*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Hmmm...a third one? There was the dog taking the glove incident and one other one earlier (I believe Babe in Red Stockings mentions it) but never heard about a '35 one. Do you have the rest of the story or just the headline?
    Here it is. From the N.Y.Times, I think, some where in the news archives.
    Attached Files

Comment

This one may have appeared on one of these threads, for those who may have missed it. Knocked cold running into the wall at Washington's Griffith.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think some may have the image of a big slow lumbering Ruth in the field. Yes in later years he did slow down but when younger a better than average fielder with a rifle arm.

Ruth was a fierce competitor, hated to lose in the field and on the bases. One look at daily box scores from the news archives shows many accounts of great running catches, tumbles and dives after balls and more than a few collisions with catchers blocking home plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
          Many reasons for that imo Joe.

His hitting overshadowed so many other things he did well and for many his power hitting even overshadows his great batting average ability.

With pitching, most everyone knows he was pretty damn good and a good number might know he was the best lefty in the league for a short span. Fewer might also know he was among the best regardless of hand for that same span. And a small amount of those might understand how good of a fielder he was from the mound.
          The only way anyone will ever know what an all around player he was, all out on the bases and in the field would be to read many of the game recaps written up the day after the game. As much as I knew of Ruth I was fairly shocked at how great he was all around until I got to Proquest and read hundreds of game recaps from the news archives.
          There was many a week when his bat alone was the biggest factor in Yankee wins, scoring and batting in the bulk of the Yankee runs in a game. Then so many great plays in the field, catching and throwing. Often playing injured.

Unfortunate most, even some real baseball buffs will never get to read those daily game recaps, how many have ever read hundreds of those in the news archives.

The people on this board do know the game and I believe many do know of his all around play. The general public who are not hard core fans will have that image of Ruth, watching those same old newsreels we keep seeing. Always the same old stuff, the older heavier Ruth in his home run trot, waving to the crowd, doffing his cap. They see a big heavy guy, hit a lot of home runs, to them thats babe Ruth..
          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-14-2007, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
            This is unfortunately true and accurate, Joe. We just can't overcome the effects of the media. The perception of any given player is the one the media decides to impose on the public. And because of that, Babe/Ty was always be the most stereo-typed baseball players who ever lived.

The joys of research and finding the real, historical people, the flesh and blood persons, are a reward to those with the fortitude to dig just under the surface.

If we do that, we find a Babe who swore to newsmen that he'd never speak to them again if they reported that he drove hours to and from a hospital to cheer up a sick kid. Or who injured himself slamming into an OF wall, knocking himself unconsciouses. Or who played through dozens of hurts, pulled muscles, countless aches and pains. Who injured himself ploughing into a catcher, catapulting himself 5 feet into the air, and got on the DL for 2 weeks. Who suckered runners into trying for another base, and then unleashing a deadly throw to cut them down.

Ah, the joys of just a little bit of digging into Proquest or Sporting News. But since Sporting News is now free to the public, the joys need not stop.

Did you ever find out how to register, Joe? Bill
            Well said Bill, the Babe. No, my screen name, my password was the same as they had me registered with, still no luck, just a fluke. A Brian at that site said I might just try to register with a different screen name and new password, which I will soon try.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
              Well said Bill, the Babe. No, my screen name, my password was the same as they had me registered with, still no luck, just a fluke. A Brian at that site said I might just try to register with a different screen name and new password, which I will soon try.
              When you finally get on that site, you will unlock the doors to a world of infinite treasures. I used to sit for hours at the Palo Alto Library, for many, many years, just browsing the Sporting News. Now that I can do that from home, I'm in my personal heaven.

Just as you found a new world in Proquest, so shall you find that new world in Sporting News, the greatest, best sports/baseball publication that ever existed. Just wait till you see it. Retro Cool beyon belief! Just off the chart in the same way as Proquest.

Now that SABR has lost both, it has lost its 2 huge reasons to join them.

Bill
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-27-2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Sunday, June 26, 1921 Manhasset Long Island: George Ruth, American baseball slugger, visits with Georges Carpentier, French pugilistic slugger. Just six days later, Carpentier would meet Jack Dempsey for the World title in Jersey City. Dempsey would emerge victorious. (Corbis)

Brownie31
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                  When you finally get on that site, you will unlock the doors to a world of infinite treasures. I used to sit for hours at the Palo Alto Library, for many, many years, just browsing the Sporting News. Now that I can do that from home, I'm in my personal heaven.

