• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't resist the temptation to animate SultanOfWhat's images

Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Some words from some who played in his time or saw him play.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Three homer game 1926 WS.
        Attached Files

Comment

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY Babe.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Babe on his time with Bosox.
            Attached Files

Comment

• In 1918 it was becoming obvious, this part time pitcher/outfielder was wielding a heavy bat, like none ever seen in the game. The Boston press was calling him "Tarzan" and "The Boston Terror.'
              Attached Files

Comment

• Article covering Babe's monster home run, exhibition game at Tampa Field in 1919.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for those excellent contributions, SHOELESSJOE3. It's always interesting to see contemporary accounts of The Babe's career.

BTW, Amazon has Bill Jenkinson's new book, Baseball's Ultimate Power: Ranking the All-Time Greatest Distance Home Run Hitters now listed as "In Stock", even though it was listed as coming out on March 2, 2010. There should be plenty about Ruth in the new book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
                    Thanks for those excellent contributions, SHOELESSJOE3. It's always interesting to see contemporary accounts of The Babe's career.

BTW, Amazon has Bill Jenkinson's new book, Baseball's Ultimate Power: Ranking the All-Time Greatest Distance Home Run Hitters now listed as "In Stock", even though it was listed as coming out on March 2, 2010. There should be plenty about Ruth in the new book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
                    I ordered my book from Amazon Monday and received it on Wednesday, Amazon is fast. Great book, lots on Ruth but thats not all. Has loads of info on tape measure home runs by a good number of other hitters, past and right up to the present.
                    Another winner from Bill Jenkinson.

Comment

• Babe gives his take on black players. This article appeared in only one newspaper that I am aware of. Black newspaper the Pittsburgh Courier, none of the bigger white newspaper organizations.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Some on number 712 that Babe hit at Forbes, his three homer game 1935.
                        Jim Englert, predictions, ball may go for 100,000 to 200,000 at auction.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                          Article covering Babe's monster home run, exhibition game at Tampa Field in 1914.
                          More shocking, he was a pitcher and a teenager at that time.
                          Wasn't this hit in Fayetteville, NC?

Comment

• Originally posted by stuarthouse View Post
                            Wasn't this hit in Fayetteville, NC?
                            Good eye Stuart. The picture was from Babe's home run at Tampa in 1919 but I dated it 1914, wrong year and he was not a teenager.
                            Your correct about that Fayettville home run 400+ feet, not as long as the Tampa drive 500+ feet but Fayettville caused a real stir because he was so young and his power was not yet displayed, only played a small number of exhibition games at that time.That was in fact his first home run as a MLB player although in preseason.

Thanks again, going back to my post to change that 1914 to 1919.

Comment

• A Babe Ruth fan just sent me this email. I thought I should pass it on to everyone else.
                              ----------------------------------------------------
                              Subject: Babe Ruth Historic Home/School Grounds---in Danger Allow Subject
                              Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 01:22:22 -0400
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Dear Mr. Burgess,

First of all, we are not asking for money, we are looking for a voice.
                              I'm trying to get the word out before it's too late.

Please take a minute to read this story. You may help to save irreplaceable baseball history using your baseball connections and your love of baseball history.

There is a problem with Babe Ruth's historic childhood home in Baltimore. This site is very important to baseball. There is no better tradition in sports, or in baseball, than the Yankees and Babe Ruth. The April 18, 2010 NY Times published an article that gives a lot of the story. It was written by Richard Sandomir.

You can access the article at: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/sp...tml?ref=sports

Here is the rest of the story: Babe Ruth's historic home/school and grounds in Baltimore are in danger. The Archdiocese of Baltimore has suddenly decided to close Cardinal Gibbons School at the end of this school year. Cardinal Gibbons is situated on the grounds of Old St. Mary's Industrial School, which is where the Babe spent twelve childhood years (between 7 and 19yo). It is located on some prime real estate right off of the I-95 corridor. The Archdiocese of Baltimore owns the property. We fear the real reason for closing the Cardinal Gibbons School is just to sell the grounds to raise funds. They stated in an earlier meeting with us that they had "cash flow problems." We had investors that offered to buy the school and make it independent of the archdiocese. After a lengthy meeting, the archbishop said it is not for sale (to us), and that Gibbons is closed. The Archdiocese plans to start accepting bids on the property in September. While we have no idea who will bid, it could very well be a developer. We did hear a very credible rumor that Kaiser Permanente was interested in the property because it is across the street from St. Agnes Hospital. If they win the bid, they will level the place and put up a big, ugly medical building. Gone will be Babe's historic field and what's left of his school.

