Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most memorable final out of a World Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most memorable final out of a World Series?

What do you think is the most memorable final out of a World Series?

My pick:

New York vs New York, the bitter rivals.

The Mets best hitter vs The Yankees best pitcher.

Home run would tie it.

Off the bat, the ball looked like it would go out.

Then it sinks into Bernie's glove at the deepest part of the ball-park.

Mets fans cry; Yankee fans celebrate.

Best one?

First thought, without "thinkig" too much:

McCovey's scorching line drive caught by Bobby Richardson, game 7, 1962.

Then, maybe

Babe Ruth's caught stealing to end the 1926 Series.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post

Then, maybe

Exactly the two that popped into my head when I saw the thread title, then I opened the thread and you already posted them.

So, never mind.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

All good ones so far. My personal favorite is Adam Wainright's K of Inge in 2006. I was in the left field bleachers with my son.
        Last edited by StanTheMan; 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM.
        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Tug McGraw is the one I remember because it was the first World Series i can remember.

1980 WS

Its strange but I dont even remember the last out in 2005. I know Konerko got the putout.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Then, maybe

Even though being a big fan of the Babe, no defense for this one, bad, bad play.
            Some words on that attempted steal, his thinking.
            Alexander came in relief and retired 5 batters before he pitched to Babe and walked him.

None of the 5 Alexe faced got the ball out of the infield. Babe's thinking, not much could be done with Alex, he was on his game. The most we might get is a single, I had to get into scoring position. Roger's Hornsby who made the tag said he could understand Babe's thinking..

Also some ask why attempt to steal with Lou Gehrig batting next. Actually Lou batted 5th, Bob Meusel followed Babe.
            His thinking did make some sense but in the end, the bottom line, he didn't make it, that makes it a bad play and one of the most memorable last outs in WS play.
            Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

McCovey's scorching line drive caught by Bobby Richardson, game 7, 1962.Then, maybe

Being a Yankee fan I can say that was the scariest last out I can recall. McCovey was one of the scariest batter to face and when he hit that bullet for one second I thought......oh no.

Comment

Jesse Orosco throwing his glove up into the night air.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                  Its strange but I dont even remember the last out in 2005. I know Konerko got the putout.
                  2005 had a pretty good one, actually. The Astros had the tying run on second, and Orlando Palmeiro hit a grounder up the middle. Ozzie Guillen said when he first saw it he thought the game was headed to extra innings. Juan Uribe was able to field it and throw out Palmeiro by an inch, however, and the Sox had their title.
                  Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Obviously the one's I find most memorable were when my team recorded that last out! I couldn't really tell you how any of the others ended, just who won. So I'd have to say Sutter striking out Stormin' Gorman Thomas to end it all in '82. Wainwright and Motte are a very close second and third!
                    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                      All good ones so far. My personal favorite is Adam Wainright's K of Inge in 2006. I was in the left field bleachers with my son.
                      I was in Times Square, watching it on the Jumbotron... and it looked something like this:

(Photo taken October 27, 2006. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Then, maybe

LOL. The first one I thought of was the 1962 WS. Most exciting half inning in WS play. The Babe being thrown out trying to steal 2nd was the next in line.

I always thought that was a bone headed attempt by the Babe until I read his reasoning. It made sense that he was trying to get in position to score, figuring the Cards would ignore him. He figured the Yanks would need 2 hits to score him and didn't think they could do so against Alexander...so he decided to steal 2nd. Oh, well.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                          Being a Yankee fan I can say that was the scariest last out I can recall. McCovey was one of the scariest batter to face and when he hit that bullet for one second I thought......oh no.
                          That ball was hit so hard that the NBC camera (one) didn't even catch up to it until it was in Bobby Richardson's glove. Bobby said it was the hardest hit ball he ever caught. He said if he hadn't caught it, it would have knocked him down. Bobby was actually playing McCovey a little less to pull it because he knew Ralph Terry was trying to keep the pitches outside.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

Originally posted by yanks0714 View Post
                            That ball was hit so hard that the NBC camera (one) didn't even catch up to it until it was in Bobby Richardson's glove. Bobby said it was the hardest hit ball he ever caught. He said if he hadn't caught it, it would have knocked him down. Bobby was actually playing McCovey a little less to pull it because he knew Ralph Terry was trying to keep the pitches outside.
                            Wonder what went though Raph Terry's mind when he saw that white blur go by him, with Alou on third and Willie on second base...................not again. Memory of the 1960 WS.......Maz.

Comment

Memorable in a historic sense... groundout to Brooks Robinson in 1970.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X