Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    What are the odds, speakers/horns on top of the right field wall at Shibe Park would be hit twice in one season............by the same hitter.
    Babe Ruth, two drives that cleared the wall, hit the speakers bounced back on the field, no home run, a double.
    That was 1930 and cost Babe his 5th season with 50 or more home runs, he finished with 49. He would have been the only hitter with 5 seasons, 50 or more.
    Also one was off off Lefty Grove. That would have given him the most homers off of Grove, number 10.
    A three way tie, most homers off of Grove. Ruth, Gehrig and Grenberg, all with 9 homers.

1930 Babe hits speakers at Shibe pic and text..jpg

Leave a comment:

• elmer
    replied
    Lest we forget, Buffalo Evening News Oct. 1, 1927
    fffff.jpg

Leave a comment:

• GoslinFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    This photo is hilarious!

FB_IMG_1664121546005.jpg
    Never seen that before. Great shot.

have you seen this one with Dorothy?

Or this champion egg layer pic is cool too
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GoslinFan; 09-26-2022, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoslinFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    It may difficult for us in todays time to know the impact Babe had on the public, not only baseball fans.
    I have gone over a few hundred or more newspaper articles over some years from the Proquest news archives, game recaps and other articles not connected to the game.
    I consider this source the most accurate. They are not hand me down stories that may be exaggerated or not so accurate, honest mistakes.
    The articles appeared at Proquest the same day or within a few days, no other source other be judged to be more accurate.
    Number one, no TV in that time, just the sight of Ruth live in games or out in the public, was a big event.

This guy lived only 53 years but it was more like 153 years, he was always on the move, making appearances off the field, always in the news and not only on the sports page.
    Here is a baseball player, playing a different game, window breaking. Fans could not believe what they were seeing, a hitter hitting balls deep into the bleachers, out of parks, over buildings, changing the game.
    For some years, often he would have dinner in a separate dining car on trains. When eating with the team, many on the train would walk through the dining car to get a look at him. Some even asking for an autograph, congregating in the dining car, better he should have dinner alone

I always say, words can never explain what it was like in the game and in public to get a look at Babe Ruth...............you had to be there.
    Ahh you make great points. Hard for us to imagine a world without internet or TV but this is why those barnstorming trips were so important in spreading the game. Thank God he did not have his ability with Gehrig's reserved personality. The fact that he loved being Babe Ruth but also treated everyone the same made it all possible His upbringing turned out to be a blessing in disguise, or better put, he turned lemons into lemonade.
    Last edited by GoslinFan; 09-26-2022, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Joe Dimaggio finally get paid 100,000 a year to play baseball, late 1940s.
    How popular was Babe Ruth. In 1926 Pantages booking agency paid Babe 100,000 to do a 12 week stage act.
    That is the highest amount for any single act in 1926, higher than any professional stage act.
    He has no act, he banters with those who pay to see him on stage. Brings children on stage, kids with them, play catch.

Can you believe it, Babe was arrested and booked after finishing his act.
    The crime, violation of the state of California's Child Labor Law.
    The crime, he invited some children on stage to play catch.
    He never showed in court and the charge was dismissed.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post
    He was a great showman i if there was a camera he could find it.
    I think it was more the cameras looking for Babe, he was always a good story in the news, even his public life.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

He's wearing his spikes!!
    Here is the Bam" and Albert biking, of course different years. One news article in the Boston Globe in 1914, described Babe's bike riding as reckless, weaving in traffic, some time on sidewalks, just the way he lived his life, full speed ahead. I have at least a few of his auto accidents, some really big, one was a rollover.
    On the bike in Boston, we have to recall, only 19 years old. And only months before, confined to Saint Mary's. Now turned loose in the booming city of Boston, a new world to him. From Saint Mary's to MLB age 19.

Babe Ruth Albert Einstein Bike Ride Your Story 9-10-22.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    It may difficult for us in todays time to know the impact Babe had on the public, not only baseball fans.
    I have gone over a few hundred or more newspaper articles over some years from the Proquest news archives, game recaps and other articles not connected to the game.
    I consider this source the most accurate. They are not hand me down stories that may be exaggerated or not so accurate, honest mistakes.
    The articles appeared at Proquest the same day or within a few days, no other source other be judged to be more accurate.
    Number one, no TV in that time, just the sight of Ruth live in games or out in the public, was a big event.

This guy lived only 53 years but it was more like 153 years, he was always on the move, making appearances off the field, always in the news and not only on the sports page.
    Here is a baseball player, playing a different game, window breaking. Fans could not believe what they were seeing, a hitter hitting balls deep into the bleachers, out of parks, over buildings, changing the game.
    For some years, often he would have dinner in a separate dining car on trains. When eating with the team, many on the train would walk through the dining car to get a look at him. Some even asking for an autograph, congregating in the dining car, better he should have dinner alone

I always say, words can never explain what it was like in the game and in public to get a look at Babe Ruth...............you had to be there.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 09-26-2022, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• carsdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

He was a great showman i if there was a camera he could find it.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    This photo is hilarious!

FB_IMG_1664121546005.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    This photo is hilarious!

FB_IMG_1664121546005.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    The debate will go on for all time, who was the greatest, who hit the longest home run and none of us can prove what we believe.
    This is not about the greatest but just some words on Babe
    No matter where he fits in, so evident he had a great swing and did hit some long balls.
    May 25 1935, he was gone, done. According to Guy Bush Pittsburgh pitcher, it was clear his legs were gone.
    On that day, 3 home runs and a single, number 714 over the roof at Forbes Field.
    So tired he went to the Pirates bench to sit, because it was a shorter distance to his position in the outfield.

In this long distance contest in 1938, his competition was younger, in their prime and among the leaders in home runs.

Long distance text complete.jpg

Leave a comment:

• carsdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by JessePopHaines16 View Post

Well that's because in the early 60s. Home runs were at record highs. Same in the early 30s.
    You are correct

Leave a comment:

• JessePopHaines16
    replied
    Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post

In the middle to late 60's and the 70's there is no question pitcher's had a favorable strike , and the umpire's called a pitcher friendly game as they were told to do.
    Well that's because in the early 60s. Home runs were at record highs. Same in the early 30s.

Leave a comment:

• carsdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Can you imagine, of course speaking in jest................if the strike zone went back to anywhere even close to the armpits................it was there at one time.
    Overall vertical and horizontal the strike zone in smaller now than ever.
    In the middle to late 60's and the 70's there is no question pitcher's had a favorable strike , and the umpire's called a pitcher friendly game as they were told to do.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X