No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gehringer play and then with the Braves.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Quite right, 10-4.
      ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• Re: 9 shutouts. Isn't that still a record for shutouts by a lefty in the AL? I know Ron Guidry tied it though.
        ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
          Re: 9 shutouts. Isn't that still a record for shutouts by a lefty in the AL? I know Ron Guidry tied it though.
          Yeah, but Ruth had a save that year and Guidry didn't in '78, so we'll give Jidge the nod :atthepc

Comment

• Could the game end any other way, put him on the stage and he performs.
            Sept.20, 1919, Babe Ruth Day at Fenway, walk off game winner, deep left center, by clock on wall.
            Babe rounding second, pitcher Lefty Williams throws his mitt into the outfield, walks to the dugout.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Holy crap, how did this get to 60+ pages?

I will ask ShoelessJoe and anyone else willing to help consolidate, with respect to the initial posts INDEX. Burgess, can you grant certain editing privileges to those willing to help. I do not have the time at the moment.

Comment

• In this game he was walked 3 times. Twice even though coming to the plate battinhg RH, they walked him, taking no chances.
                Maybe not feared as much batting right handed but another reason for walking the RH batting Bam.
                Earlier in the season he came to bat RH when he knew he was going to be put on base.
                He took one strike batting RH and then batted lefthanded. Now after a mound conference the Indians chose to pitch to him one strike down. He homered on the next pitch.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                  Holy crap, how did this get to 60+ pages?

I will ask ShoelessJoe and anyone else willing to help consolidate, with respect to the initial posts INDEX. Burgess, can you grant certain editing privileges to those willing to help. I do not have the time at the moment.
                  Randy, if I were Forum Moderator, I could do that. But I do not have that authority. Only Forum Mod, leecemark, can do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                    In this game he was walked 3 times. Twice even though coming to the plate battinhg RH, they walked him, taking no chances.
                    Maybe not feared as much batting right handed but another reason for walking the RH batting Bam.
                    Earlier in the season he came to bat RH when he knew he was going to be put on base.
                    He took one strike batting RH and then batted lefthanded. Now after a mound conference the Indians chose to pitch to him one strike down. He homered on the next pitch.
                    Awesome post, Shoeless

I never knew that Ruth was a switch hitter. Do you know how many hits or HRs Ruth had from the right side of the dish?

Or better yet, maybe Ruth wasn't a switch hitter. Perhads he just baited the pitcher to actually throw pitches in the strikezone to him due to falling behind on the count. Either way, it's a great story.
                    Last edited by pheasant; 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                      Awesome post, Shoeless

I never knew that Ruth was a switch hitter. Do you know how many hits or HRs Ruth had from the right side of the dish?

Or better yet, maybe Ruth wasn't a switch hitter. Perhads he just baited the pitcher to actually throw pitches in the strikezone to him due to falling behind on the count. Either way, it's a great story.
                      I don't think he ever made out batting right handed or got a hit.

Out of frustration, he knew they would walk him batting LH so he switched to the right side.

In two of his RH at bats he was walked.
                      In two other RH at bats he switched to the left side one time after one strike, the other time after two strikes, homered once and struck out the other time, so the homer and SO came from the left side.
                      What I know, officially he has no at bats batting RH, walked both times.

Switching may have cost him a 4 homer game.May 1930 already had hit 3 homers in that game.His last at bat they were going to walk him, came to bat batting RH. Took two strikes, switched to the left side and struck out.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                        I don't think he ever made out batting right handed or got a hit.

Out of frustration, he knew they would walk him batting LH so he switched to the right side.

In two of his RH at bats he was walked.
                        In two other RH at bats he switched to the left side one time after one strike, the other time after two strikes, homered once and struck out the other time, so the homer and SO came from the left side.
                        What I know, officially he has no at bats batting RH, walked both times.

Switching may have cost him a 4 homer game.May 1930 already had hit 3 homers in that game.His last at bat they were going to walk him, came to bat batting RH. Took two strikes, switched to the left side and struck out.
                        I think it was in Jenkinson or Smelser that he "smacked" a double batting righty, could have been an exhibition game. I know he could write with either hand, he sometimes switched when he got tired from signing autographs...and back and St. Mary's, he perfected the glove switch and throw while catching...but apparently worked on throwing righty as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                          I think it was in Jenkinson or Smelser that he "smacked" a double batting righty, could have been an exhibition game. I know he could write with either hand, he sometimes switched when he got tired from signing autographs...and back and St. Mary's, he perfected the glove switch and throw while catching...but apparently worked on throwing righty as well.

That could be, sounds like something he might just try in exhibition.

Comment

• Was just browsing through Jenkinson's extensively researched and masterful piece of work "Recrowning Baseball's Greatest Slugger", reading about DiMaggio, and something on Ruth popped up. This is from the same section, broken up a bit to save time.

"...For example, Joe DiMaggio was actually handicapped by playing in Yankee Stadium. Every time he batted in his home field during his entire career, he did so knowing that it was physically impossible for him to hit a home run to the half of the field directly in front of him. That's right! If you look at a baseball field from foul line to foul line, it has a 90-degree radius. From the power alley in left centerfield (430 in Joe's time) to the fence in deep right center field (407 feet), it is 45 degrees. And Joe DiMaggio never hit a single home run over the fences at Yankee Stadium in that 45-degree graveyard."

"How can we know for sure? It's simple really. Every home run that Bonds ever hit has been plotted on the old Yankee Stadium grid, and none of them would have left the field in either center field or left center field. And consider this, Joe DiMaggio wasn't the only slugger who had a hard time with those daunting dimensions. Whereas Joe D lost about 45 degrees of home run territory in New York, the mighty Bambino himself lost about 30 degrees of viable target space."

"American Leaguer hurlers consistently challenged Ruth with outside pitches, daring him to pound it toward center field. He regularly drove them 450 feet or more, and would simply wind up with F-8 in the scorebook. The nastiest of those was probably the one on July 8, 1931, when Babe had already reached second base as his rocket was caught two steps shy of the 490-foot mark"

"When Barry Bonds hits one of his best shots to center field, he gets to trot around the bases. From 1923-1934, when Yankee Stadium was home to Babe Ruth, the Bambino hit fifty-seven official home runs over various left center field and center field fences. A grand total of one of those came in New York. And that one barely qualifies. On May 31, 1924, Ruth launched one about five degrees to the right field side of straightaway center. The ball landed well up in the bleachers near the scoreboard, reportedly 525 feet away from hom plate. And that's the only one he ever hit out of the park to the one-third of the field extending from the center field end of the scoreboard to the left field grandstand. All the old ballparks were tough on Babe Ruth, but to carry that anchor around his home turf for twelve years? That was a ponderous burden."
                            Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• I posted a similar comment on Ruth and old Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago.. Not sure if it was this thread or the Barry Bonds thread. Yes RF was short but overall the park was big, center field 487 and I believe 493 just to the left of center.

It had to be that Babe poked a small number down that line, although after going over a few hundred game recaps from the newspaper archives at Proquest, the description, most would have been gone in other parks.

So we will never know how many went down the RF line for home runs, not hit that deep.

But in my post a few weeks ago, I did comment on ther fact that as far as I know Babe Ruth never hit a home run into the CF bleachers at Yankee Stadium.
                              Only one conclusion reached from the above words, Babe Ruth had to lose a number of home runs on balls hit to centerfied, even a bit to the left or right side of dead CF.
                              How could it be that he hit home runs to centerfield in just about every other park, some very deep 450-460 feet, but none at home.
                              He had to hit some long drives to CF that just died, were only long outs.
                              Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-28-2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X