No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long ago, before Dennis The Menace...............
    Attached Files

Comment

• This one died fast...........leave it to some lawyer..........
      Attached Files

Comment

• Former NL MVP Cavarretta dies at 94

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Cavarretta the last person alive to have played with or against Babe Ruth?

Comment

• Playing the Game, by Babe Ruth, edited by William R. Cobb, 2011.

A new Babe Ruth autobiography that Ron Cobb edited is out in print today from Dover Publications, and is ready to be shipped form Amazon. You can take a look at: http://tinyurl.com/4tcfb72

With a cover price of only $8.95, this volume collects a series of articles written by Babe in 1920 and published in the Atlanta Constitution. It also includes several other news articles ascribed to the Babe which give his description of each of the last several home runs of the 54 that he hit in 1920. It also includes his analysis of the last few Yankees games of the season, and an analysis of each of the games of the World's Series that year between Cleveland and Brooklyn.

I thought some of you might be interested in reading this.

Ron Cobb
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Sorry I've allowed my contributions to the Babe Ruth threads to languish, but most of my 'hobby time' has been given to the 1923 3D model over the past year. I have a few hundred Ruth-related items I've found, and I'll eventually get to posting the best ones, but before I do, I want to go over the Ruth threads to avoid duplications.

But here is something I want to share now. The website where I found that article below offers the content of many Baseball magazines, and this article from 1920 (I think it was from the November issue) mentions how hard Ruth hit the ball, and the problems it caused for fielders. Here it is (actual image is larger than it appears here; right click and 'view image' and then left-click to magnify in Firefox, or save to hard drive to view full-sized):

Ruth ad:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 07-15-2011, 10:41 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• From the mound.
              Averaged over the seasons 1915-16-17 The Tigers and the White Sox in the AL were ranked one and two in....... Hits--Ba.--Slg.--OBA--RC/G--RBI--Runs...Reached base--Total bases--Home runs second and third. The one hitter against the Tigers was lost in the 8th inning, infield single
              Attached Files

Comment

• First and only home run in minor league play.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Good stuff, SHOELESSJOE. I hope to contribute more in the coming months. Here's one date-stamped September 17, 1932:

sigpic

Comment

• Charge some one with an error on this one.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Babe at bat hit by pitch. This is the game after the called shot game 1932 WS, first inning. On the mound for the Cubs, Guy Bush. Bush was Babe's chief tormentor from the Cub bench in that called shot game. So far out of the dugout and hurling insults at Babe that the ump had to order him to get back to the bench.

Obviously, no accident that Bush hits Babe in the very next game. This loads the bases, Combs and Sewell had singled.
                      Although hit hard on the forearm Babe makes flicking motions, as though to brush away a pesky insect, frame 4.
                      Frame 5, he has some words for Bush. According to Gehrig, words to this effect...."Hey lop ears, was that your fast ball."
                      Now it's Ruth tormenting Bush, from first base.
                      Long fly by Gehrig scored run advances runners and then Bush walks Lazzeri.
                      Bush faces only 5 Yankees and is knocked out of the box, replaced by Lon Warneke.
                      After the game Ruth is seen with a badly bruised and swollen arm.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• A letter from Tom Zachary. He gives some description, the count, the score 2-2 and the 8th inning, Ruth hits number 60.

Closing out he writes.... "I made a bad mistake, I should have thrown a fast one at his big fat head, last game 4-2."
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Contrary to what some may think, Babe always gave it all he had in the outfield.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• They were really off on this one. "Small use seen for it"............Not only the Yankees performed there... some of boxing's greatest matches.... Billy Graham over 100,000 attending....Pope doing a mass..... the "Win one for the Gipper game... and more.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Added bonus for Bam if Bosox win pennant. Earlier in the year Frazee offered another bonus related to Babe's number of wins.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Root on Ruth 1932 WS.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X