No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of us have read the article. Nice that someone took the time to record an audio version.

https://youtu.be/3lqcw7HJpLc

Comment

• Babe Ruth NY Tribune 1920.JPG NY Tribune 1920. I doubt no matter what we read about Babe, no way to ever know the impact, people in that time how they viewed him. Here comes a hitter hitting more home runs than some teams. Obvious that could never be done in modern times, or not even by Ruth after a few years in the league. But, that does not change the fact that he did it. Here comes a hitter not only hitting balls deep into the stands, but over them, out of parks, over buildings outside the park. They had to be more than amazed, almost in disbelief. Often in the 1920s and early 1930s on trains, he would eat in a separate dining car. When eating with the team that dining car would be jammed with people wanting to see Babe Ruth.
      In 1930 when Bob Shawkey managed in 1930, that would change, "all" Yankee players eat in the same dining car. That lasted about a week or two, Babe eating with the team, again the dining car disrupted by people walking through, to take a look at the Babe. Babe, back to eating in another dining car.

Comment

• I don't know if it was already discussed or if this is the appropriate thread, but I have a question about the bat that Ruth used to hit his legendary 60th homer.
        First of all let me tell that I am a baseball aficionado from Italy. I love baseball as a sport but what I really adore is baseball in the early 20th century, the end of the dead ball, with all the myths and legends surrounding it. But I am no expert whatsoever. And I want to know more everyday about it.
        So, I was browsing the Heritage Auctions archives and found they sold a bat last year as the bat that Ruth used for the 60th home run. I was reading the description and was surprised to see that at Cooperstown they also have a bat recognised as the legendary bat. So, my question is, which one is the real one? Is it even possible to be 100% sure? I thought that the one in Cooperstown would be the real deal, but Heritage claims different.
        Thank for any help

Comment

• Originally posted by marmat View Post
          I don't know if it was already discussed or if this is the appropriate thread, but I have a question about the bat that Ruth used to hit his legendary 60th homer.
          First of all let me tell that I am a baseball aficionado from Italy. I love baseball as a sport but what I really adore is baseball in the early 20th century, the end of the dead ball, with all the myths and legends surrounding it. But I am no expert whatsoever. And I want to know more everyday about it.
          So, I was browsing the Heritage Auctions archives and found they sold a bat last year as the bat that Ruth used for the 60th home run. I was reading the description and was surprised to see that at Cooperstown they also have a bat recognised as the legendary bat. So, my question is, which one is the real one? Is it even possible to be 100% sure? I thought that the one in Cooperstown would be the real deal, but Heritage claims different.
          Thank for any help
          No.It is not possible to be a 100% sure at this late date.Both bats are authentic Babe Ruth bats from 1927 and are believed to have been game-used by Ruth,but there is no way to be 100% certain to either bat being the bat he used to hit number 60.I am especially skeptical about the one in the HOF.I am 100% sure that the bat supposedly used by Ruth to hit the first homer in Yankee Stadium(in 1923) that is on display at the HOF is NOT the right bat!!That bat sold for $1,265,000.00 on auction.If John Taube,the man who authenticated this(1923) bat,wants proof I have it!Taube is also the fellow who says they have this 60th homer bat to sell.He makes a good case for his claim,but I am sure he doesn`t say that there is a 100% chance that the bat is the real deal!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

No.It is not possible to be a 100% sure at this late date.Both bats are authentic Babe Ruth bats from 1927 and are believed to have been game-used by Ruth,but there is no way to be 100% certain to either bat being the bat he used to hit number 60.I am especially skeptical about the one in the HOF.I am 100% sure that the bat supposedly used by Ruth to hit the first homer in Yankee Stadium(in 1923) that is on display at the HOF is NOT the right bat!!That bat sold for $1,265,000.00 on auction.If John Taube,the man who authenticated this(1923) bat,wants proof I have it!Taube is also the fellow who says they have this 60th homer bat to sell.He makes a good case for his claim,but I am sure he doesn`t say that there is a 100% chance that the bat is the real deal!
            Thanks.
            Where I can find more info about the 1923 bat?

