Players Overshadowed by Steroid Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    AROD, he or any other is no different, not any better. Sammy's name is on the list but he still denies using. Only reason for not receiving a penalty, substance used was not banned at the time.
    Also not giving AROD a free pass at least he doesn't come up with the phony excuse like so many others............must be a false reading or the old Barry Bonds Gary Sheffield BS line.....I was unaware of what I was using.

Sammy was a very good ballplayer, he made a mistake, Just like two great ballplayer, Bonds and Clemens, they tarnished their reputation, put some of their numbers in doubt.
    That's fair enough.

A-Rod did deny use for a long time though, until it became obvious the net was closing in on him, with a reporter investigating his use all the way back to high school. A-Rod may have been the very first star player to have used all the way through his high school, minor league and pro career.

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    Speaking of Sosa, talk about a player overshadowed by another juicer(s)! How can you hit over 60 dongs in three season and not lead the league in any of those seasons!
    True, and probably how much of the era played out. Users overshadowed other users, whether through better talent or better use.

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Once again apathy toward steroids is equal to condoning it.

You will not have a job in this business unless you continually put these substances into your body. Illegally acquired drugs, with needles acquired from who?, administered by a teammate in a bathroom stall. Sounds great. Sounds like something everyone should want to do.

If the players do not think it inherently wrong or dangerous then why is/was it not done in the open? Why was/is it hush, hush? The players come out and apologize! This is not complete admission of guilt? Of wrong doing? Of immoral, non-condoned activity?
    Of course the players knew it wasn't above board. There's the legal issues, and they'd have been aware of the story it would have been had evidence of use been uncovered by the media. If you recall back to 1988, Canseco was questioned about possible steroid use, it was a big story at one point during his 40/40 season and lingered into the World Series. The focus was probably greater being the same summer of Ben Johnson's world record 100m and positive test for Winstrol, and the fact that Canseco did things no other player had before.

For me, it's less of a moral issue than it is for others. I agree with you on the feeling that a player had to juice to keep up, stay in the league or excel. A player shouldn't feel compelled to use, but I'm sure it happened. If I was in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe33 View Post
      That's fair enough.

A-Rod did deny use for a long time though, until it became obvious the net was closing in on him, with a reporter investigating his use all the way back to high school. A-Rod may have been the very first star player to have used all the way through his high school, minor league and pro career.

True, and probably how much of the era played out. Users overshadowed other users, whether through better talent or better use.

Of course the players knew it wasn't above board. There's the legal issues, and they'd have been aware of the story it would have been had evidence of use been uncovered by the media. If you recall back to 1988, Canseco was questioned about possible steroid use, it was a big story at one point during his 40/40 season and lingered into the World Series. The focus was probably greater being the same summer of Ben Johnson's world record 100m and positive test for Winstrol, and the fact that Canseco did things no other player had before.

For me, it's less of a moral issue than it is for others. I agree with you on the feeling that a player had to juice to keep up, stay in the league or excel. A player shouldn't feel compelled to use, but I'm sure it happened. If I was in that position.
      Not sure how long arod may or may not have used, but I'm pretty sure Canseco admitted to using since the minor leagues, no?

Regardless, any player could have cheated longer than we think. Nobody truly knows when anyone (Bonds, Clemens, Arod, Manny, Sosa, etc) truly started using, it will always be guess work.

Comment

Originally posted by fenrir View Post
        Not sure how long arod may or may not have used, but I'm pretty sure Canseco admitted to using since the minor leagues, no?

Regardless, any player could have cheated longer than we think. Nobody truly knows when anyone (Bonds, Clemens, Arod, Manny, Sosa, etc) truly started using, it will always be guess work.
        Yeah, Canseco started using in high A ball if I remember correctly. It was either there or AA.

I agree completely. Trying to pinpoint when someone started is impossible without solid evidence, which simply doesn't exist. I find also find it hard to believe high school and college athletes were using in the 60s-80s and baseball was all but completely clean.

Comment

Roger Clemens has just been acquitted of all charges. Good, now leave him alone.

Comment

Originally posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
            Roger Clemens has just been acquitted of all charges. Good, now leave him alone.
            Court of public opinion is different than the court of law sir.

Comment

Speaking of Sosa, talk about a player overshadowed by another juicer(s)! How can you hit over 60 dongs in three season and not lead the league in any of those seasons!
              That's why we call it "The Steroid Era". None of the numbers can be trusted.
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
                If that includes him never fumbling through a speech on a largely empty stage in Cooperstown, you've got a deal.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

You cannot always go by the eye test

As one would think Frank Thomas would be #1 steroid user, yet was ardent about testing and sai he'd be 1st in line because as a clean player he was being overshadowed by cheats

Comment

Originally posted by fenrir View Post
                    Court of public opinion is different than the court of law sir.
                    And thank goodness the Hall of Fame does not need "beyond a reasonable doubt" as it is NOT a court of law, nor should it be held to the same standards. In addition, the implied answer on a ballot is a NO, which must be changed to a YES by the voter, who is allowed to have a lower threshold of doubt required to come to a conclusion than a jury member is instructed, no - REQUIRED, to use when listening to testimony and lawyers.

Innocent until proven guilty becomes.... NOT enshrined until the voter CHOOSES to vote yes.
                    Last edited by StanTheMan; 06-19-2012, 05:18 PM.
                    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Easy.

The other guy benefitted from his illegal drugs slightly more than Sammy.
                      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X