Bob Gibson------Pete Lacock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkoch View Post
    You people,who never saw him pitch. are taking pot shots of my favorite ball player of all time, Bob Gibson. I loved Willie Mays, but all around I think Bob, in my 88 years, was the best ballplayer and athelete I`ve seen in my lifetime. He could do it all, a great fielder of his own position,even though he came off the mound in an akward position but was a great athelete otherwise. He was a good hitter,when occasion demanded it and a great player defensively, I remember one season, when he broke his leg[I`m sure some of you statisics freaks can fill in the date], I attended a game in San Francisco,with my sons, and we allways attende batting practice, where he was hobbleing around third base instructing Ed Spiezo[Scotts father] helping to field ground balls. I don`t think he was a head hunter. He would throw inside, which was done at the time, but I think he was not a head hunter. He was one of the greatest players of all time,as evidenced by his election to the HOF on the first ballot. Some of you who offer opinions,who were`nt even alive when he pitched, I highly resent.
    rkoch, with all respect to you and your many decades of following baseball, I too saw Bob Gibson over the entire span of his career. I'm not as old as you, but I'm in my mid-60s. Saw Musial, Schoendienst, Flood, Boyer, and many other Cardinals from the 50s and 60s. I agree that Gibson was a great athlete and a great pitcher. And, I stand by my earlier contention that he would basically do anything to win, including throwing at batters. For the record, Duke Snider was MY favorite player. Snider homered off of Gibson, and the next time up Gibson drilled him in the elbow on the first pitch. Broke his elbow, Snider was out nearly 2 months. Gibson kept on pitching. Does that make Bob Gibson the devil? No. He wasn't alone in his approach to the game, but I feel strongly that his behavior and the behavior of those like him pushed the envelope of competition beyond reasonable bounds. That's my opinion. I'm entitled to it, as you are to yours.

Congratulations on your many years of following baseball- I hope I'm doing the same when I'm your age.
    Last edited by BigRon; 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I remember the 60s specifically

While Gibson and his record stand for himself, the truth is he was considered (rightly or wrongly) a notch below Koufax and half a notch below Marichal

Even in his glorious 1968 year, there was a Sports Illustrated article (summer 1968) on the dearth of hitting in 1968 baseball and reasons and solutions explored, a ton of pitchers were named in the article including the young NY Mets staff, Gibson was not mentioned in the article.

Gibson benefitted from the move to the new stadium in 1966, which just about coincided with the biggest downturn in offensive baseball ever.

A great great pitcher, but during the decade of the 60s, he was never considered the best pitcher let alone the best player, and that is where the prime of his career was

Originally posted by rkoch View Post
      You people,who never saw him pitch. are taking pot shots of my favorite ball player of all time, Bob Gibson. I loved Willie Mays, but all around I think Bob, in my 88 years, was the best ballplayer and athelete I`ve seen in my lifetime. He could do it all, a great fielder of his own position,even though he came off the mound in an akward position but was a great athelete otherwise. He was a good hitter,when occasion demanded it and a great player defensively, I remember one season, when he broke his leg[I`m sure some of you statisics freaks can fill in the date], I attended a game in San Francisco,with my sons, and we allways attende batting practice, where he was hobbleing around third base instructing Ed Spiezo[Scotts father] helping to field ground balls. I don`t think he was a head hunter. He would throw inside, which was done at the time, but I think he was not a head hunter. He was one of the greatest players of all time,as evidenced by his election to the HOF on the first ballot. Some of you who offer opinions,who were`nt even alive when he pitched, I highly resent.
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

First of all, I was alive when Bob Gibson was pitching. I was 1 year old in 1975!

Also, you're 88 and posting on the internet? Props to you.
        Originally posted by Cougar
        "Read at your own risk. Baseball Fever shall not be responsible if you become clinically insane trying to make sense of this post. People under 18 must read in the presence of a parent, guardian, licensed professional, or Dr. Phil."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X