Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Thee John Peter Wagner of engineering would probably be Robert Goddard, the "father" of modern rocketry, a quiet, unassuming man. The Babe Ruth of engineering would certainly be Thomas Edison. The Ty Cobb of engineering would be Nikola Tesla.
    Interesting choices, especially for Tyrus. Seems Tesla was sort of a mad scientist, a little like Emmit Brown in Back to the Future, but he contributed to many different things. And Edison, primarily known for electricity, first became famous for the phonograph, which is sorta like Ruth's pitching. Didn't realize he has over 1000 patents in his name though, wow. Interesting Edison was the last of seven children and Ruth was the first of eight. Geez, there's his last breath in a test tube at the Henry Ford Museum, lol. Creepy.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      I think many people have the image of a "fat" Ruth because I would think most Ruth film was taken in the second half of his career when Ruth put on weight. Most people have never seen photos of Ruth Boston days or early Yankee days when he was still lean and strong looking.
      Yes at times he put it on took it off and carried more then he would have liked to in later years. Not only do many have that later in life heavier image of Babe but I would bet they can't image him hustling, just eating some dogs, hitting one and the home run trot. He had more than a few collisions with catchers at home, one video of him sliding home...........head first, knocking himself out at Griffith after hitting the brick wall. You don't do all the things he did unless your a fierce competitor, go all out.

      Most have probably seen this one in my earlier posts but for those who did not see it, how many could even dream even the younger Babe Ruth could have done this.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • I'm not sure this has been posted before. It's a video of Ruth facing the Big Train at a WW II fundraising event at Yankee Stadium in 1942.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9D0...eature=related
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

        Comment


        • Anyone know how to post youtube videos directly into posts?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
            Anyone know how to post youtube videos directly into posts?
            I was thinking about that as well.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              I was thinking about that as well.
              There has to be a way. Seen it done before. I would love to put a few Babe ones up in this thread.

              Comment


              • where can I purchase replica photo's

                looking through the babe Ruth thread, I was thinking I had never seen most of the photo's being posted. These are great pictures! I'd love to get copies of a few on the thread, most notably the picture of Babe Ruth and his dad at Ruth's Cafe. Where in the world would I go to buy a copy of that picture that's decent sized and clear. Also, the 1914 Orioles team photo (w/ Ruth) and his rookie card (w/ the Orioles) have been in the press recently because very rare originals were found and auctioned off. I'd love copies of those as well, does anybody know of any sites or stores that specialize in procuring not only those images, but rare vintage sports images in general? please e-mail me @ [email protected], greatly appreciated!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bomes51 View Post
                  looking through the babe Ruth thread, I was thinking I had never seen most of the photo's being posted. These are great pictures! I'd love to get copies of a few on the thread, most notably the picture of Babe Ruth and his dad at Ruth's Cafe. Where in the world would I go to buy a copy of that picture that's decent sized and clear. Also, the 1914 Orioles team photo (w/ Ruth) and his rookie card (w/ the Orioles) have been in the press recently because very rare originals were found and auctioned off. I'd love copies of those as well, does anybody know of any sites or stores that specialize in procuring not only those images, but rare vintage sports images in general? please e-mail me @ [email protected], greatly appreciated!
                  I know this isn't quite what you're asking for, but I think that you would love the book, "The Babe:A Life in Pictures". It has the photo of Ruth and his dad in the saloon, and hundreds of others. The dozens of photos of Ruth visiting kids in hospitals and orphanages touched my heart. There are also some rather raw photos of Ruth and Helen that hint strongly at their upcoming separation.
                  I've heard different stories about the saloon...that Ruth's father owned it, that he was the manager, that he was just a barkeep. I'm not sure what the real story is, but the fact that the Babe would help out there makes me think that his father probably owned the place. I was surprised to see a raw oyster bar in the back of that photo...thought that was a recent development.
                  "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                    I know this isn't quite what you're asking for, but I think that you would love the book, "The Babe:A Life in Pictures". It has the photo of Ruth and his dad in the saloon, and hundreds of others. The dozens of photos of Ruth visiting kids in hospitals and orphanages touched my heart. There are also some rather raw photos of Ruth and Helen that hint strongly at their upcoming separation.
                    I've heard different stories about the saloon...that Ruth's father owned it, that he was the manager, that he was just a barkeep. I'm not sure what the real story is, but the fact that the Babe would help out there makes me think that his father probably owned the place. I was surprised to see a raw oyster bar in the back of that photo...thought that was a recent development.
                    The best book on the Babe you can buy, if it's pictures your interested in. Creamer and Smelsers the two best I have ever read if it's text and details you want.