Just as you found a new world in Proquest, so shall you find that new world in Sporting News, the greatest, best sports/baseball publication that ever existed. Just wait to you see it. Retro Cool beyon belief! Just off the chart in the same way as Proquest.

Now that SABE has lost both, it has lost its 2 huge reasons to join them.

Bill

I did it Bill, finally got things worked out. Just as you said....... great!

Comment

Just thought I'd list as many Babe books as I could. You/Joe might want to archive this, and try to compile all the Babe books ever written. Just a cool little project. And this list should get you started. There must be at least 150-200. In fact, if you use the search engine, I once did list over 50. But since you asked . . .
                    -----------------------------------------------
                    1. The Life that Ruth Built: A Biography, by Marshal Smelser, 1975, 592pp, isbn#0812905407;
                    2. Babe: the Legend Comes to Life, by Robert Creamer, 1974, 443pp isbn#067180393X
                    3. The Babe Book: A Life in Pictures by Lawrence Ritter/Mark Rucker, 1988, 282pp, isbn#089919768X;
                    4. Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend, by Kal Wagenheim, 1974
                    5. The Babe and I, by Mrs. Babe Ruth, 1959
                    6. My Dad, The Babe; Growing Up with an American Hero, by Dorothy Ruth Pirone (w/Chris Martens), 1988, 250pp, isbn#1557700311
                    7. Babe Ruth, The Big Moments of the Big Fellow, by Tom Meany, 1951
                    8. Babe Ruth: The Real Story of the King of Swat, by Tom Meany, 1948
                    9. Babe Ruth, by Art Berke, 1989, isbn#0531104729
                    10. Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend, by George Beim, 1974
                    11. Babe Ruth: a Daughter's Portrait (Julia Ruth Stevens), by (Donald Hall, 1998?), (George Beim, 1992?), 192pp, isbn#0878339957
                    12. The Babe In Red Stockings: An In-Depth Chronicle of Babe Ruth With The Boston Red Sox, 1914-1919, by Kerry Keene, 1997, 250pp isbn#1571671129
                    13. Babe Ruth's Own Book of Baseball, by Ford Frick, 1928
                    14. Babe Ruth: Baseball Boy, One of Baseball's Greatest, (#77 Childhood Of Famouse Americans Series) by Guernsey Van Riper, Jr., 1983, 192pp, isbn#0672527545;
                    15. The Story of Babe Ruth: Baseball's Greatest Legend, by Lisa Eisenberg, 1990, 107pp, isbn#0440402743;
                    16. Babe Ruth, by Wayne Stewart, 2006
                    17. Babe Ruth; His Story in Baseball, by Lee Allen, 1966
                    18. Babe Ruth and the 1918 Red Sox, by Allan Wood, 2000, 436pp, isbn#0595148263
                    19. 1918 : Babe Ruth and the World Champion Boston Red Sox, by James Haskins
                    20. Babe Ruth, by William R. Sanford, Carl R. Green, 1992, 48pp, isbn#0896867412
                    21. Babe Ruth: Home Run Hero, Keith Brandt, 1986, 48pp, isbn#0816705534;
                    22. The Real Babe Ruth, by Dan Daniel, 1948
                    23. The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs, by Bill Jenkinson, 2007
                    24. Babe Ruth: Legends In Sport, by Glenn Stout and Matt Christopher, 2005, 91 pp.
                    25. Babe Ruth, by Martin Weldon, 1948
                    26. Babe Ruth: Launching the Legend by Jim Reisler, 2004, 288pp, isbn#0071432442
                    27. Mighty Babe Ruth (32 pages), by Syd Hoff, 1979
                    28. Babe Ruth (American Legends Series), by Don McLeese, Timothy Noakes, 2002, 24pp, isbn#1589523040
                    29. Babe Ruth's Incredible Records and the 44 Players Who Broke Them, by John A. Mercurio, 1993, isbn#1561712213
                    30. The Babe Ruth Story, by Bob Considine, 1948
                    31. Babe Ruth, by Ray Bains, 1985, 32pp isbn#081670144X;
                    32. Babe Ruth: People of Destiny, by Kenneth Richards, 1967 (A Humanities Series, by Children's Press, Chicago, IL)
                    33. Babe Ruth, Sultan of Swat (Baseball Legends series), by Charles Spain Verral, 1993
                    34. Babe Ruth in Florida, by Kevin McCarthy, 2002 216pp, isbn#074141225X
                    35. Babe Ruth: Sultan of Swat, by Lois Nicholson, 1998, 119pp, isbn#0962542717
                    36. The Bambino Visits Cuba 1920. (Unedited Notes Regarding The Visit Of Babe Ruth To Cuba In 1920), by Yuyo Ruiz
                    37. Babe Ruth: Major League Dad - A Daughter's Cherished Memories, by Julia Ruth Stevens, with Bill Gilbert, 2001, 160pp, isbn#1892049279
                    38. The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth, by Leigh Montville, 2006
                    39. Babe Ruth, Baseballs Legends; Norman L. Macht, 1991
                    40. Babe Ruth: A Biography, by Wayne Stewart, 2006
                    41. Home Run: The Story of Babe Ruth, by Robert Burleigh, 1998, 32pp, isbn#0152009701;
                    42. The Babe Book: Baseball's Greatest Legend Remembered by Ernestine Miller, 2000, 176pp, isbn#0740710125
                    43. Young Babe Ruth: His Early Life and Baseball Career, from the Memoirs of a Xaverian Brother, by Brother Gilbert, 1999, 220pp, isbn#0786406526
                    44. Babe Ruth: (Collector's Book # 1 in the Classic Sports Shots series), by Bruce Weber, 1993, isbn#0590470183
                    45. Babe Ruth (31 pages), by Richard Rambeck, 1993, (Publisher: Childs World)
                    46. Babe Ruth: His Life and Times, by Paul Adomites and Saul Wisnia, 1995
                    47. Babe: The Sports Careers Of George Ruth, Hahn Photographs, 1981
                    48. Babe Ruth: (Champion Sports series), by James Duplacey, 2001
                    49. Babe Ruth (Illustraded Lives Series) by Heroes of America
                    50. The Babe: The Game That Ruth Built, by Lawrence Ritter, 1997 304pp isbn#0965694909
                    51. The Babe Chases 60: That Fabulous 1927 Season, Home Run by Home Run, by John Robertson, 1998, 176pp, isbn#0786405031
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Well, at this moment, this is the list that is available on www.Bookfinder.com
                    http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?au...ic&st=sr&ac=qr

