• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    1950s:

NL: Robin Roberts and Smokey Burgess

AL: Billy Pierce and Sherm Lollar
    Last edited by westsidegrounds; 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3and2Fastball
    replied
    I would say Satchell Paige & Josh Gibson would be pretty much the greatest battery of all-time and I'm not quite sure how anyone else could come close

Leave a comment:

• Imapotato
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    The 1920s are a tough choice.

How about catcher Muddy Ruel and an older Walter Johnson?

The A's came up with Cochrane and Grove at the same time, but in 1925.

But what run!
    1920's Sunday Teddy Lyons (the forgotten one) and Ray Schalk (the misunderstood)

Leave a comment:

• hwmongoose
    replied
    Steve Carlton and Bob Boone, 1970s

Leave a comment:

• leewileyfan
    replied
    I saw Hayes catch, several times, both with the A's and the Indians. I am not knocking Hayes; but in the years he played, he was overshadowed in a bumper crop of catchers [1930s and '40s], many noted for defensive skills.

Feller broke in with Franjie Pytlak as a battery-mate, a very skilled catcher [and very much under-remembered, in hindsight]; and Hemsley came a season or two later. Over those years, Todd, Lopez, Gus Mancuso, Harry Danning, Hartnett, Shanty Hogan, Dickey were notable; and as the decade + of Hayes' active play, more and more gifted catchers marched on stage: Ray Mueller, Tebbetts, Rosar, Early, Richards, Swift and Hegan.

Heck, a separate chapter in baseball lore could be written on any of these, which is why Frank Hayes was hard to comprehend as a top-notch battery mate. Of all the Cleveland catchers, Jim Hegan was a defensive standout and largely credited with Cleveland pitching successes for over a decade. Hegan, great in keeping base runners honest, was famous for picking runners off base. I was lucky enough to have witnessed one "rope" from behind the plate to second base - catching a much surprised runner who had taken too generous a lead.

That's why I named Hegan, first [in the battery] - putting Feller alongside [although any of several Tribe pitchers could have completed the duo]. My favorite at the time was Feller.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    Originally posted by leewileyfan View Post
    As I recall, Feller sang the praises of Frank Hayes. I never got my head around that.

Fact is, I wanted to list Hegan with somebody.
    Frank Hayes was a good catcher in his day. He was actually only with the Indians for a short time. He was the catcher when Feller threw his no-hitter against the Yankees in 1946.

Leave a comment:

• leewileyfan
    replied
    As I recall, Feller sang the praises of Frank Hayes. I never got my head around that.

Fact is, I wanted to list Hegan with somebody.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    Originally posted by leewileyfan View Post
    Hegan and Feller
    I think Hegan and Lemon was probably better. Feller's best battery mate was probably Rollie Hemsley.

Leave a comment:

• CTaka
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    In the 1900s, I thought of Roger Bresnahan and Christy Mathewson.

Roger came in out of the outfield to catch, just as Mathewson his his stride as a pitcher.
    Bresnahan and Mathewson was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread title, partly because the first line on Bresnahan's hall of fame plaque states "battery mate of Christy Mathewson". So when I think of a "famous battery", Bresnahan and Mathewson comes to mind. I've always wondered why they chose to put that as the first line on his plaque - was it because the greater value placed on the battery in the early 1900's made such a statement an honor? Or is it a back-handed compliment because they couldn't think of anything complimentary to say about Bresnahan so they mentioned Matty?

Maybe Johnny Roseboro should be in the hall since his plaque could read "battery mate of Sandy Koufax AND Don Drysdale"?

Leave a comment:

• leewileyfan
    replied
    Going back only as far as 1901 and allowing for decad overlaps:

Kling and Brown
    Killefer and Alexander
    Cochrane and Grove
    Dickey and Gomez [Ruffing]
    Hartnett and Warneke
    the Brothers Cooper, Walker and Mort
    Hegan and Feller
    Campanella and Newcombe
    Roseboro and Koufax
    Grote and Seaver
    Boone and Carlton
    Javvy Lopez and Maddux
    Yadier Molina + Whoever is on the mound

Leave a comment:

• JessePopHaines16
    replied
    The Cooper brothers for the Cardinals in the 1940s. Carpenter and Molina from 2005-2011. Christy Mathewson and
    Roger Bresnahan in the early to late 1900s. How about an aging Nolan Ryan and an up and coming Ivan Rodriguez in the early 90s with the Rangers?

Leave a comment:

• Gee Walker
    replied
    Newcombe and Campanella are a good matchup to Ford and Berra for the 1950's.

Bucky Walters and Ernie Lombardi were great in the late 30's, early 40's, but not there for long enough in either decade.

Red Ruffing and Bill Dickey for the 1930's - they couldn't match Grove and Cochrane when they were together, but they actually did hang in there for the entire decade.

Leave a comment:

• Allie Fox
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I would say Maddux and Javy Lopez for the 90s, but I think Maddux usually used a personal catcher.
    Eddie Perez was Maddux' personal catcher while he was a Brave.

It's hard to determine greatness on both ends without one reatly outweighing the othr.

Leave a comment:

• redban
    replied
    Mike Piazza and Al Leiter from 1998-2004 is another good one.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Well, there was Jamie Moyer and Dan Wilson.
    I'd pick Johnson and Wilson before Moyer and Wilson.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X