries, he smacked two balls into deep, deep center at Fenway in last week of that season - both over 500'. In July of '27, another pitcher, Hod Lizenbee, also nearly had to get his Last Rites, when he was "almost crucified" by a similar Ruthian rifle shot up-the-middle.

These phenomenal hits also add credence to witness accounts that Ruth's Florida State Fair Home Run of 1919 (diagrammed two posts above) - though travelling over 550' -never exceeded 50' in height!!!

Edit: After researching and writing about the streak during which Metivier almost "lost his ear", I surfed over for my first look at the "Best Month's" thread, then noticing that Sultan had just written about that same streak a half hour or so earlier. My apologies. As always, Sultan was way ahead of me - both on the blast by Metivier, and on the streak during which it was hit. He is truly is the "Sultan of Swat" on all things Ruthian.
                        In Bill Jenkinson's new Ebook, he expands on this incident from 1924:

In early July, the New York Yankees initiated a five game series with the Washington Senators at Griffith Stadium with an Independence Day double- header. The Yanks won both, including a 2-0 pitcher’s duel in the nightcap in which Herb Pennock out-dueled Walter Johnson. New York went on to win four of five which provided them with a false sense of well-being. As discussed, Washington would ultimately prevail. The Yanks then returned to New York where they would remain until they left for an extended trip west on July 25. Babe had a great month, batting a torrid .400, and ripping fourteen homers. His second four-bagger on July 14 against St. Louis actually rivaled his two bombs at the end of May. This one fell high into the bleachers just to the right of the scoreboard, flying about 485 feet.

When Ruth walked into Yankee Stadium on Sunday morning, July 20, 1924, he was in good spirits. His team was in first place, and he was playing sensational all-around baseball. On Saturday, he had belted a long home run, and waved to his three-year-old daughter, Dorothy, as he rounded the bases in a winning effort. Babe had also played spectacular defense, recording an assist and ending the contest with an outstanding running catch.

In the first game that day, Ruth went hitless for one of the few times in July, although he was robbed of a right field homer in the first inning on a great leaping catch. New York defeated the Cleveland Indians 4-1, so it didn’t matter. Yet, the screaming 50,000 fans wanted to see The Bambino knock a home run (as always), and, in the second game, they were granted their wish. Batting in the second inning with two men on base against George “Dewy” Metivier, Babe really unloaded.

Ruth smashed a wicked line drive just past Metivier’s head which looked like a single coming off his bat. Somehow, although rising only slightly as it sped onward, the ball kept flying farther and farther. The great Tris Speaker, the Grey Eagle, was renowned for his defensive prowess in center field, but he had no chance on this occasion. The ball whizzed over his head, landed beside the distant flagpole, and caromed off the center field wall 490 feet away. Very few balls ever rolled that far, but this one struck the wall with so much force that it bounced all the way back to the flagpole. Speaker recovered it as quickly as anyone could, but the relay home was too late to prevent Ruth from circling the bases.

Any knowledgeable baseball fan almost certainly noticed the reference about the ball flying “past Metivier’s head,” and just as certainly took exception. Surely, no batted ball could soar 470 feet in the air, and only have risen to the height of the pitcher as it flew past him. It’s just not physically possible, right? Well, maybe, but maybe not.

Here is how the New York Herald-Tribune described the drive:

"Savage line drive to the flagpole in deep center...screamer...it nearly tore Metivier’s ears off as it shot through the box and rolled to the fence behind the flagpole in deep center."

The New York Times said the ball:

"Grazed Metivier’s glove and continued on its way unmolested to the center field fence. It bounded off the fence and back to the flagpole."

Finally, there is the Detroit News. One might ask how a Detroit paper could be involved in a game featuring New York and Cleveland. Here’s how: the Tigers had been playing in Boston, but that city’s anti-Sabbath baseball laws had forbad them to play that Sunday. Since the Tigers were scheduled to play the Yankees the following day, Monday, July 21, 1924, they arrived in New York
                        a day early and attended the game. That included writer H.G. Salsinger of the Detroit News. He was so impressed by Ruth’s frightening line drive home run that he felt compelled to talk about it in his game account on July 22. Harkening back to the Sunday contest, this is what Salsinger wrote:

"Ruth smashed a ball off Metivier that shot by the pitcher’s ear and did not stop bounding and rolling until it reached center field fence and center field on the stadium here is the longest outfield in the league. This home run drive never rose higher than six feet and after Ruth scored a number of the Detroit players left the park considering they had enough. They spent the remainder of the time before today’s game figuring out how they could stop Ruth."

