Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This one I put together 1932 World Series, video and text from another source. Video from Ken Burns with no info given. Added the text from the newspaper archives, I think I got it right. After Bush hit Babe, Babe smiled, did some talking and flicking motions on his arm, didn't hurt at all. According to Gehrig Babe yelled to Bush, "Hey lop ears, was that you fastball". The Yanks pounded Bush, knocked him out in the first inning.


    Babe hit buy Bush sequence.jpg

    Comment


    • Screenshot_20180825-163820_Chrome.jpg

      Guess who led all of MLB in Extra Bases Taken in 1927?

      At age 32 (or 33, depending on your source).

      Even Babe's old age stats (we only have 1925-1935 currently) show he was a very aggresive and adroit base runner.

      Just, really, awesome stuff. We've been waiting a lifetime for this breadth and depth of PBP results.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
        Screenshot_20180825-163820_Chrome.jpg

        Guess who led all of MLB in Extra Bases Taken in 1927?

        At age 32 (or 33, depending on your source).

        Even Babe's old age stats (we only have 1925-1935 currently) show he was a very aggresive and adroit base runner.

        Just, really, awesome stuff. We've been waiting a lifetime for this breadth and depth of PBP results.
        The Bam always, always went all out, on the bases and in the outfield. I have a few pics somewhere, home plate collisions with catchers, in one he was carried off the field, the catcher left the game. The image is, a big guy hit lots of home runs and that was it.
        I believe this was against the Senators. A click on the photo will enlarge it.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 08-25-2018, 03:28 PM.

        Comment


        • In the outfield, all out. Same way he lived his life off the field. BabeGallawaysmall.jpg

          Comment


          • Article written by Bill Jenkinson on a fun connection with Babe & Ted Williams.
            Aug. 30 2018. Ted Williams 100th
            https://tedwilliams100thbirthday.jim...-and-the-babe/

            Comment


            • Sewell bat check 6-11-27.jpg Like Sad Sam Jones once said, "At times Babe Ruth would hit a ball so far, you could not believe your eye." The man was some kind of a freak. Every time I think I've seen it all, I see more. Sewell was later asked, why did he smell the bat. Looking for an adhesive, laminated bat.

              Comment


              • According to this article Babe Ruth was the first person to receive a new type of chemotherapy treatment.

                No one told Babe Ruth he had cancer, but his death changed the way we fight it
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                Comment


                • Did he know even if not told that he had cancer. Was it possible that he suspected he had cancer , even if not told.
                  Supposedly, Ruth told Connie Mack or a teammate, "the termites got me".
                  If, if a true statement it would appear he knew.
                  We will never know, was it fact he did say that.

                  Comment


                  • Worth another look:

                    Video of the Babe busting a home run ". . . a 500-foot shot. . . longer by far than any other drive in city history" as a Boston Brave in an exhibition game in Newark, NJ in 1935. (Sources: Boston Post, April 8, 1935 & Newark Evening News, April 8, 1935.)

                    Another source states: "It cleared the fence in deep right center field by some 50 feet and landed outside the park about 500 feet from where it began." This was his second of the day. He was 40 years old. Those reflexes, that sound! Listen to the crack of the bat on contact, the celestial music of ash hitting horsehide.

                    Listen close at the 15 second mark and you can hear a guy exclaiming "Jesus!" As he approaches third base I also heard "He really teed off on that one."

                    Also note the fans running to top of bleachers in right center to see where ball landed. The fence was 365 feet away in right center, 410 feet dead center.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcLVVuU-Ig
                    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                    Comment


                    • B714, can't tell you how many times I have watched that one, have it saved in a folder. There is no other video that shows his bat speed and that crack of the bat, that rifle sound. Here is a pic of the spectators looking over the wall, where the ball ended up, outside the park.
                      Here is what I thought I heard, at the 0:19---0:21 point of the video. Sounded like "He really got a hold of that one didn't he". You can slow down the video to listen to the comment. I slowed it down to 0.75.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-18-2018, 06:28 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                        B714, can't tell you how many times I have watched that one, have it saved in a folder. There is no other video that shows his bat speed and that crack of the bat, that rifle sound. Here is a pic of the spectators looking over the wall, where the ball ended up, outside the park.
                        Here is what I thought I heard, at the 0:19---0:21 point of the video. Sounded like "He really got a hold of that one didn't he". You can slow down the video to listen to the comment. I slowed it down to 0.75.
                        Agreed! This is amazing video. That sound! Incidentally, I like that crack or "pock" sound of ash on horsehide. What a contrast to the ping of aluminum on cowhide. I find it amazing that in his short lived 1935 season 6 of Ruth's 13 hits were home runs, his last hit that roof topper at Forbes Field!
                        ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                          Worth another look:

                          Video of the Babe busting a home run ". . . a 500-foot shot. . . longer by far than any other drive in city history" as a Boston Brave in an exhibition game in Newark, NJ in 1935. (Sources: Boston Post, April 8, 1935 & Newark Evening News, April 8, 1935.)

                          Another source states: "It cleared the fence in deep right center field by some 50 feet and landed outside the park about 500 feet from where it began." This was his second of the day. He was 40 years old. Those reflexes, that sound! Listen to the crack of the bat on contact, the celestial music of ash hitting horsehide.

                          Listen close at the 15 second mark and you can hear a guy exclaiming "Jesus!" As he approaches third base I also heard "He really teed off on that one."

                          Also note the fans running to top of bleachers in right center to see where ball landed. The fence was 365 feet away in right center, 410 feet dead center.

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcLVVuU-Ig
                          Sanborn maps say the back "CB Wall" was 14' high - looks higher in video - adding that to "50 feet" would be a height of 64' - ball left the park near the far corner, 460' from home plate.

                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

                          Comment


                          • "The greatest baseball player ever was Babe Ruth. Not only because every home run hit after him has his DNA in it, but also for his prowess as a pitcher....This man was a hell of a player."

                            Bert Randolph Sugar

                            Unsure if this video has ever been posted. If so, my apologies. It's well worth a look and listen. It's the late Bert Randolph Sugar's take on Ty Cobb, Joltin' Joe and Babe Ruth:

                            https://bigthink.com/videos/in-prais...n-Ilh41VT3IbOc
                            Last edited by Badge714; 12-08-2018, 09:10 AM.
                            ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                            Comment


                            • Babe crosses plate SMALL.jpg No wonder he had a rep for swinging outside of the strike zone. Even some BB that were not intentional, they often never gave him anything to hit. I wonder what his career OBA would have been if he stayed in the zone swinging. Sure more career walks would have lowered his cumulative stats but what an OBA, .500 possibility. Babe Walks.jpg

                              Comment


                              • What is the latest in the season Ruth was still batting .400?
                                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X