No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well no, this isn't good evidence as Cobb for best ever. He only barely topps Ruth in one category, longevity. In the efficiency and mastery elements Ruth leaves him in the dust.

As Matt pointed out in the final GI score, which includes everything, even if he'd never pitched aa game, Ruth would still finish ahead of second place Cobb.

Of course, it's just one source of evaluation that happens to backup consensus opinion and it's generally reasonable to always say that a #2 "has a case."
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 09-22-2016, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• While looking up some stuff on the Babe's 1935 season I came across two different accounts, both by SABR writers, about Ruth's locker during his last spring training with the Yanks that year: one that the team used Babe's locker to store firewood in, the other that they actually burned his locker for firewood.

Anybody know which version is correct? Or if neither is correct. Seems pretty severely disrespectful if true.

Comment

• I believe the lockers were metal. Besides I recall locker room photos from the '40's and his locker was still there. The Baseball Hall of Fame eventually got possession of it. They took it to Japan for the world's fair a number of years ago. The locker & Babe's uniform and the rocks brought back from the moon were the two greatest attractions.
        Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
        While looking up some stuff on the Babe's 1935 season I came across two different accounts, both by SABR writers, about Ruth's locker during his last spring training with the Yanks that year: one that the team used Babe's locker to store firewood in, the other that they actually burned his locker for firewood.

Anybody know which version is correct? Or if neither is correct. Seems pretty severely disrespectful if true.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRfromBR

Thanks, Sultan. Yeah, Bonds had all the tools, but he couldn't stand to be rated below Ruth. What a shame. Ruth loved people for who they were, regardless of their race, culture or pedigree. One of the things so special about him.

I greatly enjoy reading your posts and have learned so much from them. I'm working on a project right now scientifically documenting Ruth's power, and am trying to catch up on my knowledge about him. Your writings and Bill Jenkinson's have been the most enjoyable and informative.

I'm sending you an image of the St. Petersburg Athletic Field, where Ruth hit his megashot against the West Coast Inn. It may well have been his longest hit ever, but was ruled a double because it hit the Hotel - over 600 feet away! Being a Spring Game, Ruth was laughing along with everyone else at the ruling. What a fabulous guy he was.
          Anything new on this TR? Are you still on here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
            Your post reminded me of this picture:

The sister Kenny Foundation held a Christmas party for children with Infantile Paralysis at the Astor Hotel on December 10, 1947. Despite being ill, Babe dressed as Santa Claus to help cheer children up.
            [ATTACH]121164[/ATTACH]
            I don't think it can be stated enough how big this man's heart was. ENORMOUS.

Comment

• Did Ruth ever speak publicly about politics or social issues of his time?
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                Anything new on this TR? Are you still on here?
                He is no longer registered Sultan.
                he sends this message....

You can tell Sultan that the historic length of the home run has been verified with greater precision (~611ft), but that the date of the homer was different than thought on the date of that post.

He may want to read and post the following book links and BRC article, which have details of our findings.

Please tell Sultan I said hello.
                Attached Files

Comment

• I haven't seen this pic before.

ruth.jpg

Comment

• Here's a 1920 Spring training pic. This is my new favorite of Ruth.

ruth.jpg

Comment

• And lastly, a 40 year old Ruth in a Braves' uniform.

ruth.jpg
                      Last edited by pheasant; 10-18-2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                        I haven't seen this pic before.

[ATTACH]157525[/ATTACH]
                        Think I recognize that shot from his 1920 blockbuster movie Babe Comes Home.

Comment

Here's a 1920 Spring training pic. This is my new favorite of Ruth.

[ATTACH]157526[/ATTACH]
                          Worth mentioning that his hands are not spread apart because he was hitting like that. Ruth had a habit immediately after taking a pitch, of sliding his left hand up the barrel and holding the bat from each end. Great pic find!

Comment

That awful silent movie era makeup results in him looking like zombie Babe at the plate!
                            There was a still picture summary of that flick in one of my Ruth books, I'm sure it would have won Best Picture if Oscar had been born yet...
                            ;^)
                            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

That it is Randy..

Comment

And lastly, a 40 year old Ruth in a Braves' uniform.

[ATTACH]157533[/ATTACH]
                                One foot out of the box. I have a newspaper clip, article. Babe with the Braves 1935 running down a fly and making a bare handed catch.
                                The Braves treated him better than the Yanks in some ways.
                                After retiring they gave him a season pass to any Braves game.
                                Can't verify this one, in an old article. Called the Yankee ticket office for tickets to the Yanks/Giants WS game in 1936.....................was told to first send a check, in his own house.

They milked the Bam right to the end$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
                                As a coach with the Dodgers in his contract he was obliged to take batting practice in home games. This was noted in the newspapers.
                                I guess they believed that might get a few hundred or more to attend a game.

In 1938, way out of shape he won a long distance hitting contest in Saint Louis. Against some of the heavy hitters in the NL, in their prime.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 10-18-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X