*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
    Hello Babe Ruth experts. I just received this email and I don't know how to address it. Can anyone figure out what she is asking? I haven't a clue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: Babe Ruth
    Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:30:43 -0700
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I enjoyed reading your story on the Babe that I found on baseball-fever.com. It seems you are very knowledgable and I was wondering if you know where I can see pictures of the tavern they had....mostly the outside...or any pitures of the babe as a child other than the one at 2 1/2 (I have that one). I have an original photograph that I found in an estate lot of New York Yankee and Baseball memorabelia...and it sure looks like Babe Ruth......and seems to be at about 3 - 4 years old. It was taken outside..and the background may be of the tavern or a fence near it...I am trying to find out as much as I can on where I can compare the items in the picture and the boy in the picture.....also in the same lot is an old caricature drawing (unsigned)...of a older boy with a bat that I also believe to be "The Babe"....any direction would be most appreciated...

Cheryl
    She just emailed me Bill. She has a drawing and a photo.
    No way to tell if the drawing represents Babe, just a kid drawing.

The photo of the young boy, no way to tell if it's Babe.
    The photo she sent is not the only one out there. a couple of months ago Babe's granddaughter Linda sent me the same photo. Asked me if I thought it was the Babe, very young boy. I have no way of knowing, I don't know how anyone could determine.

Comment

• Don't know if this has been posted, but some great film here (most of it I'd seen, a few clips I hadn't).

Ruth set to Gershwin

Some observations:

-We can see Ruth extending his arms as much as he could and expanding the zone. Nothing like Ted Williams (don't think I've ever seen film of him extending like that on the outside). Ted would have probably have laid off those pitches. Hence Babe getting lots of LF hits during his career (not that Williams couldn't do it- he could do anything with a baseball bat- I think he was more stubborn and selective, though).

-At 54 seconds there's a clip of Babe taking what looks like 4 steps before hitting the ball. Does anyone know if this was a regular practice for him, and other players of the era (or anyone since)?

-At 1:18 he slides headfirst. This was clearly a pinch, but was I don't think I've seen film of anyone else from that far back sliding headfirst. I've seen him make his toe hook slide many times, though.

-Does Randy's avatar make its appearance at 1:39?

-The catchers are still standing, and not in a full crouch. When did this practice die out?

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
        Don't know if this has been posted, but some great film here (most of it I'd seen, a few clips I hadn't).

Ruth set to Gershwin

Some observations:

-We can see Ruth extending his arms as much as he could and expanding the zone. Nothing like Ted Williams (don't think I've ever seen film of him extending like that on the outside). Ted would have probably have laid off those pitches. Hence Babe getting lots of LF hits during his career (not that Williams couldn't do it- he could do anything with a baseball bat- I think he was more stubborn and selective, though).

-At 54 seconds there's a clip of Babe taking what looks like 4 steps before hitting the ball. Does anyone know if this was a regular practice for him, and other players of the era (or anyone since)?

-At 1:18 he slides headfirst. This was clearly a pinch, but was I don't think I've seen film of anyone else from that far back sliding headfirst. I've seen him make his toe hook slide many times, though.

-Does Randy's avatar make its appearance at 1:39?

-The catchers are still standing, and not in a full crouch. When did this practice die out?
        Those steps he took, had to be rare, in all the old footage I have seen. Can't recall his name but there was one AL pitcher in the game when Ruth played who would throw what later became the Eephus pitch late thrown by Rip Sewell, this could have been one of those.

If I recall that whole scene including the music was from the Ken Burns special "Baseball."

That headfirst slide, looks like Walter Johnson standing over Ruth.

That swing at 2:07 obviously no doubt he hit it out but you can tell by the hesitation..............is it fair or foul, some body English at 2:17, it's a fair ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
          That headfirst slide, looks like Walter Johnson standing over Ruth.
          And Washington catcher, Gabby Street.

Comment

Those steps he took, had to be rare, in all the old footage I have seen.
            I've seen two other clips where Babe took steps before hitting the ball. I have no idea how common a practice it was, or if any other great hitter also did it....

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
              I've seen two other clips where Babe took steps before hitting the ball. I have no idea how common a practice it was, or if any other great hitter also did it....
              I agree with you Chris. I've seen 3-4 different clips of Babe stepping into the ball. I know I have seen clips of other old-timers doing the same although I can't recall the player(s) off the top of my head.

The only "modern" player that I can recall doing that was Bobby Molinaro with the Sox and Cubs about 25-30 years ago. He took a small step as the ball was being pitched.

As far as headfirst slides, I think it was fairly common practice back then. There are several clips of Lou Gehrig sliding headfirst.
              "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

• Exhibition game, double header against Tesreau's team, 3, 1920. This was accompanied by an article that appeared in a black newspaper, Chicago defender. Don't know who was wagering but the article said some bets were placed, that Ruth would hit at least 3 home runs, he did hit 3 home runs.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Exhibition game playing a black team, October 3, 1920. Looked for some results on this game, no luck.
                  I believe this game was against Jeff Tesreau's team. Jenkinson shows that Babe played a game versus the Atlantic City Bacharachs on October 4, 1920. But he doesn't show that he played against a black team on October 3.
                  "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

• Originally posted by Bench 5 View Post
                    I believe this game was against Jeff Tesreau's team. Jenkinson shows that Babe played a game versus the Atlantic City Bacharachs on October 4, 1920. But he doesn't show that he played against a black team on October 3.
                    Your correct on that one, got my dates confused. That game was not played against a black team, he did hit three home runs. The park Dyckman Oval was used by black teams. I will go back and change the wording in my previous post. Babe did play there against a Cuban team in September 1935.

Comment

Exhibition game, double header against Tesreau's team, 3, 1920. This was accompanied by an article that appeared in a black newspaper, Chicago defender. Don't know who was wagering but the article said some bets were placed, that Ruth would hit at least 3 home runs, he did hit 3 home runs.
                      Here it is.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Johnny Sylvester returns the visit The Babe payed him long ago.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• This was 1921. Two dimensions for RF one was 383 and the other was 400, center was 420. This was the reason Babe chose to play there, there was some betting, some saying he could not reach the 420 in center.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• An invitation I received to attend a memorial mass for Babe Ruth. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, but I will be watching for articles appearing later. Taking place, September 6, 2008, 5:00 PM at The Cathedral of St. Patrick.

I am sure most are aware that Linda Ruth Tosetti is The Babe's granddaughter.

At the same church his service took place in 1948, 60 years ago.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                              --------1930-1931, Yankee Stadium---------------------------------1932 World Series

This is my first post on a great forum, and I hate to be negative. However, the photo on the left is at Comisky in Chicago, not Yankee Stadium. Sorry.

Comment

• Thought I could contribute. Chicago train station picture, 1927 & Comisky Park, 1930.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X