                    From all that I have gathered over the years Babe's dad George Sr did own a bar at one time. Before that worked with a lightning rod company and spent some time working as a bartender before going into the bar business on his own. As most of us are aware Babe's dad got into a fight in front of the bar, was knocked down and struck his head on the curb or the street. Taken back in to the bar and then rushed to the University Hospital where he died.

                    Supposedly and they should know, the bar was located in centerfield of what we know as Camden Yards.





                    Here is a rare picture of George Ruth Sr
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      The best book on the Babe you can buy, if it's pictures your interested in. Creamer and Smelsers the two best I have ever read if it's text and details you want.

                      From all that I have gathered over the years Babe's dad George Sr did own a bar at one time. Before that worked with a lightning rod company and spent some time working as a bartender before going into the bar business on his own. As most of us are aware Babe's dad got into a fight in front of the bar, was knocked down and struck his head on the curb or the street. Taken back in to the bar and then rushed to the University Hospital where he died.

                      Supposedly and they should know, the bar was located in centerfield of what we know as Camden Yards.
                      ...
                      I think that the man Ruth's father was fighting with was the husband of his wife's sister...Ruth called the man out for supposedly mistreating the woman, and lost the ensuing fight in a big way. I don't think the man intended to seriously injure Ruth, the head striking the curb was an accidental result of the fight. This happened during the 1918 season!
                      I also think that the lightning rod business belonged to Babe's grandfather, not sure if Babe's dad actually inherited the business at some point.
                      The picture book gives a good outline of Ruth's life, but get one of the other bios if you want real detail...Creamer is very good. The photos in the book I mentioned are priceless, though.
                      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                        I think that the man Ruth's father was fighting with was the husband of his wife's sister...Ruth called the man out for supposedly mistreating the woman, and lost the ensuing fight in a big way. I don't think the man intended to seriously injure Ruth, the head striking the curb was an accidental result of the fight. This happened during the 1918 season!
                        I also think that the lightning rod business belonged to Babe's grandfather, not sure if Babe's dad actually inherited the business at some point.
                        The picture book gives a good outline of Ruth's life, but get one of the other bios if you want real detail...Creamer is very good. The photos in the book I mentioned are priceless, though.
                        Thats the same info I have.

                        Comment


                        • Some Babe fans outside his hospital window, April 1925.The flowers, the bat and the mitt.
                          "The Bellyache Heard Round The World."
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 06-14-2008, 06:59 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Great book, one of my favorites one seldom talked about or even heard of.
                            Much of it written by one of the brothers who came to St. Mary's as a ten year old in 1919, short years after the Babe had left St. Mary's. Lots of interesting stuff about life at St. Marys in those years by one who should know.

                            Also covers Babes early years in MLB, Baltimore, Providence and the Red Sox. Don't know if it's still available, maybe Amazon Books, this copy was loaned out by the public library.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • Oldest Living Former Major Leaguer Recalls The Golden Age Of Baseball

                              Oldest MLB: Bill Werber looks at a Yankees magazine that highlighted his days in Major League Baseball at his retirement home in Charlotte, N.C., Friday.

                              Bill Werber steered his motorized wheelchair to the end of the table. The waitress pointed to the lunch menu, but the oldest living ex-major leaguer had no use for it.

                              Days shy of his 100th birthday, Werber knew what he wanted: a hot dog — with onions and a little ketchup. After his first bite, the link to baseball’s golden era began his storytelling.

                              “Babe Ruth hit a home run and I wanted to show them how fast I could run,” Werber said of being driven in by Ruth after drawing a walk in his first major league plate appearance in 1930 with the New York Yankees. “So I get into the dugout, and — finally — Babe got into the dugout. He patted me on the head and said, ’Son, you don’t have to run like that when the Babe hits one.”’

