BB - 597------------674
    SO - 1308----------1614
    BA - .274-----------.267
    OBP - .338---------.343
    SLG - .488---------.487
    OPS - .826---------.830
    OPS+ - 111---------115
    TB - 3167-----------3042

I was surprised to see how similar these two were. I think we would all agree that Dye was the more highly regarded player during their careers.
    Dye
    25.00%
    Sanders
    75.00%
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

I'd go with Sanders. He did play CF when he came up, IIRC. What I don't recall is if he did it particularly well. Sanders also when he first came up did have some, hype is too strong, favorable optomism though he was overhsdowed by how Eric Davis came on just a few years earlier. Like Davis Sanders career was less than it was hoped because of injuries. I voted for Sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
      I'd go with Sanders. He did play CF when he came up, IIRC. What I don't recall is if he did it particularly well. Sanders also when he first came up did have some, hype is too strong, favorable optomism though he was overhsdowed by how Eric Davis came on just a few years earlier. Like Davis Sanders career was less than it was hoped because of injuries. I voted for Sanders.
      I think maybe Sanders self imposed journeyman image may make him seem like a less valued commodity. I'm not old enough to remember Sanders coming up but I do remember Dye coming up. I would have to vote for Sanders too. Even if he didn't play CF particularly well Dye had to DH a lot and Sanders was the more dynamic offensive player.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Sanders was an electric player when he came up, the comparison to Eric Davis works on many levels.
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X