No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe a poster mentioned two long home runs that Ruth hit in Cincinatti's Redland Field. I can't find that post but I did find the following info on those two home runs, on one of my CDs.

It was of course an exhibition game, Yanks/Reds July 25, 1921.

In the 5th inning bases loaded first pitch, Ruth drove a ball over the CF wall, never done before.
    In the 7th inning with one on Ruth drove a ball into the RF bleachers on the fly, never done before.

Comment

Originally posted by elmer
      neither exceptionally long

Elmer
      No they were not that long probably at least one of them 400+ feet.What made it noteworthy at that time at least to my knowledge that no balls had ever been hit out in those areas and Ruth does so in one game.

Comment

Ruth was virtually the only game in town, such was his superiority
        over the rest.
        I thought I saw a post by you or Sultan stating that the Sing Sing homer
        had later been found to be about a hundred feet shorter than the
        claimed 620'. Do either of you have a source for that?
        That was the usual truth for 99 percent of his originally stated "600' " home runs.

I think this one could be 520'.
        September 6, 1927 Two innings after Gehrig hits his 45th home run to move ahead of Ruth in that first great home run race, the Bambino responds with what may have been the longest home run ever hit at Fenway. "This long one yesterday was the daddy of all others," The Boston Globe reports. "The ball was still climbing when it went high over the highest part of the high fence in center field, just to the left of the flagpole. Nobody at the park could tell where it landed, but when it disappeared it was headed for the Charles River basin." That would be the last time the two would be tied. In his next at bat, Ruth hits another long ball into the right field stands, and in the ninth inning of the second game, he hits another monster blast. During the series, Ruth would hit a record five home runs in three games, pushing his total to 49.
        About 450' where ball went over high wall

Some don't believe a ball can be 'still climbing' at that point but Ruth hit them farther than anyone.
        There are really good diagrams at http://andrewclem.com/Baseball/FenwayPark.html

Elmer
        Last edited by elmer; 12-07-2006, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Elmer,

You have any pics or schematics of the Tampa Fairgrounds?

Comment

lDHR

Yes, but don't know the landing spot of the 579'-587' home run. Also the diamond is not delineated on the Sanborn map.
            I had a photo of the whole area once but sent it to Bill. The diamond the team used was inside the track
            with home plate backed up against the inside edge. It was at the middle part of the track. If you had a diamond
            ring and the diamond were on the inside instead of the outside that would describe where their diamond was.
            there were two other diamonds located in the corners of the track. THere were bleachers behind homeplate on
            the OUTside of the 1/2 miletrack.
            Photo of Plant field here, it can be significantly enlarged, very high resolution
            http://cdm.lib.usf.edu/cdm4/item_vie...B=1&DMROTATE=0

Ruth book should mention the actual distance on the Tampa
            home run. I would but don't want to preempt what Bill puts
            in his book. I can tell you that for me at least what he found
            on this is definitive.

Elmer
            Last edited by elmer; 05-08-2008, 12:29 PM.

Comment

over the rest.
              I

Elmer
              Do you mean by "the only game in town" the fact that Ruth was one of the few swinging for the long ball. Redland Field was in use for many years before Ruth played there in 1921, there had to be some hitters in all those years going for the long ball but to my knowledge no balls were ever hit into those sections on the fly, 380+ to RF and 390+ to CF. Have to check those dimensions there were some changes made around that time but I can tell you that RF at Redland was one of the longest in MLB.

Most of those years were in the deadball era so it was probably more difficult. That is more difficult for most, in the dead ball years, Ruth hit a couple into the CF bleachers at Fenway 488 feet to the wall, a good number over the Polo Grounds roof and out of Sportsmans Park and across Grand Boulevard.

Comment

ldhr

"Most of those years were in the deadball era so it was probably more difficult. That is more difficult for most, in the dead ball years, Ruth hit a couple into the CF bleachers at Fenway 488 feet to the wall, a good number over the Polo Grounds roof and out of Sportsmans Park and across Grand Boulevard."
                488' mark was at the back end of the notch between outer wall and bleachers.

Ruth was one of a kind and certainly the only full time free swinger
                in organized ball when he came up. He is without doubt the most frequent
                longest hitter then or now.

"Kluszewski hit a line drive off a building across Western Avenue from Crosley Field."

Comment

"Most of those years were in the deadball era so it was probably more difficult. That is more difficult for most, in the dead ball years, Ruth hit a couple into the CF bleachers at Fenway 488 feet to the wall, a good number over the Polo Grounds roof and out of Sportsmans Park and across Grand Boulevard."
                  488' mark was at the back end of the notch between outer wall and bleachers.

Ruth was one of a kind and certainly the only full time free swinger
                  in organized ball when he came up. He is without doubt the most frequent
                  longest hitter then or now.

"Kluszewski hit a line drive off a building across Western Avenue from Crosley Field."
                  As a very young boy, taken to a game by my dad I had the pleasure of seeing Ted hit one about a mile, it looked that way. In those days the parent clubs would play an exhibition game in the city of their farm team. The Red's farm team was the Buffalo Bisons. I was very young but even at that age I was amazed at a ball Ted hit here in Buffalo at the old Offerman Stadium. The ball cleared the RF wall and a row of houses across the street, far over the roofs landing on top of the houses behind that first row.

Unfortunate that this is not the practice anymore, not that I know of the parent clubs giving the farm team fans a chance to see the parent club play exhibition in their own city.

Comment

over the rest.
                    I thought I saw a post by you or Sultan stating that the Sing Sing homer
                    had later been found to be about a hundred feet shorter than the
                    claimed 620'. Do either of you have a source for that?
                    That was the usual truth for 99 percent of his originally stated "600' " home runs.

Elmer
                    I did read about this but made no post in reference to that home run. I always assumed that over the years some feet were added to that one.

Comment

ldhr

great shot of that neighborhood you described Klu's homer was hit into.

Click on the photo then click on the little boxes in the next photo

http://fixbuffalo.blogspot.com/2006/...dium-1956.html
                      then try this one, use the scale below, it is 200 feet long, to measure Klu's home run
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixbuffalo/15593413/

Elmer
                      Last edited by elmer; 12-07-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

great shot of that neighborhood you described Klu's homer was hit into.

Click on the photo then click on the little boxes in the next photo

http://fixbuffalo.blogspot.com/2006/...dium-1956.html

Elmer
                        Thanks for that shot, thats the place. Now that my interest in that grand old park is revived I'll have to look at some pics I have of the park on a CD, some where.

Comment

Ldhr

"Unfortunate that this is not the practice anymore, not that I know of the parent clubs giving the farm team fans a chance to see the parent club play exhibition in their own city."

I agree, I know Mantle played in some barnstorming games in the late
                          50's but have no way of knowing where or when. He did play one in YS
                          and one in Shibe that I know of....hit a homer over Willy Mays head to RC
                          at YS.

Elmer

Comment

Babe statue in Japan. This is close to the spot where he hit his first home run on that tour of Japan. I believe it is now a zoo.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is .... yes a Tortilla chip with an image of the Babe burnt on to it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Babe Ruth grave site, from a distance. Articles left from some fans, young and old.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X