No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Ruth in obvious decline from age 37-40: These number are still shocking. The man was different.

,BSN 423 1729 1353 308 412 51 12 103 337 7 10 368 239 .305 .455 .588 1.043 177

162 662 518 118 158 20 5 39 129 3 4 141 92
    ​​

Comment

• Great analysis of Babe's 'called shot'

Comment

• Quick Pitch.jpg
        Originally posted by elmer View Post
        Great analysis of Babe's 'called shot'
        https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...-later-part-4/
        Thats very accurate' the article in the post by Elmer, the Called Shot.. Babe may not have pointed to CF indicating that he would hit home run there.
        But it was evident it was the battle of the wills, the Cub bench yelling calling Babe fat, washed up, the hostile home town Chicago crowd hooting at Babe, tossing a few lemons on to the field. On the other side Babe Ruth, yelling making dagger like thrusts at the Cub bench, after the first strike and again after the second called strike. In plain street talk, it takes lots of balls to keep talking............down two strikes.

Charlie Root did say Babe did point at him, possible some thought he was pointing at CF.
        Point or not what he did was more than enough, even a base hit would have been a victory, Babe over the Cubs bench.
        Contrary to some reports, the ball did not land in the bleachers, it went further.
        The ball went beyond the bleachers and struck a ticket booth, entrance to the park.

As great as Babe is, he or no other hitter can just say I'm going to it one out and do it, especially two strikes down..
        So maybe no point, no declaration, I'm hitting one out. But no doubt he intended to shut up the Cub bench

Is he just lucky. 1928 WS, Cards pitcher Sherdel "quick pitches Babe for strike three. No good quick pitch allowed in the NL but agreed, not in the WS.
        Ruth walks out to the mound, to laugh at Sherdel and the protesting Cards, pitch not allowed.
        Home plate, Yelling at Sherdel........................"put one in here"
        Next pitch, home run.

Yanks/Cards World Serie, Babe sends baseball to sick child, Johnny Sylvester.
        You can see the message on the ball.... I'll knock a homer in Wednesday's game". On Wednesday's game 3 home runs.
        Seems like destiny is always/almost always on the side of Babe Ruth.
        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-28-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• So maybe Babe did not actually point to the CF bleachers before hitting the home run at Wrigley................1932 World Series, "Called Shot' game. But it was evident he did inform the Cubs that he was not finished and he had one strike left....................then it's gone. Billy Jurges.jpg

Comment

• Not sure, his greatest love, the game or the kids. Babe home run Fenway CF July 23 1928 Ice Cream Kids..jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
              Not sure, his greatest love, the game or the kids. Babe home run Fenway CF July 23 1928 Ice Cream Kids..jpg
              If Ruth was so chummy with kids these days he would probably be accused of being 'creepy' and a potential child molester. A few money hungry people might even make accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

If Ruth was so chummy with kids these days he would probably be accused of being 'creepy' and a potential child molester. A few money hungry people might even make accusations.
                Funny thing happened with Babe, had to do with kids. Pantages a booking agency paid Babe $100,000.00 to do a 12 week stage show in 1926. Not an actor no act, all he would do would be to banter, kid with the crowd and did well. So, after one act he was arrested and booked, paid 500 bucks bail and released. Here is where the kids come in, arrested for violating California Child Labor Act. Why, because he invited some kids on stage, joked with them, played catch with them. I guess California considered that putting them to work.
                He never showed for trial and charge was dropped.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Funny thing happened with Babe, had to do with kids. Pantages a booking agency paid Babe $100,000.00 to do a 12 week stage show in 1926. Not an actor no act, all he would do would be to banter, kid with the crowd and did well. So, after one act he was arrested and booked, paid 500 bucks bail and released. Here is where the kids come in, arrested for violating California Child Labor Act. Why, because he invited some kids on stage, joked with them, played catch with them. I guess California considered that putting them to work.
                  He never showed for trial and charge was dropped.
                  Nowadays he would be charged with child endangerment for playing catch with them.

Comment

• Do any of our Ruth scribes here have Babe's unofficial intentional walks between 1915-1923, by year? Retrosheet has him with 40 IBB in 1923, which is purportedly 100% complete, now.

However, here is what I read, and some old research I conducted, and, requisite poorly founded suppositions I made 15 years ago.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
                      Do any of our Ruth scribes here have Babe's unofficial intentional walks between 1915-1923, by year? Retrosheet has him with 40 IBB in 1923, which is purportedly 100% complete, now.

However, here is what I read, and some old research I conducted, and, requisite poorly founded suppositions I made 15 years ago.)
                      Very difficult to find his IBB, I have found some nor listed in Retrosheet, no knock on Retrosheet, use it often.
                      Boston Globe in 1918 he was walked his last 3 at bats in one game, first two at bats the next game, 5 consecutive IBB.

Babe Ruth 3 IBB June 16 1918 lower.jpg

Comment

• Unusual IBBs here, he bats right handed, twice in one game. He had already hit two home run in this game.
                        I doubt they feared him RH but were taking no chance after what took place earlier in the week with Cleveland.
                        Cleveland about to give him a IBB and he bats RH for a strike I believe. After one pitch he turns to the left side.
                        Mound conference, maybe deciding , pitch or walk him. They pitch and hits the first pitch into the bleachers.

Babe Ruth IBB August 5 11th inning 1923.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X