I don’t believe that Babe’s shot, miraculous as it was, never rose above six feet. That would be literally impossible. Yet, the fact that it appeared that way to a veteran observer is very sobering. Plus, consider this: three separate and credible observers confirmed that this batted ball flew past the pitcher beneath the top of his head, and still flew about 470 feet in the air. If this is not the hardest hit ball in the annals of the sport, it certainly ranks near the top. The laws of physics and physiology say that this drive should not have been humanly possible, but it happened anyway.
                        Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 08-01-2014, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Ruth hit another ball on July 28, 1929 that would also be a competitor for
                          the hardest ball he ever hit. It came as a walk off in the 12th inning of a game
                          versus the Browns at Yankee Stadium. The game ended with Ruth and the Yankees typical "5 O'clock lightning", hitting
                          the game ender. Journalists and fans had but that brief moment to absorb the enormity of the hit before players and spectators left the field. Indeed only one paper, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle had more than a line describing the homer. The New York Times capturing that 2 seconds of time called it "a Scorcher", Binghamton Press "lashed deep into the right field bleachers", the Brooklyn Standard Union: "After going hitless over the afternoon, the Bambino smacked one into the right field bleachers in the twelfth that settled the issue. It was a real Ruthian wallop done in Ruthian Style." Other papers also failed to reveal the true impact of this hit. The Brooklyn Daily Eagle came closest. Keeping in mind Ruth's teammates has seen him hit about 35-40 other home runs 500 feet or more to this point in his career.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• In 2013 Miguel Cabrera hit a home run over the pitcher that traveled 424 feet and had the lowest trajectory all year (and probably one of the lowest trajectory ever tracked on Hit Tracker) and the ball's apex was only 6 feet above the lowest apex all year. No other ball with that low of a trajectory or apex traveled as far as Miguel's blast and it wasn't even close. The ball coming off the bat had the 4th fastest time all year and was only 2.5 mph slower than the fastest hit homer of that year. In the 8 years that hit tracker has been tracking homers Miguel's blast is one of the hardest ever hit and the hardest hit ball during that time is still less than 5 mph faster than Miguel's hit.

The ball goes right up the middle and the pitcher even ducks his head as Cabrera hits it. Despite all of that the ball isn't even close to being around head level of the pitcher. Now for Babe Ruth to buzz the head of a pitcher 57 or so feet away with a ball and then have it land 470 feet away is not humanly possible. That isn't to say that Babe Ruth didn't hit a massively hard hit line drive. He probably did but I think what happened was similar to what happened in the blast that Miguel hit. Babe smoked a ball right up the middle that made the pitcher duck and since this happened in the age before replay and it happened so fast we can't look at it over and over and from multiple angles. We are left with the descriptions of the press who witnessed it live from up in a press box.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v27275751/det...nter/?c_id=mlb

Comment

• Using a trajectory calculator I find that in order for Babe to buzz the pitcher and still have the ball travel 470 feet Babe Ruth needed to have the ball come off his bat at roughly 137 mph and impart a backspin of 2,500 rpm at a very low trajectory. Now there is a problem with those parameters in that the rpm are very unlikely at that trajectory. 2,000 rpm is right around the common spin speed for a home run ball and that kind of speed is create by having a steeper angle. If we drop the rpm to reflect a flatter trajectory then the ball needs to have a coming off the bat speed of 153 mph. Give the ball a typical home run rpm and the ball needs to be going 143 mph off the bat. Really no matter how you shake it the numbers are impossible for the story to be true.

Now then if you make it so the ball passes over the pitcher's head by 5 feet or so you get a much much more realistic 125 mph speed coming off the bat. Still a faster speed than any home run that has been recorded in the 8 years so it still has Babe doing something that is extremely rare. The apex of the ball is 35 feet above the ground for this blast.

Comment

• And Ruth has proven to do things on the field that are extremely rare, bordering on ultra incredible.....so nothing can be put past him. Although I believe the landing point to be accurate, I think think the initial launch path was slightly higher than reported. Part of this might have come from the pitcher's reaction. No doubt probably squirted in his drawers at a Ruthian smash comin right at 'em. He could crush any pitch but tje low ball especially and a golf smash woulda done the trick.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X