Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negro League STATS!!!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/nlb/
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Pretty nice looking triple-slash for Josh Gibson (.350/.401/.624), though it's not very meaningful without some context like ballpark size, competition, etc..
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I was gonna post this also but decided against it. As neat as it is, the stats aren't very indicative.
      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Judy Johnson: .293/.320/.390
        My dream ballpark dimensions
        LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
        RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
        Location....San Diego

Comment

Why is Buck O'Neil's handedness a mystery? :ooo:

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
            If that's any indication, I wouldn't put much stock in these stats, unfortunately.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Perhaps Negro League "STATS" would have been a better title for this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                If that's any indication, I wouldn't put much stock in these stats, unfortunately.
                LOL I mean Buck was around the baseball community forever and was one of the nicest and most approachable guys in the sport; couldn't they just have asked him?

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                  I give credit for putting forth the effort to come up with some meaningful stats and with some accuracy. The problem is, it will never happen simply because there were never complete stats compiled at the time. How do we retrieve stats that were not recorded at that time. I often visit news archives at Proquest and some of the black newspapers did not fully cover games. At times there is a text of the game recap but no box scores to show at bats, hits or other stats.

Really a shame but thats the fact. I will for sure take a look at what was found.

Comment

LOL I mean Buck was around the baseball community forever and was one of the nicest and most approachable guys in the sport; couldn't they just have asked him?
                    I really miss this guy, just to listen to his memories of the game, such a pleasure.

Comment

I can't verify this but over the years almost sure I did see in print that Buck threw and batted right handed. One article was in a book covering the Mexican League the other Negro Leagues baseball. I am sure some one on the board can come up with his batting and throwing side.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                        Pretty nice looking triple-slash for Josh Gibson (.350/.401/.624), though it's not very meaningful without some context like ballpark size, competition, etc..
                        Turkey Stearnes looks pretty nice, too. A tiny man compared to Josh, but he could hit the ball a mile and run like the wind.
                        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                          I really miss this guy, just to listen to his memories of the game, such a pleasure.
                          Yeah I really enjoyed his interviews in Ken Burns' Baseball documentary. I also used to like the unplanned interviews he would get while being a spectator at the Royals' games.

Comment

Got to say one thing about Buck and all those black players, these guys really loved the game. Getting very little recognition, not a money maker, poor training facilities, poor travel conditions and finding suitable lodging, forget it.

Yet they keep taking the field. I suspect there had to be some bitterness but it was never evident when Buck spoke.

He could have and would have been justified for speaking about the injustice he and other blacks faced but it seemed all he wanted to talk about was the game.

Comment

I love how they have ? marks after some players names.
                              Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X