*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    About here I stopped searching because I realize this does not answer your question or prove anything. How Babe hit these guys for average.

Does anyone out there have any stat sheet or source for batter/pitcher match up with some numbers, Ruth of course being the batter.
    1. Until we have full PBP (fully accessible) data on retrosheet or BBref, we will never know exactly how well hitters did against pitchers...and vice versa...prior to 1950. People who throw out data as fact from their "black box" without anything near a complete listing of PA by PA claim to have basically 100% of the data from the old days, as we do for modern players.

2. I'm sure one of the bevy of Ruth biographers has every single PA of his MLB career documented. I just don't know which scribe/author it would be...or whether we could get that information.

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
      1. Until we have full PBP (fully accessible) data on retrosheet or BBref, we will never know exactly how well hitters did against pitchers...and vice versa...prior to 1950. People who throw out data as fact from their "black box" without anything near a complete listing of PA by PA claim to have basically 100% of the data from the old days, as we do for modern players.

2. I'm sure one of the bevy of Ruth biographers has every single PA of his MLB career documented. I just don't know which scribe/author it would be...or whether we could get that information.
      Looks to me like that would be a tough task, account for every PA against certain pitchers. I see so many box scores and game recaps that appear in the newspaper the very next day. The problem is when more than one pitcher was used, there is no way to tell how the batter did against each pitcher. There are some recaps where it may be noted what inning the hitter batted against each pitcher but that is not often the case. It may tell what inning the second pitcher entered the game but not always what inning the batter got a hit, struck or, what ever. At time there may be three pitchers used.

Comment

• This could be the big one, that remains to be seen. Babe's jersey circa 1920. Expected to top the 1.3 million paid for the bat he hit his first home run at Yankee Stadium in 1923. May challenge the 2.8 million paid for the Honus Wagner card T-206
        All that suggested by those at SCP Auction.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks to me like that would be a tough task, account for every PA against certain pitchers.
          Ask "Ubiquitous", who claims/claimed (surrepititiously, and without anything close to full disclosure" to account for every single PA of Ted Williams against LHP from 1939-1950.

For those curious, this summative info was strewn about by Ubiquitous on our "Ted Williams vs. Left-Handed Pitchers" thread.
          Last edited by csh19792001; 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• This is Japan and a Babe article makes the front page, before TV, before the computer, 1919.
            This really shoots down the Curtiss Candy line from the 1920s. The royalty rights dealing with the Baby Ruth Candy bar....In court, Curtiss lawyers said, Babe Ruth wasnt even that famous in 1921.

Ok, they knew of him in Japan, even a couple of years before the candy bar came out, but he was not that famous in the USA years later. They did win the battle. Babe comes back many years later, Nabisco buys out Curtiss then Nestle takes over Butterfinger and Baby Ruth bar, Curtiss then pays Babe's estate some bucks for using his image.

Blew up this front page article so it could be read.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-04-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• I wonder if Dave Kingman is ever going to be compensated by Nestle for the Curtiss`folks naming their Butterfinger bar after him?
              Last edited by Nimrod; 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Right from the start of the called shot game, first inning , first at bat. Babe in the on deck circle and the war of the words begins, the Cub bench and The Babe.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Casey on The Babe.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Interesting the rest of the league was playing the final day of the season; the Red Sox and Yanks finished on 9/29

DREW

Comment

Exhibition game, double header against Tesreau's team, 3, 1920. This was accompanied by an article that appeared in a black newspaper, Chicago defender. Don't know who was wagering but the article said some bets were placed, that Ruth would hit at least 3 home runs, he did hit 3 home runs.
                      Interesting the rest of the league was playing the final day of the season; the Yanks and Red Sox finished on 9/29

DREW

Comment

• Ruth and Root on the home run.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Some words on Babe.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Cicotte on Babe.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Notice how common it was for hitters to be knocked down and constantly thrown at back then.Of course the batters didn`t wear helmets and didn`t wear hockey gear,or whatever all those pads and cushions are.Batters would dig in at their own peril.Nowadays, it`s"dig right in boys,make yourself comfortable-that`s YOUR plate."

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                                Notice how common it was for hitters to be knocked down and constantly thrown at back then.Of course the batters didn`t wear helmets and didn`t wear hockey gear,or whatever all those pads and cushions are.Batters would dig in at their own peril.Nowadays, it`s"dig right in boys,make yourself comfortable-that`s YOUR plate."
                                I think "sometimes" the umps are too quick with the warnings to both teams. Once they warn both teams, that takes away the inside pitch in most pitcher's minds. Even should they accidently come in to close to the batter or hit him with no intent they could be ejected.
                                Mike Stanton was ejected one time for hitting a batter. Anyone remember Mike, that sweeping big 70MPH curve. Well that was the pitch that hit a batter and he was ejected. Also saw another pitcher, don't recall the name, tossed for hitting a batter..............with the bases loaded.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X