Cardinal Gibbons School is a boys’ high school that has been in existence for 48 years, and sits on the very grounds where Babe Ruth grew up and learned to play baseball from his dear mentor and friend, Brother Matthias. Classes are taught in one of the remaining buildings of St. Mary’s Industrial School, which was home to Babe Ruth for most of his childhood. We are concerned that if the land is sold, the fields where Babe Ruth first swung a bat may be lost forever. Those same fields where Babe Ruth learned to play baseball are still there and are in great shape. Even today, there are still many exciting baseball games being played on the fields.

Contrary to what the archdiocesan spokesman says in the above article, buildings remain from the time of St. Mary's. Two are still being utilized, one for classes, the other as a multi-purpose building. This building recently had its top-floor refurbished, and was named "The Babe Ruth Room." It overlooks “Babe Ruth Field” and is used as a safe place for students after school. There is some deferred maintenance in these buildings, but nothing that would make the buildings unsafe. The buildings are over 100 years old and building codes have changed over the years. Some codes have been grandfathered. Once ownership changes hands, all the building codes will necessarily be reset. To bring the buildings up to current codes would cost a fortune. I'm not sure anyone would pay for that, and they will probably raze the structures, and in turn ruin Babe Ruth's fields and what is left of old St. Mary's, effectively losing Babe's history.

Old St. Mary's Industrial School closed in the 1950's; Cardinal Gibbons School opened in 1962. It has been preserving the remaining pieces of Babe Ruth's history ever since. As long as Cardinal Gibbons stays open, the remnants of St. Mary's will be preserved. I'm truly scared that if someone else buys the land Gibbons sits upon, we will lose Babe's history forever. I'm hoping we can get enough people to care before it's too late. Once this piece of baseball history is gone, it's gone forever. There are really only two places on earth that can lay claim to Babe Ruth's childhood heritage, and the Cardinal Gibbons site is one of them.
                              If there was ever a school worth saving, it is Cardinal Gibbons because it is no ordinary high school. It has an enrollment if almost 300 students. Gibbons a unique place where goodness and justice are lived out every single day. Nearly 100% of its graduates go on to college (last year it was 100%), and these students earn more money per student in scholarships every year than any other area high school. Cardinal Gibbons is also in a unique position in the community. It gives many underprivileged kids a chance to excel, find scholarships and get into college. If the mission of this school dies, I really don't think this kind of an institution will ever be repeatable. This place has the kind of diversity that we all strive for in society. Its demographics consist of about 58% white to 42% minorities. It is juxtaposed between city and county, and crosses the socioeconomic spectrum. Gibbons also embraces those with learning differences. One in ten students here has some degree of learning disability. All are accepted by the students here, despite any differences that may exist. It is an amazing place where, once you walk in the door, you know you are part of a family. Everyone is respected for who they are. This school is doing what we are all asked us to do, taking care of the least of our brothers. Something this good is hard to let go. Our hearts are broken, and in our brokenness, we turn to you for help..

Anyone who loves baseball has to love that the greatest baseball player of all time, the Babe, who was raised on these endangered grounds. The spokesman for the Archdiocese stated clearly in the NY Times article that this site was not important to them. He said the museum at Camden Yards pays enough tribute to Babe Ruth. Now I ask you, how can you ever pay enough tribute to the greatest baseball player that ever lived? Losing this historic site would be tragic. Please help us save Babe's history.

What you can do? Please help us spread the word. I fear we are running out of time very quickly.

Until the archbishop listens to us, we know that national, and media, attention is crucial. The pressure we exert on the Archdiocese will cause them to listen to our plan to become independent. We have the financial backing, we just need Archbishop O'Brien to release Cardinal Gibbons from his grip. Gibbons will no longer be the financial responsibility of the Archdiocese. All we ask is to be allowed to buy the land and become independent. This way we will preserve the history of Babe Ruth and continue the excellence in education of Cardinal Gibbons School.

Any suggestions or guidance you can give us would be greatly appreciated. If people don't know about this, or remain uninformed, they will be shocked when bulldozers start leveling the place one day soon. A huge piece of baseball tradition may be lost. They will ask, "Why didn't somebody do something."

Please stand behind us in this crusade to save Babe's legacy.

Thank you for your consideration in this sad matter,
                              Suzie Grace
                              [email protected]
                              410-744-3851

Comment

• Sad news Bill, I read about the plan to demolish the grounds some time ago. You know what fan I am of The Babe. I don't like to see any chipping away of anything that he was connected to.
                                I really don't see how anyone can stop the plans to take away that site.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X