Comment

• Originally posted by marmat View Post

Thanks.
              Where I can find more info about the 1923 bat?
              Just go to YouTube and type in 'Jeter Babe Ruth bat'.You can get a very good view of the bat during a minute or so clip of a 2009 ceremony at home plate.Then go and google "Babe Ruth cork grip bat 1923'.He had placed an order for these cork grip bats a couple of weeks before the season.There are several photos of Ruth holding one of these bats before the game.There were lots of photography that day because it was the first game ever at brand new Yankee Stadium.It was the Yankees' first game of the season as well.74,500 fans-the biggest crowd in the history of sports at that time.Nobody else hit a homer that day,so if Ruth had not hit a homer until the next day then there would be no photos because the fanfare is over-there were only 11,000 fans the next day(school and work week)few if any photographers.I have no doubt that Ruth did use a cork grip bat that looked nothing like the bat that sold for over a million dollars.You can google "Babe Ruth Vincent Orsatti bat' to get the information on that bat you will see in YouTube Jeter clip.For whatever reason,Ruth didn`t send Orsatti the actual bat he used that day.
              Last edited by Nimrod; 04-20-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

Just go to YouTube and type in 'Jeter Babe Ruth bat'.You can get a very good view of the bat during a minute or so clip of a 2009 ceremony at home plate.Then go and google "Babe Ruth cork grip bat 1923'.He had placed an order for these cork grip bats a couple of weeks before the season.There are several photos of Ruth holding one of these bats before the game.There were lots of photography that day because it was the first game ever at brand new Yankee Stadium.It was the Yankees' first game of the season as well.74,500 fans-the biggest crowd in the history of sports at that time.Nobody else hit a homer that day,so if Ruth had not hit a homer until the next day then there would be no photos because the fanfare is over-there were only 11,000 fans the next day(school and work week)few if any photographers.I have no doubt that Ruth did use a cork grip bat that looked nothing like the bat that sold for over a million dollars.You can google "Babe Ruth Vincent Orsatti bat' to get the information on that bat you will see in YouTube Jeter clip.For whatever reason,Ruth didn`t send Orsatti the actual bat he used that day.
                Just Baseball, not sports. Dempsey-Carpentier July 2nd, 1921 -- Boyle's Thirty Acres, New Jersey. Attendance: Low estimate 75K - high 90K --- recorded gate: $1,789,000.
                Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 04-20-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• I guess you had to be in those times to understand, what an impact he had, on the game and the public. babe ruth number of articles.JPG
                  Attached Files

Comment

• One of the best hitting teams in both leagues, the Tigers. He also one hit the Tigers in that year. A ground ball off Ruth's leg, deflected to infielder, runner bet the throw to first. Babe Ruth 2 hits Tigers August 1916.JPG
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Babe Ruth Alexander 1916 WS Dodgers.JPG

Comment

• Can you post the rest of Alexander's article?
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                          Can you post the rest of Alexander's article?
                          I might need a day or two. Not a sure thing,loads of article on the Babe. You enter a name and a couple or few hundred articles come up, then you search. What helps the article had to be from 1918 just before the World Series, that narrows the time frame. I'll take a look.

Comment

• Babe Ruth pinch hit HRJune 12 1916.JPG

Comment

• Text missing in the above. Babe Ruth 3 run pinch homer June 12, 1916. Browns 4 Bosox 3.

Comment

• I'm sure this has been discussed before. Did the Babe actually copy Joe Jackson's swing? I know there is a well known quote that has Ruth saying that he did. Is the quote authentic? When and to who did Ruth say this to? I find it hard to believe that Ruth copied Jackson's swing since Ruth probably never saw Jackson play until Ruth was reach the majors. That seems kind of late to be changing one's swing wholesale.
                                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X