*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoslinFan View Post

Pujols, Edmonds, Andruw, among many many others.

Did anyone suggest you can hit with just your upper body? Seriously asking. Where did anyone say that?

See this swing....https://youtu.be/LoazdrpJP2o

The point is, if you start with feet apart, you have already created your stride, and there is a timing mechanism but not an extreme weight transfer which allows you to wait a split second longer before committing which helps on off-speed pitches. Even Mo Vaughn lifted and lowered his front foot but there was no stride of sorts.

Ruth started narrow and in fact had a long stride. That is not debatable. Was he the first one to do that? I think Joe Jackson didn't have such a long stride but he did have a full swing when he chose. I believe he was the first to hit a ball over the Polo Grounds roof. But yes Babe Ruth was smashing balls with a full fledged swing as a teenager and not cutting down with two strikes made him a fearsome hitter.
    carsdaddy said about Ruth being the first to use his whole body in his swing. Since you can’t swing without arms I assumed he meant before Ruth guys weren’t using their lower body. That wasn’t what he meant. I thought Joe still thought that was what he meant. So that’s why I said that.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• If any moderator is so inclined it would be cool to have these last few exchanges moved to the Burgess thread on Honus Wagner. Here is a link to it:

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...-wagner-thread
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
        If any moderator is so inclined it would be cool to have these last few exchanges moved to the Burgess thread on Honus Wagner. Here is a link to it:

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...-wagner-thread
        Ha Ha-we did get away from the subject of this thread,the Bambino,but even so we still can`t get this thread anywhere near as many pages as Steve Garvey`s Thread!Speaking of base running,someone said that '' a gimpy",37 year old Ruth went from first to third on singles to LEFT field twice in the 1932 World Series!The success rate is only supposed to be 10%.Rigg Stephenson was known to have a weak arm,but still!

Comment

Mays’s base running numbers that are coming out show him to be basically the best ever for players with data. Speaking of Pie Traynor earlier- he shows as one of the best base runners ever not just of his time but all-time. Only thing Mays doesn’t have going for him is that he couldn’t play infield let alone SS like Wagner. Imagine if Mays had the defensive acumen of Wagner or even Robin Yount in that he played SS well. I wonder why Mays never saw infield time like Aaron did? Doby and Irivin were famously a double play duo before integration too.
          Completely different skill set obviously and even up to high school it is common for the best athletes to play center, SS or even both but the unique skills required for center imo are harder to come by so that's probably why he stayed there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

Ha Ha-we did get away from the subject of this thread,the Bambino,but even so we still can`t get this thread anywhere near as many pages as Steve Garvey`s Thread!Speaking of base running,someone said that '' a gimpy",37 year old Ruth went from first to third on singles to LEFT field twice in the 1932 World Series!The success rate is only supposed to be 10%.Rigg Stephenson was known to have a weak arm,but still!
            Base hit to the left of the left fielder in a park that isn't Fenway I could see that happening. Especially given the game situation perhaps the fielder threw to second to keep a double play in order.

Comment

Mays’s base running numbers that are coming out show him to be basically the best ever for players with data. Speaking of Pie Traynor earlier- he shows as one of the best base runners ever not just of his time but all-time. Only thing Mays doesn’t have going for him is that he couldn’t play infield let alone SS like Wagner. Imagine if Mays had the defensive acumen of Wagner or even Robin Yount in that he played SS well. I wonder why Mays never saw infield time like Aaron did? Doby and Irivin were famously a double play duo before integration too.
              Uh....hmmm....

Mays SS.jpg

Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 02-14-2022, 08:42 PM.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Grounder past Mays...

Mays SS1.jpg
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• You know I actually once knew that and you reminded me. I know Mantle played some SS. I think he might have been one when he started in the minors? I’m pretty certain that’s how I found out.

This is the Babe Ruth thread!! Take it to the Mays thread. As a Giants fan it is your duty.

Comment

• Back to Babe!!!!

Babe Ruth played in an exhibition game at Oriole Park in Baltimore on Nov. 10, 1918. In the 4th inning with Babe on 3d
                    the runner on first was caught stealing 2d Ruth running toward home on the play; In sliding to evade the throw Ruth wrenched
                    his knee and limped the rest of the game. The injury was not thought serious
                    at the time but plagued Babe his entire career. In 1944 Babe was finding the pain in the knee more than he liked
                    and had it operated on, The surgeon removing a large piece of cartilage.
                    1920 article.
                    Ruth.jpg Babe.jpg
                    Last edited by elmer; 02-15-2022, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Babe taking the rap for workers not showing up for work. Easy choice, Babe Ruth Menace NY Tribune complete.jpg go to work or see Babe Ruth in your town.

Comment

• Like it was once said,"Babe Ruth he does everything wrong off the field and everything right on the field". I have considered games won, Babe on a great Bosox team and Walter a bad team. Give Walter a good team and he would be way ahead of Babe in games won. But looking at the other stats being second to Walter was some feat. Both leagues in those seasons only one NL pitcher ahead of Babe, Grover Cleveland Alexander.
                        Babe was not Walter Johnson but for a young pitcher in the game, he had 3 very good years. Tied with Ron Guidry for most shutouts by a left hander in modern times in the AL, 9 in 1916..

Babe pitching 1915-16-7..jpg Best defensive pitchers AL 1915-16-17.jpg
                        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-23-2022, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• David Wells Babe tatoo.....edited.jpg We see Babe's numbers so many times , I thought nice to see some Babe tidbits. I'm sure Dave and Babe would have some fun time on the town.

Comment

• When Walter was asked who hit the longest home runs, not a direct answer. ''Babe Ruth's home runs get smaller quicker.''

Babe hr Hats tossed BBF 3-22-22.jpg

Comment

• I couldn't find the best thread to have this conversation but I thought any Babe Ruth thread might be a good start:

Even ignoring PEDs, today's players are much larger and stronger on-average than players 50, 75, 100 years ago. In my time powerlifting I know how strong one can get through proper training and nutrition without PEDs. It's baseball adjacent but I hit softballs a lot harder/further as a grown-a$? man in my 30's with more muscle than I did as a 18-22 year old.

SO, now that we have HR Tracker or whatever the official measurement device and site is, and we have just a few legit 500+ foot home runs from these modern monsters, how in the world did those whiskey-swilling old-timers hit them 500+ so often? I guess I'm pretty sure the Babe and the Mick did, and Kingman's Waveland Ave. is very verifiable, but how many 500+ homers were there really?

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                                I couldn't find the best thread to have this conversation but I thought any Babe Ruth thread might be a good start:

Even ignoring PEDs, today's players are much larger and stronger on-average than players 50, 75, 100 years ago. In my time powerlifting I know how strong one can get through proper training and nutrition without PEDs. It's baseball adjacent but I hit softballs a lot harder/further as a grown-a$? man in my 30's with more muscle than I did as a 18-22 year old.

SO, now that we have HR Tracker or whatever the official measurement device and site is, and we have just a few legit 500+ foot home runs from these modern monsters, how in the world did those whiskey-swilling old-timers hit them 500+ so often? I guess I'm pretty sure the Babe and the Mick did, and Kingman's Waveland Ave. is very verifiable, but how many 500+ homers were there really?
                                Probably not that many ever went 500 feet. Watching games today seem to be a fair number of 470-480 foot homers.
                                Looks like when you get to balls hit 470-480 that last 20 or 30 feet gets tough to get to 500.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X