Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
    Looks like a good possiblity.
    Thought I was on the track with my 1928 World Series but overlooked one thing.
    Went back and took a good look at the batter after Babe and agree, it does not look like Lou who did follow Babe in the 1928 WS, looks more like Bob Muesel.
    Now I see some are putting more attention on some regular season games, where Bob follow Babe.

Back to the board.

Comment

• I had a brief conversation with a 92 year old gentleman the other day who started going to Yankee games in 1928. While he didn't have a specific memory of the Babe that stood out in his mind, he said something to the effect that Ruth could really hit a ball a long way. He also said something similar about Gehrig.

It's just interesting to talk to an old timer who actually saw Babe Ruth play in person at the old, old Yankee Stadium. There are fewer and fewer left with each passing year.

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3, I will post a few dozen Yankee Stadium pics from the World Series during Ruth's days later today. Also some Opening Day pics as well.
        sigpic

Comment

SHOELESSJOE3, I will post a few dozen Yankee Stadium pics from the World Series during Ruth's days later today. Also some Opening Day pics as well.
          Sounds good. As I said earlier I have ton of Yankee Stadium pictures. Looking for some from the years 1926-27-28, World Series, that show the rails along the foul lines. Thats part of the section that would be decorated with bunting.
          I do have one thats supposed to be from the 1927 WS and I see no bunting on the rails. It's possible that the pic is not really from 1927.

Comment

• OK here come the pics. Keep in mind that some are not dated, and even Corbis and Getty Images captions can be wrong.

First, pictures from the Stadium's first Opening Day, April 18, 1923 (to eliminate other pics showing the same bunting as being WS pics):

19 Apr 1923, New York, New York, USA --- 4/19/1923-New York, NY: Original Caption. A view of the decked grandstand showing a portion of the 70,000 that witnessed the game. (Date is next day)

Probably 1923 (Opening Day or WS? - band on the field suggests OD)

"1923 WS in October":

Stengel's HR, Yankee Stadium 1923:

Coming up: 1926-1927
            SultanOfWhat
            Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• 1926 WS apparently did not feature bunting:

02 Oct 1926, Bronx, New York, New York, USA --- Here are the crowds at Yankee Stadium for the 1926 World Series between the New York Yankees and the St. Louis Cardinals.

03 Oct 1926 --- In the first game of the 1926 World Series, Rogers Hornsby is going to first after making a hit, Bill Southworth is going to 2nd and Taylor Douthit is on his way to third

06 Oct 1926, Bronx, New York, New York, USA --- Bronx: General view of the crowds in the Yankee Stadium during the second game of the World Series.

The bunting pattern of alternating American flags and bunting seems to be from both 1927 and 1928. As the LF grandstand was extended in March-July 1928, it's usually possible to see which of the two years is depicted in a photo.

: "Yankee Stadium 1927-World Series"

Probably 1927:

Probably 1927:

07 Oct 1927 --- 10/7/1927-Original caption reads as follows: Photo shows Earl Combs and Koenig of the Yankees scoring on Lou Gehrig's triple, and Lou Gehrig rounding third. He was caught trying to stretch the triple. This action is in the third game of the World Series.

1928 next up
              SultanOfWhat
              Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• First some pics from 1928 that might be from that huge series in September against the Athletics:

"82,000 Fans in 1928":

No bunting, but massive crowd, caption says 1928:

"Not only are the bleachers filled with fans to watch the New York Yankees take on the Philadelphia Athletics at Yankee Stadium, but so are the rooftops around the stadium.":

One of my favorite pics of OYS: "Stadium decked out for game one of the 1928 world series."

05 Oct 1928, New York, USA --- New York: Yankees Beat Cards In Second Game Nine-Three. Photo shows Babe Ruth scoring while Gehrig reaches third on Meusel's two bagger in the 2nd game of the World Series which was won by the Yankees 9-3:

04 Oct 1928, Bronx, New York, New York, USA --- Bronx, New York: Babe Ruth hitting a double in the first inning of the first game of the World Series today. Ruth scored later when Gehrig doubled.:
                sigpic

Comment

• Might as well keep going with the 1932 World Series, the last for the Babe in his House:

28 Sep 1932, Bronx, New York, New York, USA --- Bronx, New York: General view of the Yankee Stadium before start of first World Series game.

The bunting seems to have been torn up in this photo (heavy winds?). Bunting is present in the same places as in long shots above (upper deck facing, playing field wall in foul territory).

"1932 World Series"

Maybe 1932 (see configuration of bunting) EDITED TO ADD (As pointed out to me below, the presence of the light towers makes this 1946 or later; caption later found stating 1947 WS):
                  SultanOfWhat
                  Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Nice work SULTAN, thanx for all those pics. I do have some but some I do not and will add to my collection.

Comment

• Here's something I've never seen before: a "462 FT" marker in CF from that newly discovered Ruth video. On the left is the familiar "490 FT".

From the video "Unearthed Babe Ruth video" at this link:
                      http://video.nytimes.com/video/playl...#1247465063639

Looks like that "462" was close to the the dead CF measurement (see the second pic below, as well as the end of the clip linked below for orientation). But to protect the batter's eye, maybe the "462" was just to the right of dead CF:

I'll edit this post with more screencaps later.

Interesting that in this pic (supposedly from 1929) there is no "462":

SultanOfWhat
                      Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 10-12-2009, 08:47 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• 1928 photo from series suspected to be same as in Ruth video:

09 Sep 1928, New York, USA --- New York: Watch Yankees And Athletics Play Crucial Series. Photo shows a section of the tremendous throng of baseball fans as they appeared in right field bleachers at the Yankee Stadium waiting for the opening of the double header between the Yankees and the Philadelphia Athletics today. (Yanks won 5-0 and 7-3. Attendance is listed as 85,265 by retrosheet):

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1928/09091928.htm

Ruth hit famous 450-footer (Jenkinson estimate) "To 40th bleacher row in right field to win" on September 11th off of Lefty Grove. The pic above and the Daily News shot higher on this page are from that same series.
                        SultanOfWhat
                        Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Here's something I've never seen before: a "462 FT" marker in CF from that newly discovered Ruth video. On the left is the familiar "490 FT".

From the video "Unearthed Babe Ruth video" at this link:
                          http://video.nytimes.com/video/playl...#1247465063639

Looks like that "462" was close to the the dead CF measurement (see the second pic below, as well as the end of the clip linked below for orientation). But to protect the batter's eye, maybe the "462" was just to the right of dead CF:

I'll edit this post with more screencaps later.

Interesting that in this pic (supposedly from 1929) there is no "462":

I dont recall ever seeing that 462 foot marker at the park. I've never even seen it listed as a dimension in and books or interent sites.
                          It may have appeared in some publications but not as often as the other park dimensions we see all the time.

The dimension that I see most often in publications, the one that is written up to the right of center field is that 429 often refereed to as deep right center field.

Not to nitpick, if I recall, most publications list CF as 487 and just to the left of CF as 490 and sometimes 493
                          SHOELESSJOE3
                          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 10-12-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

1928 photo from series suspected to be same as in Ruth video:

Ruth hit famous 450-footer (Jenkinson estimate) "To 40th bleacher row in right field to win" on September 11th off of Lefty Grove. The pic above and the Daily News shot higher on this page are from that same series.
                            In that at bat, before he homered, Babe laid down a bunt that went foul, then hit one out.

Comment

• Protecting that investment.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Some Babe Bits.

Invites "Ike" to movie premier.
                                "How To Play Baseball" Babe book in Japan
                                ..........and some other odds and ends.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse