No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe it. The 1991 Babe Ruth film with Stephen Lang is on YouTube!. Better watch before it's taken down.

Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-13-2022, 02:34 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• So I just finished watching this film. I thought it was solid film, not great. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the pace was a little slow. But it's definitely a huge, huge steps above the 1948 and 1992 Ruth films which were both just total dreck. Stephen Lang played Ruth with respect. Lang played Ruth as a three dimensional character and not just the silly buffoon caricature. Ruth was portrayed as smart, ambitious, but had poor impulse control. The relationship between the Babe and Helen was interesting. Lang even looked like Ruth, big and burly but not an obese slob like John Goodman. The film was based on two books:

Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend by Kal Wagenheim

Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert W. Creamer

Oh, and Pete Rose as Ty Cobb was hilarious!

Brother Matthias was played by actor William Lucking. He has another connection to Babe Ruth. In 1982 he was an episode of the TV series "Voyagers!". The show is about a man and boy who travel throughout history "fixing" history that was changed. In one episode they land in NYC in 1927 and they discover that the Babe was never sold to the Yankees and Yankee Stadium was never built. So the duo have to fix this by going back to 1919. William Lucking plays Babe Ruth! Here's the episode.

https://www.nbc.com/voyagers/video/c...e-babe/4091462
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-13-2022, 02:46 PM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        So I just finished watching this film. I thought it was solid film, not great. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the pace was a little slow. But it's definitely a huge, huge steps above the 1948 and 1992 Ruth films which were both just total dreck. Stephen Lang played Ruth with respect. Lang played Ruth as a three dimensional character and not just the silly buffoon caricature. Ruth was portrayed as smart, ambitious, but had poor impulse control. The relationship between the Babe and Helen was interesting. Lang even looked like Ruth, big and burly but not an obese slob like John Goodman. The film was based on two books:

Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend by Kal Wagenheim

Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert W. Creamer

Oh, and Pete Rose as Ty Cobb was hilarious!

Brother Matthias was played by actor William Lucking. He has another connection to Babe Ruth. In 1982 he was an episode of the TV series "Voyagers!". The show is about a man and boy who travel throughout history "fixing" history that was changed. In one episode they land in NYC in 1927 and they discover that the Babe was never sold to the Yankees and Yankee Stadium was never built. So the duo have to fix this by going back to 1919. William Lucking plays Babe Ruth! Here's the episode.

https://www.nbc.com/voyagers/video/c...e-babe/4091462
        Honus I checked it out, I thought you were speaking about the full length movie starring Stephen Lang, 1991 and made only for TV.
        I did not see that. Is it possible were speaking of that movie and it was already removed, it's not there, only two or three minute trailers.

I have searched for that Stephen Lang, for a decade it is no where to be found.

Comment

• OK HWR I went back and read your post, you were speaking of a different movie.
          Was OK but I'm still searching for the real thing, Stehen Lang......................and no luck..

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
            OK HWR I went back and read your post, you were speaking of a different movie.
            Was OK but I'm still searching for the real thing, Stehen Lang......................and no luck..

Looks like you can watch it here but you have to register and pay $1 for trial.

Nevermind I see HWR already found a youtube link for full movie
            Last edited by GoslinFan; 08-13-2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
              OK HWR I went back and read your post, you were speaking of a different movie.
              Go to post #2640. I posted the Youtube link to the full Stephen Lang movie.
              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-13-2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Go to post #2640. I posted the Youtube link to the full Stephen Lang movie.
                I did read 2640 HWR, I misunderstood you I went to Youtube on my smart TV.
                I did connect on my PC, thanks.

Comment

• Ok well just watched that movie and I have to say it was a step up from the Goodman film but that bar is low. Some inconsistent facts and hard to cram his life into a tv movie, Needs to be a 10 part documentary like last dance was and there needs to be sticklers for accuracy producing it.

The St Mary's could be an entire chapter. This movie has a pudgy kid hitting homer off Matthias and that's it. Literally doesn't mention him pitching.

And didn't mention Baltimore or Dunn. Says he went to the Sox. Yeah better than most but still not good enough imo.
                  Last edited by GoslinFan; 08-14-2022, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoslinFan View Post
                    Ok well just watched that movie and I have to say it was a step up from the Goodman film but that bar is low. Some inconsistent facts and hard to cram his life into a tv movie, Needs to be a 10 part documentary like last dance was and there needs to be sticklers for accuracy producing it.

The St Mary's could be an entire chapter. This movie has a pudgy kid hitting homer off Matthias and that's it. Literally doesn't mention him pitching.

And didn't mention Baltimore or Dunn. Says he went to the Sox. Yeah better than most but still not good enough imo.
                    Yeah, the film is just over 90 minutes so they were going to skip a lot of things. Plus, movies are never 100% accurate. They can't be. The script takes precedence. I thought Stephen Lang did a great job in the role of Ruth

Comment

Yeah, the film is just over 90 minutes so they were going to skip a lot of things. Plus, movies are never 100% accurate. They can't be. The script takes precedence. I thought Stephen Lang did a great job in the role of Ruth
                      I see what you're saying but it doesn't take much time to be accurate, especially since they supposedly based it on two very good biographies. Not a single frame of him pitching or fielding. It was a look back narration year by year which was okay it covered 1922 and 1925 well. I was hoping during the "called shot" scene that it would cut to that real footage we have all seen rather than blatantly pointing hollywood style.

There were many things. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 which is pretty good that Goodman movie was a 2 imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoslinFan View Post

I see what you're saying but it doesn't take much time to be accurate, especially since they supposedly based it on two very good biographies. Not a single frame of him pitching or fielding. It was a look back narration year by year which was okay it covered 1922 and 1925 well. I was hoping during the "called shot" scene that it would cut to that real footage we have all seen rather than blatantly pointing hollywood style.

There were many things. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 which is pretty good that Goodman movie was a 2 imo.
                        I agree the called shot was silly Hollywood nonsense. I was wondering if the actual footage was discovered before 1991? Wikipedia says the film footage first came to light in the early 1970's but the film footage was unknown to a wider audience until the late 1980's. The filmmaker may not have been aware of the film footage. Wiikpedia also said that a second film footage shot by a different person was discovered in 1999.

Comment

I can't believe it. The 1991 Babe Ruth film with Stephen Lang is on YouTube!. Better watch before it's taken down.

At 1:04:56 seconds in notice how high the catcher set up , this is one reason you can't compare players from different era's, the circumstance's were not the same.

Comment

• Mickey Cochrane - Roger Bresnahan - Ray Schalk others

Unknown.jpg brj-2010-summer-060.jpg hh.jpg Unknown-3.jpg 1920_Ray_Schalk.jpg
                            Last edited by elmer; 08-15-2022, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• ^^^^^^^When did catchers start doing a full squat? From pretty much all the Dead Ball era film I've seen the catchers only did a partial squat. Every catcher in this film clip is only doing a partial squat.

Comment

^^^^^^^When did catchers start doing a full squat? From pretty much all the Dead Ball era film I've seen the catchers only did a partial squat. Every catcher in this film clip is only doing a partial squat.

Job well done. No one is trying to denigrate baseball from that era , but fact is the game was still evolving. I believe catchers started the full squat in the late 40's.
                                Last edited by carsdaddy; 08-15-2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X