*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by [email protected]
    Thanks, Joe. Did you notice all the extra details I put into the Babe books list? Cool, huh?

I did notice...one question... where do you find all the time, your everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
      Barry Bonds had his 70th career multi-homer game on Friday. He is two behind Babe Ruth's record of 72. The top 10:

Code:
      Most  Multiple HR Games (Career) 
      1 Babe Ruth             72 
      2 Barry Bonds           70 
      3 Sammy Sosa            68 
      4 Mark McGwire          67 
      5 Willie Mays           63 
      6 Hank Aaron            62 
      7 Jimmie Foxx           55 
      8 Frank Robinson        54 
      9 Ken Griffey           53 
      10  Eddie Mathews       49 
      T10. Mel Ott            49

Dang, I would have sworn I've responded to this post before, along with other members. Was this on another thread, too? Or, are we not permitted to criticize Mr. Bonds' bogus performance and records any longer - except between coughs? If that's the case, please let me know, and I shall refrain from putting any work into such posts.

Or, as I hope (but couldn't find), maybe I (we) just posted on a different thread to an identically written post.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TRfromBR; 04-17-2007, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• You know, he may be Babe Ruth but he can be handled, you just have to know how to pitch him, Rogers Hornsby 1926 World Series.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Here is another slow pitch that Babe took a liking to. Off of Charlie Root in the 1932 World Series. This one struck a ticket booth at Wrigley near the corner of Waveland and Sheffield Avenue.

Pitcher Charlie Root gives his account.
          Attached Files

Comment

• did the Babe ever offer an opinion on Josh Gibson?

Comment

• Ldhr

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
              You know, he may be Babe Ruth but he can be handled, you just have to know how to pitch him, Rogers Hornsby 1926 World Series.
              Wow! a long one for a slow pitch
              Last edited by elmer; 04-29-2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Ldhr

Here is another slow pitch that Babe took a liking to. Off of Charlie Root in the 1932 World Series. This one struck a ticket booth at Wrigley near the corner of Waveland and Sheffield'(Quote)'
                where did the photo come from?
                Last edited by elmer; 04-29-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackout805 View Post
                  did the Babe ever offer an opinion on Josh Gibson?
                  Can't say he did or did not, I've never seen any comments that Ruth put down about Josh.

Comment

• Originally posted by elmer View Post
                    That broken window in the show room was 503' from home plate.
                    off a "slow one"!!!!. The ball of course traveled another few feet.
                    Here is a shot of the show room window. The owner left the window broken with the picture of the Babe for a week or two.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      Here is another slow pitch that Babe took a liking to. Off of Charlie Root in the 1932 World Series. This one struck a ticket booth at Wrigley near the corner of Waveland and Sheffield Avenue.

Pitcher Charlie Root gives his account.
                      I have posted this pic here on on a number of other boards and have been asked the exact location of that ticket booth that the Ruth home run struck in that 1932 WS. How far was it, the booth from that intersection, did it almost leave the park.

My opinion it was only feet from leaving the park. I believe I have accurately pin pointed the ticket booth in this pic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Well now I would say positively that pic I posted earlier was accurate. That red line ends exactely where the booth was, where the ball struck.

I cropped the pic and isolated on that area of the ticket booth. It appears to be small, a booth and I don't see any other way spectators could enter the park in that area. Looks closed up and the only way in is through that booth.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected]
                          Guys, so much of the last pages, after Randy's superb organization, is more suited to Babe Ruth Discussion Thread.

This thread was originally intended for the harder Babe material, and the Discussion Thread was intended for the softer, conversational stuff.

Things such as personality, praise, off-field tid-bits would be better positioned there, so that this one could dazzle. Just my 2 cents. But fear not. Nothing here will be touched by me. No deletions will occur from me. That's Randy's job now.

Bill
                          I'll give it a try Bill, but if you go back over dozens of posts here on the Babe Ruth thread and the other you mention Babe Ruth discussion thread it's difficult to determine which one you should post to. Both threads have the type of material that the other has, how do we tell the difference. The last post on the Babe Ruth discussion thread was on April 3 while almost 30 have been posted on this thread, 27 posts I believe on this one the Babe Ruth thread. Is it possible that all 27 except for the last few all belong here and not on the other thread.

I think what happens at least in my case, I see a Babe Ruth thread and thats where I post. The other thread has been inactive so long it's back about 3 pages so I jump on the one I see first and it appears that a number of others have done the same. No one is even searching for the Babe Ruth discussion thread, dormant for almost a month.

A lot of words from me, but again I get your point will try to be more selective.
                          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 04-29-2007, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Here's an very in-depth breakdown of Babe's career homeruns I stumbled upon:

Ruth's 714

Interesting to note that Babe hit over 10 homeruns off of three different left handed pitchers- he hit at least 10 off of 13 different pitchers (two of them were Lefty Grove and Walter Johnson). Ruth hit 9 off of Grove, despite Grove's usage pattern during the A's dynasty, wherein he hardly faced the Yankees. I'd love to see his career numbers against left handed pitching; I think it would make his hitting/slugging exploits even more impressive to me.

Does anyone know how many times Ruth faced Johnson or Grove, and what his career numbers were against the two greatest of his time, aside from his homerun totals?

Comment

Here's an very in-depth breakdown of Babe's career homeruns I stumbled upon:

Ruth's 714

Interesting to note that Babe hit over 10 homeruns off of three different left handed pitchers- he hit at least 10 off of 13 different pitchers (two of them were Lefty Grove and Walter Johnson). Ruth hit 9 off of Grove, despite Grove's usage pattern during the A's dynasty, wherein he hardly faced the Yankees. I'd love to see his career numbers against left handed pitching; I think it would make his hitting/slugging exploits even more impressive to me.

Does anyone know how many times Ruth faced Johnson or Grove, and what his career numbers were against the two greatest of his time, aside from his homerun totals?

One of Ruth's lost home runs involved Left Grove. April 15, 1930 at Shibe Park. Ruth hit a long drive to right center field that cleared the wall but struck a speaker support and bounced back on to the playing field. The Yanks lost the argument and Ruth was sent back to second base, a double. That came off off Left Grove, third inning with one man on base.

September 26, 1930 same deal, ball clears wall strikes same speaker support. Again the Yanks lose the argument another double. This one off off Athletic's pitcher Perkins.

Ruth ended the season with 49 home runs, could have been his 5th season with 50 or more home runs.

Comment

Here's an very in-depth breakdown of Babe's career homeruns I stumbled upon:

Ruth's 714

Great breakdown, but I don't understand what LO IP refer to. IP usually meaning innings pitched in baseball abbreviations.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X