*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    As you know there is one picture of Babe at the website hosted by Babe's grandaughter, Linda Ruth Tosetti. The picture of Babe crossing the plate and what appears to be a black catcher standing, watching. I am assuming that what is really desired is a picture of Babe perhaps standing along side of a black player, one that might be recognized by his face. Is that true?

Here is that picture at Linda's site. Not much to go on, the catcher with his mask on and we can see the letter "B" on his jersey.

Some black teams with that may have that "B" on their jerseys.
    Baltimore Elite Giants but their first year in Baltimore 1937-38.
    Birmingham Black Barons 1923-25 1927-30 1932 1937-38
    Baltimore Black Sox 1923-29 1932-34
    Brooklyn Royal Giants 1905-22 1920-35

Details often conflict with some of the above dates. We have some on the board that know more about black baseball than I, maybe we can get some help from them.
    Thanks greatly Joe! I've made some inquiries on the source of the photo.

Any educated guesses on the year of Ruth's uniform, considering its design, and his build?

On first look, the field looks like it may be more in the South, than in Brooklyn. Additionally, the 'B' seems close to the Birmingham Black Baron uniforms.

I can't tell from his tan, how long The Babe has been out of the Florida sun, i.e. if he's headed North out of Spring Training, playing exhibition during regular season, or otherwise barnstorming. Nor have I yet tried to zoom in on any background to better see details of the crowd and ballpark.

Thanks again, Joe, and I'll of course let you know anything I hear elsewhere.
    Last edited by Proctor, CF; 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
      Thanks greatly Joe! I've made some inquiries on the source of the photo.

Any educated guesses on the year of Ruth's uniform, considering its design, and his build?

On first look, the field looks like it may be more in the South, than in Brooklyn. Additionally, the 'B' seems close to the Birmingham Black Baron uniforms.

I can't tell from his tan, how long The Babe has been out of the Florida sun, i.e. if he's headed North out of Spring Training, playing exhibition during regular season, or otherwise barnstorming. Nor have I yet tried to zoom in on any background to better see details of the crowd and ballpark.

Thanks again, Joe, and I'll of course let you know anything I hear elsewhere.

From some info I found, the Yanks road uniform 1927-30 had the word Yankees on the uniform. As seen in the picture Babe's uniform has New York on his, rules out the years 1927-1930. I would be surprised if we ever pin down any info on that picture.

Comment

• Babe palm print taken by famous palmist Alice Denton Jennings. Sold for 26,555.00.
        Attached Files

Comment

As you know there is one picture of Babe at the website hosted by Babe's grandaughter, Linda Ruth Tosetti. The picture of Babe crossing the plate and what appears to be a black catcher standing, watching. I am assuming that what is really desired is a picture of Babe perhaps standing along side of a black player, one that might be recognized by his face. Is that true?

Here is that picture at Linda's site. Not much to go on, the catcher with his mask on and we can see the letter "B" on his jersey.

Some black teams with that may have that "B" on their jerseys.
          Baltimore Elite Giants but their first year in Baltimore 1937-38.
          Birmingham Black Barons 1923-25 1927-30 1932 1937-38
          Baltimore Black Sox 1923-29 1932-34
          Brooklyn Royal Giants 1905-22 1920-35

Details often conflict with some of the above dates. We have some on the board that know more about black baseball than I, maybe we can get some help from them.
          Ah...I like a good mystery. We have some other clues from the photo. The catcher has striped sanitary socks. Ruth looks clearly in his 30s. Is there any website that shows Negro League uniforms?
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            Ah...I like a good mystery. We have some other clues from the photo. The catcher has striped sanitary socks. Ruth looks clearly in his 30s. Is there any website that shows Negro League uniforms?
            Don't know if there are any sites that show Negro League uniforms in great numbers. I did manage to pick up a few pics of black teams, problem is that they are all facing the camera head on, unable to see if that stripe is on the pants.

As for Ruth, could be in his 30s. Don't know if you saw my previous post, post #593, the Yanks uniform had the word Yankees on the front in the years 1927-1930 and in the pic we see the words New York on Babe's uniform. That would seem to rule out the time period 1927-1930.

Comment

• Babe fielding stats from the mound only. 1915-16-17.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Not the best quality but here it is NY Times Sunday July 20,1918.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Babe hole in one, 1940.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Babe on the links.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Babe in the field. Some articles rather long, the real story in red.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Park Babe hit his first home run in, as a pro.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Park Babe hit his first home run in, as a pro.
                          More Hanlans Point Park, Babe's first pro home run 1914.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• More on Babe's first pro home run at Hanlans Point in Canada.
                            Not only hit a three run homer in that game but also pitched a one hitter.
                            Referred to in the Toronto Star as " The southside phenom."
                            Attached Files

Comment

• From Headin Home.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The first, the 60th and the last number 714.

Jack Warhop.

Tom Zachary.

Guy Bush
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X