Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pat Burrell: Worst World Series performance ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you mean "has been consistently bad." And this is the stuff I wanted to hear. "Thank God they were playing the Cubs." Hold on, gotta get it together again...
    Favorite Clubs: Yankees, Giants
    Favorite Players: Nick Swisher, Robinson Cano, Mariano Rivera, Barry Bonds, Brian Wilson, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux

Comment

I remember Eddie Mathews had a terrible World Series in 1958. The Braves were defending World Champions, were leading three games to one, and lost to the Yankees in seven games. Mathews was 4 for 25 with 11 strikeouts, which I believe set a record for strikeouts at the time. When Willie Wilson struck out 12 times in the 1980 World Series, I remember reading where Mathews was happy that he at least didn't have that record anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanYeti View Post
        Was there another Pat Burrell in the World Series I'm not aware of? Because his defense was brutal. The Gil Hodges series is certainly worse, especially with that "key double play" but I don't think it can be overstated how dreadful Burrell was.
        well I never heard of Hodges, but I don't think Pat Burrel didn't contribute at all. I mean, walks do count as contribution.

I do hope he does better next time
        General baseball forum
        Visit my baseball blog

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Halladay View Post
          well I never heard of Hodges,
          Oh God, I feel so old...
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee Walker View Post
            In the 1935 World Series, the left side of the Tigers' infield went 1 for 36. Marv Owen was 1 for 20, and substitute shortstop Flea Clifton was 0 for 16. They had two walks each, and somehow managed to score three runs.
            Owen was hit by pitch.

So Marv Owen's career record, 1934 and 1935, was 3-for-54, all singles, with two walks and two hit by pitch.
            Averages .061/.132/.061

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              Oh God, I feel so old...
              You and me both, aches......

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Halladay View Post
                well I never heard of Hodges,
                WHAT???!!!???

Okay, I know you're joking- right?

Comment

You don't need to be old.
                  Many people know of Gil Hodges because he ranked first, tie first-second, third, and fourth in the 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009 elections for the Hall of Fame --the voting by HOF members and honorees, and then by members only, which elected no one. Successively these were the leaders, listing everyone who made a strong showing, where I call 'em as I see 'em.
                  : Hodges, Oliva, Santo
                  : Hodges & Santo, Oliva, Kaat, Torre
                  : Santo, Kaat, Hodges, Oliva
                  : Santo, Kaat, Oliva, Hodges

Comment

Heinie Zimmerman in the 1917 Series was pretty bad - didn't hit and looked bad in a rundown against Eddie Collins (Zimmerman played 3rd and basically chased Collins as he ran home safely).

Year Age Tm Lg Series Opp Rslt G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP
                    1917 30 NYG NL WS CHW L 6 25 25 1 3 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 .120 .120 .200 .320

Comment

Originally posted by paulamarty601 View Post
                      Zimmerman played 3rd and basically chased Collins as he ran home safely).
                      "Who was I supposed to throw the ball to - Klem?"

Comment

Roger Peckinpaugh 1925 WS playing for the Senators. Pirates take WS 4-3.
                        Peck batted .250, 6 for 24, 3 RBI and one homer.
                        At SS he made 8 errors. One really hurt.

Game 2, game tied 1-1, 8th inning. Makes error and Cuyler hits 2 run home run, Pirates up 3-1. Later in that inning he makes his second error but Pirates do not score. Senators score one in 9th an lose 3-2. This is the Senators only loss in the first 4 games.

Game 4 he makes a throwing error to first base but gets lucky, Judge trying to score out at home. Senators win 4-3.

Game 6 he is picked off second base but advances to third on error.

He made at least one error in every game. After one of his errors the runner was erased on a DP. Some times we see errors made and the team does not score, what do we hear, the error did not hurt. I have to question that one, it could hurt later. Unless that runner is erased or picked off, it could hurt later in the game. It could mean having to face a hitter you don't want to see come to the plate later in the game. It's a possibility.
                        Not a good WS for Peck
                        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X