Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if only one cy young award in 1969?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • if only one cy young award in 1969?

    my question is this:
    who would have won the cy young hardware in 1969 had just one award been handed out?

    in 1969, tom seaver (nl) and mike cuellar and denny mcclain (tied al) were the recipients.

    the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s are to follow. i just didn’t wanna flood the board with ‘em all at once.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

  • #2
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    my question is this:
    who would have won the cy young hardware in 1969 had just one award been handed out?

    in 1969, tom seaver (nl) and mike cuellar and denny mcclain (tied al) were the recipients.

    the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s are to follow. i just didn’t wanna flood the board with ‘em all at once.
    How bout Juan Marichal - 166 ERA+, .994 WHIP

    Looks like he didn't get very good run support. Classic case of "Wins" not meaning that much.

    On the other hand, Seaver's park was much more of a hitters ballpark.

    Comment


    • #3
      juan marichal. that's what i'm talkin' about!
      i'm glad that you mentioned him, sultan, 'cause i didn't wanna be a homer and be the first to put him out there.

      the dominican dandy and the franchise -- that's a pretty decent run-off right there.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, he's pretty underrated imo.

        Suffers from Tris Speaker/Frank Robinson syndrome (possibly even Duke). Overshadowed through no fault of their own.

        Comment


        • #5
          --It would have been nice to see Marichal finally get one, but since he didn't even win his league's its a safe bet he wouldn't have won a combined award. Seaver runs away with this one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
            How bout Juan Marichal - 166 ERA+, .994 WHIP

            Looks like he didn't get very good run support. Classic case of "Wins" not meaning that much.

            On the other hand, Seaver's park was much more of a hitters ballpark.
            Gibson had basically the same ERA+ with more IP and should have been the overall winner
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

            Comment


            • #7
              I personally would have voted for Marichal, but agree the writers would have opted for Seaver.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                Gibson had basically the same ERA+ with more IP and should have been the overall winner
                I show Seaver having the same ERA+ at 166, despite being .11 behind in raw ERA to Marichal. Must be the park factor that brings him up to equal?

                Gibby had a 164 ERA+ that year, basically the same, you're right.

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X