                              Werber chuckled. Ruth’s old teammate may occasionally forget dates and appointments these days, but remembers vivid details of playing ball when games routinely lasted less than two hours, starting pitchers were rarely taken out, and fielders left their gloves on the field when it was their turn to bat.

                              Werber, a career .271 hitter who led the American League in stolen bases three times, is the last of his generation. Just don’t ask him about his impending 100th birthday on Friday.

                              “It’s an annoyance,” said Werber, before taking another bite of his hot dog.

                              According to the Society for American Baseball Research, the next oldest ex-player is 98-year-old Tony Malinosky, who played 35 games for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1937. It’s believed the oldest living former professional player is 102-year-old Millito Navarro, the first Puerto Rican to play in the Negro Leagues.

                              Werber played at a time when baseball was segregated — and had no equal on the American sports landscape.

                              As a collegian, he traveled briefly with the storied 1927 New York Yankees. He was teammates with Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx and Lefty Grove. He hit .370 in the 1940 World Series as the third baseman for the champion Cincinnati Reds, despite playing most of his career in pain after breaking his toe in 1934 by kicking a water cooler in anger.

                              He played for Hall of Fame managers Casey Stengel, Joe McCarthy, Joe Cronin and Bucky Harris, and locked horns in a contract dispute with Connie Mack. Werber was also the leadoff hitter in the first televised game in 1939.
                              “I was vociferous and cocky and if they wanted to fight that was all right for me,” Werber said of his career. “I was ready to go anytime. I’ve mellowed somewhat — and I’m crippled.”

                              Werber, who became a millionaire after baseball by selling life insurance for a company started by his father, has a prosthetic below his left knee following a diabetes-related infection six years ago.

                              “The surgeon gave me a choice: I could cut off my leg or I could cut off my head,” Werber said in his deep, booming voice.

                              Soon Werber spotted an old friend across the dining room of the swank Carriage Club, an assisted-living facility he moved into to be closer to Patricia, one of his three children. She comes over each morning to fix his breakfast.

                              Werber yelled over to Jack Fitch, a college teammate of former Washington Redskins great Charlie “Choo-Choo” Justice at North Carolina. “The reason he’s in the lousy shape he’s in is because he was doing all the blocking for Choo-Choo Justice,” Werber barked for all to hear.

                              “Feed him something, will you?” responded Fitch, in an effort to get Werber to stop talking.

                              There was too much to tell — and too little time — for Werber to stop. Just make sure to speak loudly and clearly when asking the hard-of-hearing Werber to tell another fascinating tale of his life as a 5-foot-10 infielder in the 1930s.

                              “I played bridge with Babe on all the train rides,” Werber began. “He had as his partner Lou Gehrig. I had as my partner Bill Dickey. Now actually, Bill Dickey and I were a lot smarter than Ruth or Gehrig and we always beat them — for $3.50. Not a lot of money.”

                              Werber, whose wife, Kathryn, died in 2000, remains independent. He wheels himself around the facility, reads the newspaper daily — and occasionally pens letters to baseball commissioner Bud Selig. Werber has told Selig he doesn’t think women should sing the national anthem, that games today take too long and that he’s disgusted with the long hair on modern players.

                              “I stopped watching baseball games when Boston won the pennant and they had Johnny Damon in center field and (Manny) Ramirez in left field.” Werber said of the 2004 season. “I thought Johnny Damon, his beard. ... I stopped watching baseball. They’re not role models for young men.

                              “Mr. Selig always responds and always writes me a nice letter — but he never says anything.”

                              Soon Werber shifted back to his era and his pleasant demeanor returned.

                              A rarity for a ballplayer of his time, Werber graduated from college. The Berwyn, Md., native signed with the Yankees after his freshman year at Duke. The contract wouldn’t begin until Werber left school, but scout Paul Krichell thought Werber could learn by spending the summer of ’27 sitting in the dugout and practicing with perhaps the best team in baseball history.

                              Only Werber wasn’t welcome around Murderers’ Row, and left a month later to play in a summer league in North Carolina.

                              “They never let me in the batting cage,” Werber said. “The ’27 Yankees were one of the greatest ballclubs of all time and they didn’t have time to fool around with a college kid.”