Normally, they have a lot more. But if 48 are listed as available at this moment, you can imagine how many are not available until tomorrow
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• A group formed in Hatfield, England in 1971. Strange to me that a band in England would pick the name Babe Ruth.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Lead singer of the Babe Ruth Band. Jenne Haan.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• The two rivals and music albums. Cobb's from 1912 and Ruth 1920.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Somewhere I have a list of 11 songs and albums written in honor of Babe Ruth, don't know where. One of them written by Irving Berlin.

Here is one from the1920 decade.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected]
                              Joe/Randy,

Kal Wagenheim wrote, "Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend", 1974.

Did he write any other Babe books? I don't want to duplicate any titles on my list.

Did you notice I went back and gave a lot of enhanced value to my original list? Made a little project of it.
                              I am not aware of any other Ruth books put out by Kal, but he does have a Babe Ruth (unabridged) audio cassette available at some book stores. Comments by the Babe himself, teammates, managers and some politicians included in that cassette.

Comment

• Barry Bonds had his 70th career multi-homer game on Friday. He is two behind Babe Ruth's record of 72. The top 10:

Code:
                                Most  Multiple HR Games (Career) 
                                1 Babe Ruth             72 
                                2 Barry Bonds           70 
                                3 Sammy Sosa            68 
                                4 Mark McGwire          67 
                                5 Willie Mays           63 
                                6 Hank Aaron            62 
                                7 Jimmie Foxx           55 
                                8 Frank Robinson        54 
                                9 Ken Griffey           53 
                                10  Eddie Mathews       49