No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=SHOELESSJOE3;1998069]I have noticed, looking over some of Ty's letters, a fair number written in green.

Yes,the use of green ink was virtually a trademark of Cobb`s.Recently,Antiques Roadshow featured a collection of letters that Cobb had sent to the owner of said letters father,and they were all written in green ink.When Al Stump created his infamous Cobb forgeries he knew to use green ink as part of the scam.Both Cobb and Ruth had good penmanship,especially Cobb.I have never had trouble making out even one single written word of his.The above mentioned Harmon Killebrew had a reputation of having exceptional handwriting.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Nimrod;1998378]
      Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
      I have noticed, looking over some of Ty's letters, a fair number written in green.

Yes,the use of green ink was virtually a trademark of Cobb`s.Recently,Antiques Roadshow featured a collection of letters that Cobb had sent to the owner of said letters father,and they were all written in green ink.When Al Stump created his infamous Cobb forgeries he knew to use green ink as part of the scam.Both Cobb and Ruth had good penmanship,especially Cobb.I have never had trouble making out even one single written word of his.The above mentioned Harmon Killebrew had a reputation of having exceptional handwriting.
      I have noticed that, I've gone over dozens or letters written by ballplayers, some not bad, some could not really make out, Cobb never a problem.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Nimrod;1998378]
        Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
        I have noticed, looking over some of Ty's letters, a fair number written in green.

Well, Killer did once say that one of his hobbies was washing dishes, so I'll bet practicing his penmanship was right up there, too...
        ;^)
        (ps - I love Killer, but I'm not making up the dishes thing)
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dude Paskert;1998422]
          Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

Well, Killer did once say that one of his hobbies was washing dishes, so I'll bet practicing his penmanship was right up there, too...
          ;^)
          Ha,Ha.I remember reading that he would never state that he did NOT smoke or drink in an interview for fear that he would hurt the feelings of his friends who did smoke or drink!As to Killer`s foot speed(or lack thereof)I saw him in an exhibition game smack a 410 foot drive off the center field wall and he just made it to first for a SINGLE....Tony Oliva laced a 375 foot line drive to right for a HOMER.In all fairness,I seem to remember that Harmon was nursing a pulled hamstring.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dude Paskert;1998422]
            Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

;^)
            I've heard that too. Killer is one of my old-time favorites, DESPITE that comment.

And I still say that Killer was the slowest ever, except for that one guy mentioned in an earlier post that smashed a ball 900 feet, yet got thrown out at first base. Even then, it's a close one!

FYI: Killer never topped 25 doubles in a season. Also, he only had 1 season in which he smacked more than 2 triples! And remember, this guy smashed a bunch of balls off of the walls and into the gaps! He was blazing on the basepaths though. He managed to steal 19 bases in his long career and he only got thrown out 18 times.

Comment

• Gaham McNamee radio broadscast in text 1926 World Series.
              Attached Files

Comment

• This was Babe in the called shot game. Maybe not a called shot but he did point and he did hit it where he pointed.
                The Cub's were already all over him before his first at bat, in the on deck circle.
                According to Gehrig, he yelled to the Cub bench, "You guys are not going back To New York" and they didn't.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Once again, great article, Shoeless. Many years ago, I used to subscribe to Baseball Digest, which had articles like this.

Keep up the great work.

Comment

• New York Times.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                      Once again, great article, Shoeless. Many years ago, I used to subscribe to Baseball Digest, which had articles like this.

Keep up the great work.
                      Baseball Digest and a few other mags often carried stories about the game from way back, Street and Smith another, don't see much of that in today's mags.

Comment

• This was the legit race for 60.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• This Ruth guy has to go, he is nothing but trouble. A few weeks ago I found and posted an article that appeared in another newspaper. A politician made the claim that Babe Ruth was a part of the problem, a cause for a good number of no shows in some factories. Young men not showing up for work because they were at barnstorming games hoping to see Babe Ruth "bust one." This one tops that claim. Babe and an act off God, the combination that was responsible for injuries and death at a ball game.
                          I edited this long article but left in the main theme.
                          The bottom line, why Babe was partly responsible. Had it been any other at bat the crowd in the bleachers would not have stayed in the open area of the bleachers to watch the batter. But it was Babe Ruth and they waited till the last minute and when he grounded out there was a mad rush for cover. This was the case made for Babe playing a part in the injuries and death.
                          I should add, he had already homered in this game.
                          Attached Files
                          SHOELESSJOE3
                          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• At that time that was the highest weekly pay for any "individual" stage act including the biggest vaudeville performers.
                            He was a ballplayer, he had no act, stood on stage and did what he did best, just be Babe Ruth and inter act with the people.

Follow up, Babe arrested for violating Child Labor Act in state of California.
                            His crime, inviting some kids on stage and get into the act.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                              At that time that was the highest weekly pay for any "individual" stage act including the biggest vaudeville performers.
                              He was a ballplayer, he had no act, stood on stage and did what he did best, just be Babe Ruth and inter act with the people.

Follow up, Babe arrested for violating Child Labor Act in state of California.
                              His crime, inviting some kids on stage and get into the act.
                              I think Babe went too far when he told the kids "pull my finger" and something had to be done.
                              I know that Cap Anson had a vaudeville act in which his daughters would sing and he would hit fake balls into the crowd...didn't go over quite like Babe did.
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• 1925 Ruth vs. Grove: 2-5,2-4, 1-3, HR =====5-12, HR
                                1925 Gehrig vs Grove: 0-1,1-5,1-3,0-4=======2-13
                                1926 Ruth vs Grove 1-3,2-2,1-4,2-4,0-1====6-14
                                1926 Gehrig vs Grove 2-4,0-3,0-3,1-4,1-4,=====4-18
                                1927 Ruth vs Grove 0-3,2-5,1-3,2-4,2-5, HR 7-20, 1 HR
                                1927 Gehrig vs Grove 1-4,1-4,2-5,0-4,1-4, R 5-21, 1 H
                                1928 Ruth vs Grove 1-3,0-4,1-4,2-2,1-4,1-2,1-3 HR,====7-22, 1 HR
                                1928, Gehrig vs grove 2-5,1-4,1-5,1-5,0-3,2-3,1-4,====8-25,
                                1929 Ruth vs Grove 1-3,0-4,2-4, 2HR, 0-2,===3-13, 2 HR
                                1929 Gehrig vs Grove 1-3,1-4,2-5,2-3,=======6-15
                                1930 Ruth vs Grove 1-4,
                                1930 Gehrig vs Grove 2-4,
                                1931 Ruth vs Grove 0-5,2-4, HR, 0-3,3-5,======5-17, 1 HR
                                1931 Gehrig vs Grove 0-4,2-4,1-4, HR,2-5, ====5-17, 1 HR
                                1932 Ruth vs Grove 2-3, HR, 2-4,1-6,2-5=====7-18, 1 HR
                                1932 Ruth vs Grove 1-2,1-4,2-6,2-5,1-4======7-21
                                1933 Ruth vs Grove 2-5, 2HR,0-3,0-4, =====2-12, 2HR
                                1933 gehrig vs Grove 0-4,0-4,3-3, HR,=======3-11 1 HR
                                1934 Ruth vs Grove
                                1934 Gehrig vs Grove 3-5

Total RUth 43-132, 9HR, .326 avg, 36 games
                                Gehrig 42-145, 3HR .290 avg, 39 games

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X