Favorite players: Ted Williams, Rogers Hornsby, Stan Musial

GO SOX!!

Comment

1. Sandy Koufax
      2. Three Finger Brown
      3. Jim Palmer
      4. Whity Ford
      5. Nolan Ryan
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

1. Mordecai Brown
        2. Rube Waddell
        3. Amos Rusie
        4. Eddie Plank
        5. Nolan Ryan

Comment

1. Koufax
          2. Ryan
          3. Brown
          4. Palmer
          5. Ford
          MySpace Codes

Comment

I'm almost too embarrassed to move this up.

Comment

Check the 50th Greatest Player thread for my latest explanation. Here's where things get tricky. Our leader on the full five man ballots has a comfortable lead, but not a lock. When I add in the four man votes, our second place player surges ahead. But there is an opening in those fifth place ballots where if they were filled, the first place player on the full ballots could tie it up. I'll leave it to you guys. Should the guy leading with 16 full ballots get it, or the guy leading with 16 full and five four-person ballots?
              "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
                Check the 50th Greatest Player thread for my latest explanation. Here's where things get tricky. Our leader on the full five man ballots has a comfortable lead, but not a lock. When I add in the four man votes, our second place player surges ahead. But there is an opening in those fifth place ballots where if they were filled, the first place player on the full ballots could tie it up. I'll leave it to you guys. Should the guy leading with 16 full ballots get it, or the guy leading with 16 full and five four-person ballots?
                Do we have a protocol for this? Is there something in past posts which deals with this? What does Bill think/say?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                  Do we have a protocol for this? Is there something in past posts which deals with this? What does Bill think/say?
                  I will support AstrosFan. He has earned my discretion. I don't think we do have a protocol to govern this. We might use Judd's (AstroFan's) procedure and stick with it for a few rounds.

Comment

1. Ed Walsh
                    2. Phil Niekro
                    3. Robin Roberts
                    4. Bullet Rogan
                    5. John Clarkson

Under consideration: Brown, Keefe, Mussina, Perry, Radbourn
                    Last edited by Chadwick; 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM.
                    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Same criteria as for the hitters:

1. John Clarkson
                      2. Tim Keefe
                      3. Ed Walsh
                      4. Nolan Ryan'
                      5. Addie Joss
                      ----------------------------
                      6. Gaylord Perry
                      7. Bert Blyleven
                      8. Sandy Koufax
                      9. Curt Schilling
                      10. Eddie Plank
                      "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                      George Brett

Comment

Congratulations to the New York Giants' 60's pitching standout, Juan 'the Diminican Dandy' Marichal for winning our 19th Greatest Pitcher Poll! He scored 37 points from our 14 voters, including 4 first place votes. The following chase pack consisted of Mordecai Brown, the Cubs' turn-of-the-century pitching ace, & Sandy Koufax, my childhood idol. Three-Fingered Brown picked up 29 points with 2 first place votes while Sandy collected 29 points and 3 first places.

Did not read the other posts but the New York Giants ceased to exist in 1957 and Marichal's career began in 1960.
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Brad, as almost always, is a voice of reason: nary a mention from him of Ryan so far.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                            Congratulations to the New York Giants' 60's pitching standout, Juan 'the Diminican Dandy' Marichal for winning our 19th Greatest Pitcher Poll! He scored 37 points from our 14 voters, including 4 first place votes. The following chase pack consisted of Mordecai Brown, the Cubs' turn-of-the-century pitching ace, & Sandy Koufax, my childhood idol. Three-Fingered Brown picked up 29 points with 2 first place votes while Sandy collected 29 points and 3 first places.

Did not read the other posts but the New York Giants ceased to exist in 1957 and Marichal's career began in 1960.
                            I stand reproved.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                              Brad, as almost always, is a voice of reason: nary a mention from him of Ryan so far.
                              As (almost always) you flatter me, sir. LOL Just found my quote of the week!
                              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

1-Mordecai Brown
                                2-Sandy Koufax
                                3-Nolan Ryan
                                4-Whitey Ford
                                5-Jim Palmer

Next 5 Honorable Mention: Phil Neikro, Gaylord Perry, Robin Roberts, Bert Blyleven, Ferguson Jenkins
                                Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X