*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Some fun stuff. What's the story behind the naming of the Baby Ruth candy bar? The maker of the candy bar, Curtiss Candy Company, has always denied the candy bar was named after George Herman Ruth. But according to Snopes.com their official story is full of holes. Did the Babe ever try to go after the Curtiss Candy Company with a lawsuit?

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/babyruth.asp
    Nice to see some company on this thread, I was getting lonely the the last month or more.

Anyway the artcle you included should be read by those who want the real story about the naming of the BabyRuth candy bar. Did not read it at this time but have read a good number . Going from memory I can tell all, Curtiss Candy gave the silliest story about the naming of the candy bar as the readers will see right off. One line I remember declared that when the candy bar came out The Babe was not yet famous................1921 Babe not famous. Don't know if it contained in your article but when Babe came out with his own candy bar, Curtiss took him to court and his candy bar was no more. One article I read tells of a hugh box Ruth had in the Yankee clubhouse containing hundreds of candy bar wrappers sent by young boys for Ruth to autograph.

Charlie Root tried to sneak one past the Bam in 1932 and we know what happened then. Well Curtiss in a way also got slammed out of the park although it took some years 1995. They agreed to bargain with the Babe Ruth estate and PAY ( about time) to use the likeness and name of Babe Ruth. They may have been taken over by Nabisco but what ever the case Babe's estate, his family is getting some big bucks.

The Bam is still hitting them out, others who have at one time or are still paying his estate for use of his image and name, just some....Sears, Lipton, Coka Cola, IBM, Prudential Insurance, E.F Hutton ( Listen up) and Curtiss or could be Nabisco at this time.

I have two life size cardboard figures of Babe, one not shown with just him holding bats. Another which I will attach in this post. It is only a portion of the figure at the top. This appeared in supermarkets all over the country, it was the Babe's 100th birthday and was the year Cutiss made the deal with his estate in 1995.
    Attached Files

Comment

What does "shaking hands promiscuously" mean?
      Notwithstanding his malapropic nature, I think The Babe's use of the word "promiscously" in the phrase above is likely not a mistake. It just means he shouldn't be shaking every hand thrust before him. Sounds like a prudent policy for a guy who makes his living with his grip.

It certainly was iconic of him, though, to choose that particular adverb (or, should I say ironic?)

On a reminiscent note, I remember when Archie Bunker used to celebrate V-D Day, instead of V-E Day. Who knows, maybe he knew exactly what he was saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
        Notwithstanding his malapropic nature, I think The Babe's use of the word "promiscously" in the phrase above is likely not a mistake. It just means he shouldn't be shaking every hand thrust before him. Sounds like a prudent policy for a guy who makes his living with his grip.
        It certainly was iconic of him, though, to choose that particular adverb (or, should I say ironic?)

On a reminiscent note, I remember when Archie Bunker used to celebrate V-D Day, instead of V-E Day. Who knows, maybe he knew exactly what he was saying.
        There was a reason, a fear on the part of the Yankee owners. That standing in line shaking dozens of hands that he might injure a finger. Sounds funny with those hugh hands the person on the other end might be the one injured.

Notice his words on that list of things he was not supposed to do, he says "I "can't" shake hands, he really didn't care.

Does sound silly but not impossible to injure a finger, the last thing the Yankee owners wanted to see, Babe out of action even short time. In one exhibition game when he did not show up at game time a number of those who had paid demanded their money back. He was late but he did get to the game.

Comment

Some fun stuff. What's the story behind the naming of the Baby Ruth candy bar? The maker of the candy bar, Curtiss Candy Company, has always denied the candy bar was named after George Herman Ruth. But according to Snopes.com their official story is full of holes. Did the Babe ever try to go after the Curtiss Candy Company with a lawsuit?

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/babyruth.asp
          The story is, Baby Ruth was then, and still is, profiting off of Babe's name. Funny how they are the official MLB candy bar ain't it.

Anyway, rough stretch for Ruth. He lost his case against the makers of the Ruth home-run films, because the court said he was a public figure. Then he protested Curtiss and it didn't do any good. So he then comes out with his own Ruth's Home Run Candy Bar, but Curtiss complained which resulted in the patent office refusing Ruth's new idea.

In Smelser....

Letter from Curtiss, April 6, 1972

We have your letter of April 4th, requesting information concerning the origin of our trademark "Babe Ruth".

