No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One story from Joe Dugan told about an event that took place in Saint Louis. Babe and him driving in the black section saw a group of black kids sitting on some tenement steps. They recognized him called out his name. He parked, spent some time talking to the kids. When he left, he opened his trunk and left them with a number of bats, mitts and baseballs. So sad that some of the great black players were not in the game in that time period. The early history of the game would have been so enhanced if they were in the game in that time.

Comment

• Ruth visits another young boy at home, unlike Johnny Sylvester, this was a sad ending, Chicago 1932. The boy was injured and blinded in an explosion, Ruth gave him a baseball. Ruth's teammate who was with him said Ruth left in tears. He knew what the boy had not been told yet, he would never regain his sight. Z Babe visits blind boy..jpg

Comment

• New website celebrating Babe's 1921 season.

https://baberuth1921.jimdosite.com/

Comment

• Ruth article:

xz.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by elmer View Post
            Ruppert Stad.

over deep bleacher corner
            I believe this to be were the ball landed.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Babe Ruth first Homer at stadium Feb 19 1923.JPG Before the first official home run in April in Yankee Stadium.........

Comment

• Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post

I believe this to be were the ball landed.
                https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...ge/mr_00006082

aa.jpg

Comment

• Going on memory for this video Bruce, saw this some years ago and have it saved somewhere.
                  Ruppert Stadium in New Jersey mid 1930s. Looks to be either the ball bounced in the seating area and out of the park.
                  Or was hit out of the park one the fly. I base this on the spectators we can see looking over the wall.

Not easy to pick up but as Ruth rounds second base and nearing 3rd base, I can hear some conversation. Not sure who was speaking but sounded like the words..."he really got a hold of that one didn't he"

This is one of my favorite videos of the Babe swinging, you can tell by the crack, sound of the ball, he got all of it.
                  Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-31-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Holy smokes. At that age creating that kind of bat speed. So committed whether contact or not which is why we see his swings and misses almost corkscrew him into the ground. That crack of the bat. I recall Buck O'Neill talking about how unique the sound was off of Ruth's bat. Said the same about Josh Gibson and I believe Bo Jackson. Just a different sound. Even time machining. Can you imagine Ruth with all his natural gifts, wearing a helmet, batting gloves, small zone, bright clean ball, in 330/375/400 parks with perfect hitter backdrops using a 32 ounce pine tarred bat. I'm sorry but don't give me this segregation nonsense.

Look at Goose he was .321/.386/.514 on the road and normally you'd expect a home edge of like 5-7% I think. Guys back then dealt with stuff I think modern players would throw in the towel and run home to mommy. Love of the game was real.

Great video. Thank you for posting that.

Comment

• Great video! Incredible power. Some people just have "it."

I see nothing about that swing that couldn't translate to modern times.
                      Last edited by scottmitchell74; 05-31-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                        Great video! Incredible power. Some people just have "it."

I see nothing about that swing that couldn't translate to modern times.
                        To be considered, that was the old Babe. Not sure of the date, if I recall around mid 1930s and Babe around 40 years old.
                        Some kind of freak. In 1935 his wife Claire begged him to retire, legs were gone. Bad legs, not feeling good at all 1935, Forbes Fields . A 3 homer game and number 714 over the roof in right field.
                        Number 714 was hit off of Guy Bush one of the Cubs in the 1932 World Series and Babe's chief tormentor's in that WS.
                        Bush recalled in 1935, Babe was fat and old but still had that great swing, you could hear the bat go swish when he missed.
                        That 714, I have never seen a ball hit so far before or since. That ball got small real fast and gone out if the park.
                        When he rounded third, I said to myself, I've seen it all now Babe.
                        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 06-01-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Babe Ruth colorized film:

edit: there is also great footage of McGraw and some Giants practicing at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvmkAnqJvw
                          Last edited by bluesky5; 07-18-2021, 08:15 AM.
                          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
                            Is it really unthinkable to believe that Ruth might have emulated and took tips from perhaps the greatest slugger baseball had ever seen to that point? Or... are we to simply and blindly Genuflect At The Altar of Ruth and worship him as a deity who was created and made perfect from the day he first started playing baseball?
                            Every player patterns some part of their game after those who came before them.

Comment

• Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post

Every player patterns some part of their game after those who came before them.
                              I have read CSH (Floyd) constantly disrespect Babe Ruth supporters and accuse them of hero worship and the like, all while being a hardcore Cobb defender at all costs. Smells funny.

But aside from that. If this is referencing Babe Ruth emulating himself after Shoeless Joe, there is no evidence Babe Ruth ever saw him play before he became a pro. And before he ever became a pro he was hitting distance home runs at St. Mary's. Brothers from St Mary;s attest that his style never changed. But here's an avenue that might be possible....

Around 1910/1911 Babe Ruth would have been established as a 15/16 year old stud on his youth teams, playing a few years above his age. But someone might have told him how Jackson looked while hitting. Maybe he heard it second hand and altered his stance or swing a bit and that is where his comments come from. Who knows. Seems clear he admired him and in later years wanted pay respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                                Down on the farm. No distance from target given. Babe shoots outline of an Indian on a tin plate mounted on tree. Some time late 1920s-early 1930s.
                                Matt Dillon had nothing on him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X