No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shift on Ruth and some other stuff.
    Attached Files

Comment

• NY Jets QB, Mark Sanchez, impersonation of Babe Ruth.
      Eating a hot dog.................during the game.

Only one Mark.............thats all.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Some might find this surprising, he did it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nice find, SHOELESSJOE3. With the thousands of pictures of Ruth that have survived, we have so little footage of him actually playing, and apparently none of him actually making plays or throws while fielding. Stories like the one you posted give us a glimpse of Ruth beyond the batter's box.

Here is a pic I found on the NY Daily News website. The caption says it's of Ruth hitting a grand slam on July 24, 1934 against the Chicago White Sox. Jenkinson says "deep into right field bleachers" and 390 feet:

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
            Probably 1923 (Opening Day or WS? - band on the field suggests OD)
            This is from Opening Day, 1923.

Richard

Comment

Maybe 1932 (see configuration of bunting):
              The bunting may be the same as 1932, but the shadows tell a different story.

Notice the shadows of the new lighting fixtures, installed in (I believe) 1946. Perhaps this is from some time around then?

Richard

EDIT: Also, with the lack of a warning track, this would be sometime before that was added back in. I am still trying to find an exact year for that one, but it may have been sometime in the late 50's.

Comment

• Richard, good catch on the lighting structure shadows. After you pointed that out, I was going to say that the pic in question "felt" like the late 40's rather than the late 50's (due to the look of the photo and the high number of men wearing hats). Then I looked through my WS 1936-1964 pics and found that exact pic titled as "1947 World Series". It's not a Corbis or Getty caption, just the jpeg-saved name of the pic, but I think it's accurate.

Here's a link to a flickr account with that pic, with the 1947 description:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2309313604

Could very well be the same day (1947 WS, light tower shadows):

http://images.google.com/hosted/life...224b493c901588

Check out the pre-renovation thread for a great color pic of the 1947 WS from LIFE:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...postcount=3454
                Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Babe, down on the farm.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• 1916 World Series. Only run Ruth gave up in that 14 inning game, first inning when both Bosox outfielders fell down, inside the park homer for Dodger Myers. Bosox score one in the third and one in the 14th, win game 2-1
                    Of course if not a homer, he may not have pitched 14 innings, whole different game.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      1916 World Series. Only run Ruth gave up in that 14 inning game, first inning when both Bosox outfielders fell down, inside the park homer for Dodger Myers. Bosox score one in the third and one in the 14th, win game 2-1
                      Of course if not a homer, he may not have pitched 14 innings, whole different game.
                      31 innings, 3 earned runs, with some luck could have been only 2 earned runs, but then again maybe not 31 innings. Still high on the list, lowest ERA's in World Series.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• 1926 WS. First at bat.
                        First inning manager Hornsby to the mound, tells Card pitcher Flint Rhem, nothing fast, pitch him slow. Ruth hits first home run over pavillion in deep right center.

Fourth inning, again Hornsby to Rhem, pitch him slow stuff, he was lucky the first time. Ruth homers over pavillion in RF and across grand Avenue.

Third homer off of Herman Bell, dead centerfield bleachers

Earlier in the game Card fans in the grandstand toss bottle Babe's way when he takes his position.
                        Now they cheer him.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Richard, good catch on the lighting structure shadows. After you pointed that out, I was going to say that the pic in question "felt" like the late 40's rather than the late 50's (due to the look of the photo and the high number of men wearing hats). Then I looked through my WS 1936-1964 pics and found that exact pic titled as "1947 World Series". It's not a Corbis or Getty caption, just the jpeg-saved name of the pic, but I think it's accurate.

Here's a link to a flickr account with that pic, with the 1947 description:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2309313604

Could very well be the same day (1947 WS, light tower shadows):

http://images.google.com/hosted/life...224b493c901588

Check out the pre-renovation thread for a great color pic of the 1947 WS from LIFE:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...postcount=3454
                          Those LIFE photos are a real treat. Someone posted the link on how to search for them through Google and there are a good number of color shots from Ruth's last appearance at the Stadium. Such a bold moment in baseball history and we're able to see it in such a different light than "Babe Bows Out".

Richard

Comment

• They meet again Feb, 1929, June 1929 Harry Frazee dies, Brights disease.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Cameras flashing, Babe gets married at 6:00 AM to keep it private. The word gets out, hundreds waiting outside the church.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Ruth, Card catcher Wilson collide, Wilson drops ball.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X