Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Babe Ruth mobbed by kids scranton 1923.JPG Kids mob Babe, he falls and police rescue him, exhibition game, Scranton Pa. Also, last paragraph he makes a pitch for Sunday baseball.

Leave a comment:

• 3rdGenCub
    replied
    Hmm...maybe telling the media that you carry a lot of cash & jewelry on your person isn't a good idea. On the other hand, I doubt if most criminals would dare rob Ruth considering his cult-like status back then. There would be tremendous pressure on the police to track them down & for a judge to give them the severest penalties possible.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    According to the article, he would be arrested "at the ball park" in Detroit on Monday's game.

Babe arrested on arrival fishing.JPG

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Macker
    replied
    filedata/fetch?id=3557932&d=1577488802&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    On the subject of Babe playing first base. The Yanks played a good number of exhibition games on off days.
    One trick they used when they wanted to end the game. They would bring Ruth from the outfield to play first base.
    Now he is close the spectators. Just a matter of time before some kid would make his way to first for an autograph or hand shake, then another and another.
    Now there is crowd of kids at first base. No way to clear the field, game over.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Do any of you guys have a list of dates Ruth played first base?
    I do have some, 31 career and the most in one season, 13 in 1918.
    Some of that 13 in 1918, May 6, June 16, 17..........all these in July, 9-10-11-12-13-15-16-17th.

Appears the Bosox cut back on his pitching around June. In June a great number of games in LF, CF and first base, the rest of the season. Still taking to the mound in some games while playing those 3 positions.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Do any of you guys have a list of dates Ruth played first base?

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    This is COLOR film of Babe Ruth's final game in 1935.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Nothing wrong with the bat Luke, it's the Babe. Babe Ruth Header bat check top page_edited-1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Hope I got this right. The pic I now have in post 3002, he was not pitching. That is Babe making the catch from the ball dropped from the airplane.

My second look at that pic. Look at the glove, you can see the fingers.....................no web. Makes the catch even more impressive.
    Ohhh I see. Yea right pic.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied

You replaced the picture with another one. It is still visible when the guy quoted you in post #3002.
    Hope I got this right. The pic I now have in post 3002, he was not pitching. That is Babe making the catch from the ball dropped from the airplane.

My second look at that pic. Look at the glove, you can see the fingers.....................no web. Makes the catch even more impressive.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Not sure what pic your speaking of, on this page, this thread.
    You replaced the picture with another one. It is still visible when the guy quoted you in post #3002.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    One of my favorite quotes is when Roger Clemens said he'd drill Hank Aaron in the head after Aaron said Clemens shouldn't have been A.L. MVP because he's a pitcher. Zachary wanting to drill Ruth made me think of that.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    This letter written by Tom Zachary, to a friend. Describing Babe's 60th home run hit off of Tom in 1927. In 1928 he was traded to the Yanks.
    Closing lines by Tom......................Threw him a curve a mistake, I should have thrown a fast one at his big fat head................................Join the club Tommy

Tom Zachary.JPGTom Zachary.JPG text.JPG

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied

Joe, who was this Fairfax fellow, a cricket bowler? Larwood was considered the best bowler of his generation and one of the greatest of all-time. Estimates are the he threw between 90-100 MPH. I know nothing of cricket but the wikipedia article talks about this guy much the way Walter Johnson would be. Here is a link to Harold Larwood's wikipedia page.
    Fairfax was a cricketer, one of the best playing in a Pro League in London, 1930s.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X