*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Bill J. 3.jpg Why Luke Easter on a Babe thread. Bill Jenkinson baseball historian, in particular subject Babe Ruth. Received this letter from Bill a few years ago, he was looking for some info on Luke Easter, played some years here in Buffalo. I did send some info and Bill in return sent me the following. What led me to look back on this, today is Bill's birthday. The reason, just to show his method on any subject he is working on. Agree with him or not, there is no doubt he puts his all into his work. Hand written and so complete in detail.

The letter Bill sent. A few words on Luke Easter in Buffalo. We would head downtown, looking for Luke, some of his favorite coffee shops. Often did find him, what a great guy. Sitting listening to him, stories about his life in the game, minors and MLB.
    So unfortunate, skin color kept him out of MLB till age 33. Even in his short MLB career, hit some of the longest drives in the game
    Attached Files

Comment

• BILL BURGESS---

I've decided to change my mind. I've decided to vote for Babe Ruth as a "magical player". I realize he was not the most complete player, but I think I've shorted him somewhat. I am basing my change due to his defense.

True, he was always moved around due to lack of speed, but I think he fielded well. I have some quotes by folks like Speaker, Sisler, Ban Johnson, and others who claim that he fielded well, despite his not being able to catch up with long line drives to his side.

And I have almost never credited him for his pitching. He did pitching, hitting well, and both require explosive movements.

So I am going to adjust the vote totals, but I can't move my name to his column. I am also moving Babe up to 3rd place after Ty/Honus, and ahead of Willie Mays.

One of the things that Fever has changed me on, is that it is possible to have greater value in one or two great areas, even if someone else is better rounded. And this has been an extremely difficult, almost painful kind of evolution for me.

But I am committed to growing, even if it means admitting I was wrong about certain things before.

Bill

Sums up; the spirit of Fever. Engaging, absorbing, considering, admitting

Comment

• Joe, did we ever get a year for this pic?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
          Joe, did we ever get a year for this pic?
          I never found it. Saw this pic so long ago, did you post it and can it be verified it's Ruth. Is it Yankee Stadium?
          It appears there is no number on the back and as you probably know, numbers came in 1929.

Comment

I never found it. Saw this pic so long ago, did you post it and can it be verified it's Ruth. Is it Yankee Stadium?
            It appears there is no number on the back and as you probably know, numbers came in 1929.
            I believe it is YS. What year did they extend the deck to the outfields? Myabe 1928ish? If so that leaves us 1927 and prior

Tried to find other pics of Lou batting from behind. It just looks so much like his features. The shoulders are too broad to be Ruth, the slight bow legged and calves are too large for Ruth also. The on deck batters profile looks to be Ruth.

Comment

I believe it is YS. What year did they extend the deck to the outfields? Myabe 1928ish? If so that leaves us 1927 and prior

Tried to find other pics of Lou batting from behind. It just looks so much like his features. The shoulders are too broad to be Ruth, the slight bow legged and calves are too large for Ruth also. The on deck batters profile looks to be Ruth.
              Agree 100% after a second look. Looks like Gehrig at bat, open stance and the body build.
              And that for sure looks like the Bam on deck.
              Quick glance Lou batted third no more than a dozen times 1923-24-25.
              1926 batted third 122 games.!927 batted 4th 155 games. 1928 batted 3rd 22 games.
              I think the photo is 1926 or 1928, by the percentage of at bats he batted before Ruth..

Comment

Yes,that is Ruth on deck.Ruth has Eddie Bennett(the bat boy)kneeling with him.The Babe believed Eddie would bring him good luck,possibly because he was hunch backed!The Eddie Bennett story is worth looking up on the web.

Comment

Agree 100% after a second look. Looks like Gehrig at bat, open stance and the body build.
                  And that for sure looks like the Bam on deck.
                  Quick glance Lou batted third no more than a dozen times 1923-24-25.
                  1926 batted third 122 games.!927 batted 4th 155 games. 1928 batted 3rd 22 games.
                  I think the photo is 1926 or 1928, by the percentage of at bats he batted before Ruth..
                  Don't think we will ever know, but thus could be the PA that started the streak, when he pinch hit for Pipp. How cool is that.

Comment

Don't think we will ever know, but thus could be the PA that started the streak, when he pinch hit for Pipp. How cool is that.
                    For sure, no way to date with certainty.

Comment

• The Babe, almost, a White Sox, for 18000.00. Comiskey turned thumbs down, too much money Comiskey Tel USE Babe.jpg

Comment

• That's a nice one Joe. Gosh, the what-ifs that scenario brings forth...wow.

Comment

• Are these the two water barrels in RF and RCF?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Water Barrels

Comment

• A friend and I were discussing that Home Run Derby TV show that was telecast back in 1960. I mentioned that Babe Ruth had once hit 125 home runs in an hour against several pitchers in the same park back in 1927. Going through my archives I realized that I had a faulty memory. Checking Smelser's book I found out it actually happened in 1920. Wrigley Field in LA was not built until 1925 so it couldn't have been there. I assume then that it must have occurred at LA's Washington Park (see photo). Can anyone shed any light on this? That was quite a feat by the way, a home run every thirty seconds. I think the Babe could have acquitted himself quite well in these modern home run derbies.

Does anyone know of a newspaper clip of this incident? I vaguely remember someone posting it here but I may be wrong about that.
                              Last edited by Badge714; 04-29-2018, 05:28 PM.
                              ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• Guy Bush, the Bam's chief tormentor in Babe's "Called Shot" at bat, 1932 World Series. So far on to the playing field yelling insults, the ump orders him to get back to the dugout. Pitching the next game Bush hits him on the forearm, looking swollen and bruised after the game. Looks like Bush now pays some respect to Babe.

Babe Bush pic.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X