X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Ruth historian's website. 'Bill Jenkinson Baseball' - Babe and more

http://www.billjenkinsonbaseball.webs.com/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by elmer; 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by elmer View Post
      Babe Ruth historian's website. 'Bill Jenkinson Baseball' - Babe and more

http://www.billjenkinsonbaseball.webs.com/
      Just checked out and saved that site. Met Bill at Babe's 114th Birthday Bash at Mickey Mantle's restaraunt in New York.
      Sat down with Bill and talked baseball..............just a regular nice guy, knows the game and Babe in particular.

Comment

• Big bucks paid for this.
        Attached Files

Comment

• We went to the Ruth museum on Tuesday before the Orioles-Sox game. I really liked the film they put together and the wall with a plaque for each of Babe's 714 home runs. Each plaque featured the pitcher's name and place of birth, and each was sponsored by someone. Scary to think that the house where Babe was born was almost demolished before the restoration project in 1974. Also interesting to see how much time changes things; it wasn't a ghetto at all- very close to the med school and on a charming little street off the main drag near the Inner Harbor. Ironically there were areas UP the hill that were much, much worse.

It was interesting to see the artifacts, such as Ruth's ashtray and wooden radio case, too. Something else interesting- I read a game wrapup from a 1914 International League contest between Buffalo and Baltimore. The article focused on the length of one of Babe's blasts, and followed by stating that Ruth "Can hit well from both sides of the plate".

I looked at the plaque for home run #600 and it said "This spot reserved by Frank Robison when he visited here for when he hits #600"
          Last edited by csh19792001; 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• His daughter said this.

"Bonds is [email protected]# and everyone knows it, Aaron is just elusive, and without personality. Americans spoiled by Ruth, thirst for a large then life, bosterous, loveable hero. In truth it has nothing to do with race, they just want their homerun champ to be alive, and human"

I'm usually not a big defender of Bonds, but in my opinion if Ruth would have played in modern times he would have been chastised by the press. He would have similar trusting issues as Bonds and Aaron had with people and the media. They would have railed him for his off the field transgressions, and the lovable Ruth that we all know would have turned sour towards outsiders as these two would did.

The media was just different back then. They could develop heroes. Nowadays, the media's main job is to "tell it like it is" instead of creating an icon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skinner11 View Post
              His daughter said this.

"Bonds is [email protected]# and everyone knows it, Aaron is just elusive, and without personality. Americans spoiled by Ruth, thirst for a large then life, bosterous, loveable hero. In truth it has nothing to do with race, they just want their homerun champ to be alive, and human"

I'm usually not a big defender of Bonds, but in my opinion if Ruth would have played in modern times he would have been chastised by the press. He would have similar trusting issues as Bonds and Aaron had with people and the media. They would have railed him for his off the field transgressions, and the lovable Ruth that we all know would have turned sour towards outsiders as these two would did.

The media was just different back then. They could develop heroes. Nowadays, the media's main job is to "tell it like it is" instead of creating an icon.
              Who's daughter are you speaking of.
              The press may be different today but Ruth needed no one to create an icon, his on the field accomplishments made him what he is. True in general, overall the press is privy to and more likely to put in print all details.
              I don't recall Aaron having problems with the press, not like Bonds who's own mouth over the years often turned some in the public against him.

Comment

• According to what I've read in "The Last Hero"; Aaron's problem with the press was 1: he was black and he wasn't outgoing.
                This resulted with the press regularly refering to Aaron as 'lazy' early in his career and some writers apparently took pleasure in distorting his southern accent to the point he appeared in print as a real-life 'Steppin' Fetchin'.
                Needless to say, this did not make Aaron inclined to tell the press much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
                  According to what I've read in "The Last Hero"; Aaron's problem with the press was 1: he was black and he wasn't outgoing.
                  This resulted with the press regularly refering to Aaron as 'lazy' early in his career and some writers apparently took pleasure in distorting his southern accent to the point he appeared in print as a real-life 'Steppin' Fetchin'.
                  Needless to say, this did not make Aaron inclined to tell the press much.
                  Thats a world of difference, how Aaron was viewed and how Bonds was. Add to that later in his career it was realized that Hank was not lazy, just his style of play, more appreciated. Also when Hank and Willie came in to the game it was tougher as a black player.
                  Now I'll get back to the game, the thread theme.

Comment

• Babe in relief minors.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I agree with the diff between Aaron and Bonds. Indeed, 'The Last Hero' has some interesting takes on what Bonds was like, as his got closer to Aaron's record.
                      Now I"LL get back on subject....

It would have been interesting to see how the Babe would have handled modern media.

Comment

• With Providence.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thats what he said.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• George Herman Ruth Sr.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Telegram from Shaw.
                              Attached Files