No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this on the internet. I know of no at bats where Ruth actually took a cut at a pitch batting RH in an official at bat. In a number of at bats he came to bat RH when he knew he was going to be wallked, IBB. In the instances that I am aware of they still walked him and in a few others he took some pitches than went back to batting LH in that at bat.

This could be just a case of him clowning around, not an official game at bat, but I doubt even that.

What I believe, this picture has been flipped horizontally. I can't say for sure because of the poor contrast but it appears the catcher's mitt is on the right hand. Even that is hard to determine, I think I can see his fingers than I am not sure, could be the hand is shaded making the fingers hard to see.

Any way an interesting shot, Babe "appearing" to be swinging roht handed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-25-2007, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Babe with fan retrieved ball, home run number 700.

Comment

Don't know what happened on that one.

Comment

One more try, home run 700. File reduced in size.
          Attached Files

Comment

The Babe and the kids.
            Attached Files

Comment

Babe signing some autographs.
              Attached Files

Comment

A group of fans in the Detroit area who get together every year to celebrate the Bam's birthday, in a tavern of course.
                Attached Files

Comment

This one of interest to me since I have the same plate number.... only in the state of N.Y.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                    Found this on the internet. I know of no at bats where Ruth actually took a cut at a pitch batting RH in an official at bat. In a number of at bats he came to bat RH when he knew he was going to be wallked, IBB. In the instances that I am aware of they still walked him and in a few others he took some pitches than went back to batting LH in that at bat.

This could be just a case of him clowning around, not an official game at bat, but I doubt even that.

What I believe, this picture has been flipped horizontally. I can't say for sure because of the poor contrast but it appears the catcher's mitt is on the right hand. Even that is hard to determine, I think I can see his fingers than I am not sure, could be the hand is shaded making the fingers hard to see.

Any way an interesting shot, Babe "appearing" to be swinging roht handed.

Actually Section 20 was on the Third Base side a section or so beyond the home dugout. The stands look pretty empty perhaps it was duriong batting practice or something. Great find Joe!

Richard

Also on the first base side the outer facade of the Stadium extended beyond where the grandstand itself stopped. So we would be looking at a dark area with some catwalks visable not sunlight and the sky.
                    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLillard1
                      Actually Section 20 was on the Third Base side a section or so beyond the home dugout. The stands look pretty empty perhaps it was duriong batting practice or something. Great find Joe!

Richard
                      I was sleeping on that one. Concentrating on the glove and bare hand of the catcher to determine if the pic was flipped I never noticed that 20 which means he was batting right handed. The only photo I've ever seen of him batting right handed under any circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                        One more try, homerun 700.
                        $20.00?

I wonder what Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds paid to retrieve THEIR #700 HR ball!
                        Last edited by Appling; 02-25-2007, 06:53 PM.
                        Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Appling
                          $20.00?

I wonder what Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds paid to retrieve THEIR #700 HR ball!
                          Don't know if Aaron kicked in with anything, I don't think so but the Braves gave Robert Winborne or Winbone 700 silver dollars.

Steve Williams did not choose to give Barry the 700 home run ball, said he would sell it to the highest bidder.

The average weekly wage for those in the manufacturing industry in N.Y. in 1934 was about 23.00 a few dollars lower in some other big cities.

Comment

Wonder if he was taking batting practice, playing around. Not many people in the seats, looks like pre game. Unusual to have catcher suited up during batting practice although that may have been the practice back in those times.

Comment

Does anyone know when they started using cages? I have a picture of Ruth that is dated 1931 and it shows Ruth taking a break while sitting on part of the cage. I've also seen one dated in the late 20's (1929?) that shows him waiting behind the cage for his turn.

Richard

Comment

Tuesday, April 12, 1927 Yankee Stadium, The Bronx: Babe Ruth is all smiles as he grants a pre-game interview to Graham McNamee, pioneering sportscaster on Opening Day. The Yankees would defeat Connie Mack's Philadephia A's 8-3 en route to their magnificent 110-44 Worlds Championship season-highlighted of course by Ruth's 60 home runs. (Corbis)

Brownie31
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X