Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Ruth visits another young boy at home, unlike Johnny Sylvester, this was a sad ending, Chicago 1932. The boy was injured and blinded in an explosion, Ruth gave him a baseball. Ruth's teammate who was with him said Ruth left in tears. He knew what the boy had not been told yet, he would never regain his sight. Z Babe visits blind boy..jpg

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    One story from Joe Dugan told about an event that took place in Saint Louis. Babe and him driving in the black section saw a group of black kids sitting on some tenement steps. They recognized him called out his name. He parked, spent some time talking to the kids. When he left, he opened his trunk and left them with a number of bats, mitts and baseballs. So sad that some of the great black players were not in the game in that time period. The early history of the game would have been so enhanced if they were in the game in that time.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    This article was not picked up by any of the white big newspapers. Ruth saw no class distinction or color. If you were the president or a doorman, you were in the same class. Same with skin color. Here he praises the black players and their ability to play the game.

babe in praise of black players.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by oddsox1919 View Post
    Wish I could see that pic of the Babe with holding black orphan.
    No luck finding that one in my saved folders. Still searching for my missing flash drive loaded with Babe photos. You may have seen this one taken at an orphanage with children and one at an exhibition game. Blacks who played against Babe in exhibition games had praise for him. Appears they viewed him as seeing them with no prejudice, they got along fine.

Babe Ruth black boy.jpg Babe Ruth black fans.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    A part of Babe's Bosox contract, seasons 1916-17.
    Babe Ruth contract 2222.JPG

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    I have seen that one and one other pic, Babe standing with a white and black youngster.. At this time looking for a flash drive full of Babe newspaper articles and also hundreds of photos of old parks. It has to be here, where I don't know. Will post that pic if I find that drive.

Leave a comment:

• oddsox1919
    replied
    Wish I could see that pic of the Babe with holding black orphan.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    It appears that George Ruth really knew the game. Later it was found the 1930 NL ball was made livelier.
    Babe and the ball 2.JPG
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Seasons with .350 BA, .475 OBP, .700 SLG, 40 HR, 130 Runs:

Babe Ruth - 8
    All other players combined - 0

Leave a comment:

• layson27
    replied
    Thress has him as a slight negative on the bases, but retrosheet only has complete play by play based data back to 1932.
    http://baseball.tomthress.com/StatTa...0.333333333333

It's plausible he could be a plus on the bases when all the data comes in.

Ruth's fielding record:
    http://baseball.tomthress.com/StatTa...0.333333333333

He looks like a net neutral now, but that could change. Of the others, TZ loves his fielding but DRA only likes it.

Leave a comment:

• Floyd Gondolli
    replied
    Anyone have thoughts on Babe's (most up do date) base running and fielding metrics? Retrosheet is mostly complete back through 1918, now.

How do his skills pan out?

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    The first "Unofficial" home run at Yankee Stadium, Feb.19,1923. Babe first homer pic.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    This started around 2001. In Gotham Magazine Spike Lee asked the question, was Babe Ruth black. The magazine gets silly saying, you can't prove he was not black
    You may not recall, this was discussed on this board in 2008. The thread stated on1-9-2008 by member Wdl. In fact you posted a reply to that on 1-9-2008.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    So until few days ago I had no idea there are a small group of "Babe Ruth birthers" who truly believe Babe Ruth is black. At first I thought they were joking but it turns out they are quite serious. It's the most bizarre thing I've heard in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Wonder if they just twisted that event that took place in front of his dad's saloon.
    From what I read some years ago Babe's father had some trouble with a patron in the saloon. The fight took to the street and Babe's dad struck by the man, fell and hit his head, he died. Later story said the man was Babe's dad's brother-in-law.
    Some people have an agenda. They want to co-op the Babe for their own socio-political purposes.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X