No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Ruth Day at Fenway, September 20, 1919. Put him on stage and he performs. Just to hit a home run is not enough when it's Babe Ruth. A monster shot to the opposite field and breaking a window on the other side of Lansdowne Street and it comes in the last inning with the score tied 3-3, Bosox win 4-3.

Hit off of a tough LH pitcher Lefty Williams. After Williams sees the ball clear the wall, in disgust he throws his mitt into the outfield.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 09-01-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Sorry guys, I can't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned before.

It has been hinted at, I'm not sure where, that Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth's rift may be because Lou's wife Elenor slept with the Babe and Lou found out. I believe somebody asked Bill Dickey and he denied answering the inquiry.

Another topic.

Babe Ruth was given the chance to start his managing career in the minors. He refused. As for Ty Cobb, forget it. He was one of the biggest pricks of all time. Worse even than Barry Bonds. He didn't deserve anything.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!
      Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
        Sorry guys, I can't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned before.

It has been hinted at, I'm not sure where, that Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth's rift may be because Lou's wife Elenor slept with the Babe and Lou found out. I believe somebody asked Bill Dickey and he denied answering the inquiry.

Another topic.

Babe Ruth was given the chance to start his managing career in the minors. He refused. As for Ty Cobb, forget it. He was one of the biggest pricks of all time. Worse even than Barry Bonds. He didn't deserve anything.

All those autographs and visits to kids in hospitals make him a prick? Then we should all be pricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
          Sorry guys, I can't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned before.

Another topic.

Thats about it, it's been hinted, but does that mean it happened. You know how it is when a rumor starts, some one tells another and that person tells 10 others, then they tell others and before you know it the story gets legs and it spreads, true or not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
            Hello Babe Ruth experts. I just received this email and I don't know how to address it. Can anyone figure out what she is asking? I haven't a clue.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: <[email protected]>
            Subject: Babe Ruth
            Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:30:43 -0700
            -----------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I enjoyed reading your story on the Babe that I found on baseball-fever.com. It seems you are very knowledgable and I was wondering if you know where I can see pictures of the tavern they had....mostly the outside...or any pitures of the babe as a child other than the one at 2 1/2 (I have that one). I have an original photograph that I found in an estate lot of New York Yankee and Baseball memorabelia...and it sure looks like Babe Ruth......and seems to be at about 3 - 4 years old. It was taken outside..and the background may be of the tavern or a fence near it...I am trying to find out as much as I can on where I can compare the items in the picture and the boy in the picture.....also in the same lot is an old caricature drawing (unsigned)...of a older boy with a bat that I also believe to be "The Babe"....any direction would be most appreciated...

Cheryl
            Sorry, I know this is old, but isn't part of question concerning photos of the tavern/saloon that Ruth's father ran? I think there were actually two...there is the famous photo of Babe tending bar with his Dad, and there may be an external shot of a saloon in "Babe:A Life in Pictures".

SJ3, can I give you $10,000 and get a fake ID and attend that mass in your place?
            :cap:
            Seriously, how great to be invited to such an event, and I'm sure you really wish you could make it. I hope the cathedral is packed.
            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
              Sorry, I know this is old, but isn't part of question concerning photos of the tavern/saloon that Ruth's father ran? I think there were actually two...there is the famous photo of Babe tending bar with his Dad, and there may be an external shot of a saloon in "Babe:A Life in Pictures".

SJ3, can I give you $10,000 and get a fake ID and attend that mass in your place?
              Seriously, how great to be invited to such an event, and I'm sure you really wish you could make it. I hope the cathedral is packed.
              This was a request by Cheryl who had in her possession a picture of a young boy 4 or 5 years old and a cartoon type drawing of a young boy. She sent them to me asking if I might know them as a picture and a drawing of the young Babe. I had no way of knowing, don't see how anyone could be certain. In fact Babe's granddaughter later sent me the same picture asking my opinion, no way to tell. If I find them I will post them.

I was in touch with Cheryl and he husband Art, sent them some other pictures, never heard from them again.

Comment

If you can convince Linda Tosseti, his granddaughter that your a big Babe fan, she may let you slide.

Comment

• I would think he earned his pay in 1918, among the leaders in both pitching and hitting in August of 1918.

Finished 13-7 started 19 games completed 18.
                  Batted .300 and tied for the lead in home runs with 11.
                  played 31 games at first base and 59 in the outfield.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Babe two hits Chisox. Chicago was second to only the 1915 Tigers in all around hitting AL in 1915.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• This was the best all around hitting team in the AL, the 1916 Tigers. Correction, that game was played July 31,1916.
                      At the plate Babe had two singles to left, 2 for 4.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Close but yet so far away. Hard hit ball deflected by Ruth with one out in the 8th.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Exhibition 1923.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That post by Cheryl was in regard to these two, one picture and one drawing. She asked if I might recognize the picture as the young Babe, I have no way of knowing. She also asked if the drawing might be of the Babe, again how could anyone other than the artist know that, probably no longer with us.

As for any pictures of his dad's saloon, never saw one, doubt if there are any.

Here is what Cheryl sent to me.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• It was often said by teammates and even opponents Babe could take it and really dish it out. It was also said that he would soon forget about the bantering, lets be friends again.

Here is an event that took place with the Cubs batting in the 9th inning of the "called shot" game that illustrates Babes way, forgive and forget. Babe is in the outfield and one of the Cubs talks to him. Remember there was much animosity in this same game earlier. Cub pitcher Guy Bush on the Cub bench calling Ruth, washed up, pot belly, fat slob and who knows what else.

The Cub in the bull pen is the same Guy Bush who was Babe's chief tormentor earlier in that game. Ruth is talking to Bush as though nothing had taken place earlier. Bush later commented that he was surprised that Babe was not angry with him, if he didn't get mad today he never will. Being Babe not too good with names he calls Guy by the wrong name, Joe.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• 60th Memorial Mass

"A Ruler Without a Successor ... The Genuine Article"

http://www.courant.com/services/news...,7030959.story
                                Last edited by New York Kid; 09-09-2008, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X