                              Werber, who was also Duke’s first All-American basketball player under Eddie Cameron — for which Cameron Indoor Stadium is named — returned to New York after graduating in 1930. He quickly became friendly with the strapping Ruth.

                              Werber was adamant that while Ruth always carried a bottle of whiskey, he never saw his performance suffer from booze.

                              “Whatever he drank he absorbed well,” Werber said. “And he was a kindly man. He didn’t shove these little kids along. They crawled all over his white shoes and his tan pants. He’d go to hospitals, but he’d never take a newspaper man with him and he’d never take a photographer with him.”

                              Werber also was drawn to Ruth’s love of practical jokes. With great detail, Werber recalled how Ruth suckered pitcher Ed Wells into going on a double date with him after a game in Detroit.

                              “When they knocked on the door of the lady’s house, a big, ferocious guy opened the door with a gun and said, ’So you’re the guy who’s been chasing my wife,”’ Werber said. “So Babe said, ’Run, Ed. Run for your life!’ So Ed runs out the door and the gun went off, ’Bang, bang.’ Babe fell down on the porch. Ed ran into a fence, then turned the other way and made it back to the hotel.

                              “The players were sitting around — this was all staged, too — and they said, ’Babe is upstairs. He’s asking for you, but he’s dying.’ So he went up there and they had Babe with talcum powder all over his face and ketchup on his shirt. He thought Babe was dying.

                              “They pulled this stuff on a lot of ballplayers.”

                              After a stint in the minors in Toledo where he didn’t get along with Stengel, whom he called the worst manager he played for, he returned to the Yankees in 1933. Later that season he was sold to the Red Sox.

                              Werber played under Cronin in Boston and was teammates with Grove and Foxx. Werber marveled at Foxx’s talent, yet would get annoyed when the slugger would stop at first after hitting balls off what Werber called the “Iron Monster” at Fenway Park.

                              Werber expressed sadness for how Foxx’s free-spending ways forced him to play longer than he should have.

                              Werber remembered seeing Foxx, then catching for the Chicago Cubs, not react to a pitch. The ball bounced off the bill of his cap.

                              “Next time at bat I said, ’Jimmie, why don’t you get the hell out of here?”’ Werber said. “He said, ’Hee, hee, hee. Man got to eat, hadn’t he?’ Man was catching for the Cubs, but he can’t see the ball.

                              “Nice fellow. Everybody loved Jimmie Foxx.”

                              Boston eventually traded Werber to the Philadelphia Athletics, where he played under the legendary Mack, who also owned the team.

                              At that time, players had to negotiate one-year contracts each season, but could only play for the team that held their rights. After rejecting Mack’s offer in 1939, Werber sat out spring training before he was sold to the Reds.
                              Later that season, Werber led off in baseball’s first televised game at Brooklyn’s Ebbets Field, with Red Barber at the mike. Werber claims he didn’t realize the fascination until 40 years later when a boy reading a trivia book came up to him near his retirement home in Naples, Fla.

                              “He said, ’Hey Mr. Werber, you’re famous. You’re the first player to appear on television in organized ball,”’ Werber said. “And I said, ’Big deal.’ I don’t understand all this fuss.”

                              The conversation had shifted to Werber’s apartment, absent of old baseball pictures or memorabilia. Having moved himself from the wheelchair to his living room chair, Werber pointed with pride to a letter he received a day earlier from an 80-year-old Reds fan. The man raved about Werber’s heroics in the 1940 World Series. In a season marred by the suicide of Cincinnati backup catcher Willard Hershberger, the Reds beat the Tigers in seven games.

                              Werber’s career ended two years later with the New York Giants. After not making more than $13,500 in any season of his 11-year career, he earned an astonishing $100,000 selling life insurance in his first year out of baseball.
                              “I was wasting my time playing baseball,” Werber declared.

                              Werber was silent for a moment, then corrected himself.

                              “No, I enjoyed playing baseball,” he said.

                              Now Werber’s nearly 100-year-old body was getting weary. The storytelling was over for the day.

                              Baseball’s connection to its magical era was ready for his afternoon nap.
                              Last edited by csh19792001; 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Just curious but how many major league players from the 1930s are still alive? The only one that comes to mind is Bob Feller.
                                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X