You will be interested in knowing that our candy bar made it's [sic] initial appearance in 1921 some years before Babe Ruth, the ball player, became famous. The similarity of the names, therefore is purely coincidental.
          Our cany bar was actually names [sic] after President Cleveland't daughter, Baby Ruth Cleveland, who visited the Curtiss Cany Company plant years ago when the company was getting started and this largely influenced the Company's founder to name the candy bar "Babe Ruth"....

Very truly yours,
          Robert L. Zimmerman
          Administration Manager

Ruth Cleveland, born October 3, 1891, died of diphtheria on January 7, 1904.

(Curtiss founded in 1916)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
            The story is, Baby Ruth was then, and still is, profiting off of Babe's name. Funny how they are the official MLB candy bar ain't it.

Anyway, rough stretch for Ruth. He lost his case against the makers of the Ruth home-run films, because the court said he was a public figure. Then he protested Curtiss and it didn't do any good. So he then comes out with his own Ruth's Home Run Candy Bar, but Curtiss complained which resulted in the patent office refusing Ruth's new idea.

In Smelser....

We have your letter of April 4th, requesting information concerning the origin of our trademark "Babe Ruth".

You will be interested in knowing that our candy bar made it's [sic] initial appearance in 1921 some years before Babe Ruth, the ball player, became famous. The similarity of the names, therefore is purely coincidental.
            Our cany bar was actually names [sic] after President Cleveland't daughter, Baby Ruth Cleveland, who visited the Curtiss Cany Company plant years ago when the company was getting started and this largely influenced the Company's founder to name the candy bar "Babe Ruth"....

Very truly yours,
            Robert L. Zimmerman
            Administration Manager

It doesn't get any funnier than that line.

Comment

[O]ur candy bar was actually names [sic] after President Cleveland't daughter, Baby Ruth Cleveland, who visited the Curtiss Cany Company plant years ago when the company was getting started and this largely influenced the Company's founder to name the candy bar "Babe Ruth"....

What's wrong with this picture?

And they got actually got away with this!?!

Comment

What's wrong with this picture?

And they got actually got away with this!?!
                Good question. I wonder if the laws were different in Ruth's time? Something like this wouldn't hold up today.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• The candy bar came out I believe with the hype of back-to-back championships by the Red Sox in 1916 not 1921.

Comment

I wonder if the laws were different in Ruth's time? Something like this wouldn't hold up today.
                    Yeah, next thing we know Nestle' will be claiming Butterfingers weren't named after Bill Buckner*.

*Sorry, I couldn't resist. I apologize in advance to all the avid Buckner apologists out there - duly and dutifully noting how truly great a player he was (before his atypical and tragically ill-timed error of '86.) (The one that didn't lose it for the Sox**.)

Comment

Yeah, next thing we know Nestle' will be claiming Butterfingers weren't named after Bill Buckner*.

*Sorry, I couldn't resist. I apologize in advance to all the avid Buckner apologists out there - duly and dutifully noting how truly great a player he was (before his atypical and tragically ill-timed error of '86.) (The one that didn't lose it for the Sox**.)
                      Yuo kill me sometimes, Proctor!
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
                        The candy bar came out I believe with the hype of back-to-back championships by the Red Sox in 1916 not 1921.
                        From what I understand the Curtiss Candy Company, founded in 1916, produced a candy call the Kandy Kake. They altered the candy bar in 1921 and called it the Baby Ruth. Coincidence?

Comment

In Smelser....

Very truly yours,
                          Robert L. Zimmerman
                          Administration Manager

That is just lame. Ruth not famous in 1921?

Comment

From what I understand the Curtiss Candy Company, founded in 1916, produced a candy call the Kandy Kake. They altered the candy bar in 1921 and called it the Baby Ruth. Coincidence?
                            Well, first they named it after Kandy Kake Buchanan, after President Buchanan visited the factory with his family. It was a very patriotic candy bar, albeit a bit nutty.

Comment

Well, first they named it after Kandy Kake Buchanan, after President Buchanan visited the factory with his family. It was a very patriotic candy bar, albeit a bit nutty.
                              We need an comedy forum just for you Proctor...

Comment

• A head up folks. On a non-baseball forum I created a thread and asked the following questions:

"How much do you know about Babe Ruth? Do you know who he is?"

I wanted to see how well know the Babe is known today to non-hardcore baseball fans. I'll post some responses soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X