No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here he is showing the heart that made him the great ball player, competitor he was on the field.
    June 13 nearing the end from that terminal disease. In two months he would pass away.
    So weak he needed help suiting up. It was a damp cool day. He was offered a wheel chair to take him on to the field. He said no, borrowed a bat from Bob Feller walk out to the field and used the bat to support his ailing body.

Later the bat was auctioned off for 107,000.00 dollars.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Babe's letter to Freddy.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Like he said, "I like to do everything big." I've seen bigger than this.
        Attached Files

Comment

• The last thing the Yank owners wanted, their franchise player to get hurt. Some of these restrictions were actually written into his contract. One he forgot, no horseback riding. I do have a picture of Babe on a horse and right next to him on a horse is.............Tillinghast Huston Yankee co-owner.
          Attached Files

Comment

• What does "shaking hands promiscuously" mean?
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              What does "shaking hands promiscuously" mean?
              Probably something sdifferent for Ruth than for mere mortals

Comment

Ya got me. I've seen letters he had sent to newspapers when in Boston, letters to some kids, articulate seemed to have a fair to good vocabulary. But I have seen him throw a word into conversations that didn't seem to fit.

Comment

Not sure, but if you "Google" that phrase, you actually get a handful of results (some from books published prior to the article).

Comment

It could have been Babe just being Babe, the wrong word.
                    Don't know if the following story is true and don't remember it word for word, saw it years ago. Supposedly at a gas station when a high society lady pulls up in a car. She says "Mr. Ruth, does your car have air brakes." His answer, "Ma'am, I havent the feintest consumption." Something like that, did it really take place, I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      Don't know if the following story is true and don't remember it word for word, saw it years ago. Supposedly at a gas station when a high society lady pulls up in a car. She says "Mr. Ruth, does your car have air brakes." His answer, "Ma'am, I havent the feintest consumption." Something like that, did it really take place, I don't know.
                      I believe that is true. Read it before too. There are several other examples of that. Marshall Hunt is probably the one who reported. He was Babe's shadow for years. Off-season, on-season. Didn't matter. Anything Babe did was news.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

She says "Mr. Ruth, does your car have air brakes." His answer, "Ma'am, I haven't the faintest consumption."
                        Classic Ruth. There's actually a specific term for this type of speech gaffe- it's deemed a "malapropism".

Anyone watch The Sopranos, especially Tony Soprano in therapy? You've seen some of the best, then.

Comment

• No no, not that Babe Ruth, this is another Babe Ruth.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Cub shortstop Billy Jurges describes his view on Babe's home run against the Cubs in the 1932 World Series.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Some fun stuff. What's the story behind the naming of the Baby Ruth candy bar? The maker of the candy bar, Curtiss Candy Company, has always denied the candy bar was named after George Herman Ruth. But according to Snopes.com their official story is full of holes. Did the Babe ever try to go after the Curtiss Candy Company with a lawsuit?

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/babyruth.asp
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                                Classic Ruth. There's actually a specific term for this type of speech gaffe- it's deemed a "malapropism".

Anyone watch The Sopranos, especially Tony Soprano in therapy? You've seen some of the best, then.
                                Archie Bunker had some classics as well. Two of my favorites was when he referred to the AFL-CIO as the UFO-CIA and a gynecologist as a "groin-acologist". And of course Dizzy Dean and Ralph Kiner were the Masters of Malapropism.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X