X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Mark,

Those who were with one team a long time like Mack,
    Connie got along very well with A's ownership, far as I know...

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
      --For me a manager needs to be successfull with more than one team to be considered amoung the all time greats.
      So Casey's out?

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds
        So Casey's out?
        Casey was succesful with different teams. The late 40's teams centered around DiMaggio that he won championships bore very little resemblence to the late 50's teams centered around Mantle that he won with. If you re-read Mark's posts, he said that having full roster turnover counts as multiple teams.
        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

1.Whitey Herzog(can't help myself)
          2.John McGraw
          3.Casey Stengal
          4.Earl Weaver
          5.Billy Martin
          6.Billy Southworth
          7.Connie Mack
          8.Bill McKechnie
          9.Casey Stengal
          10.Miller Huggins
          11.Bobby Cox
          12.Tony LaRussa

al
          Last edited by nightal; 01-02-2005, 10:57 PM.
          Waner, Mantle, Bench, Nightal?

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
            Casey was succesful with different teams. The late 40's teams centered around DiMaggio that he won championships bore very little resemblence to the late 50's teams centered around Mantle that he won with. If you re-read Mark's posts, he said that having full roster turnover counts as multiple teams.
            You are correct sir!

My apologies to Mark!

In my defense I can only say that my reasoning faculties were numbed by " ... and he deserves some credit for that ..."

Comment

Not that anyone cares about Total Baseball, but they rank managers by how many games they should have won given the scored/allowed differential, not whether the owner let them buy good players. Some of their better ones include BCox, Howser, HJennings, BMartin, ALopez, Weaver, Chance, Larussa, Rose and Herman Franks. Some of their worse ones include Lasorda and McCarthy (he won 106 in '39 but "should" have won 114)
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Anyone care to put the 2nd echelon managers into sequence.

Al Lopez
                Walt Alston
                Sparkdy Anderson
                Earl Weaver
                Bucky Harris

Bill Burgess

Comment

--I wouldn't describe Lopez, Anderson, Weaver or Alston as "2nd echelon". Any of them are about as good as anybody else. Weaver, I actually think might be the best manager ever. Anyway, my order;
                  1) Weaver, 2) Lopez, 3) Anderson, 4) Alston, 5) Harris. Bucky is way behind the others IMO.

Comment

Hmm. Thanks. Maybe I shouldn't have included Weaver. He was like Herzog and Martin. Won wherever he went.

Thanks.

BB

Comment

Anyone care to put the 2nd echelon managers into sequence.

Al Lopez
                      Walt Alston
                      Sparkdy Anderson
                      Earl Weaver
                      Bucky Harris

Bill Burgess
                      Who says they're second-tier? I'll go with
                      Alston
                      Weaver
                      Lopez
                      Anderson
                      Harris
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

They are only 2nd string compared to Mack, McGraw, Stengel, McCarthy, Hanlon. I've leave 1 name off the 1st string, so no one will need prepare the tar & feathers. I so hate when that happens.

Bill Burgess

Comment

They are only 2nd string compared to Mack, McGraw, Stengel, McCarthy, Hanlon. I've leave 1 name off the 1st string, so no one will need prepare the tar & feathers. I so hate when that happens.

Bill Burgess
                          McCarthy, Stengel & McGraw, gee they had such bad material to work with. Mack's main asset was longevity. Hanlon sure slipped at the end. You forgot Cobb

Comment

Jeffrey,

"You forgot Cobb."

No, I didn't. I am merely excercising the anti-tar & feathers defense mechanism.

I know this house too well.

Bill Burgess

Comment

I thought I'd clean out my earlier closet and resurrect some survey/polls for the new batch of guys.

Bill

Comment

We could use a good laugh, so my approximate order is
                                Cox
                                Alston
                                McKechnie
                                Jennings
                                Weaver
                                Martin
                                Anderson
                                LaRussa
                                Houk
                                Valentine
                                Herzog
                                Lopez
                                Griffith
                                Huggins
                                WRobinson
                                Zimmer
                                SO'Neill
                                Chance
                                Dressen
                                Southworth

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X