No announcement yet.

Things you miss about the old days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players playing for the sheer joy of it rather than playing to compete for bigger contracts.
    "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
    -Satchel Paige

Comment

Skip Caray and stirrups are about all I can agree with so far.

I've never understood this mania for a quick, quick, quick complete game. Part of the reason that I like this game above all other is it's leisurely pace.

Obviously Youkilis and his ilk have taken that to insane extremes but a ball game should last somewhere around three hours and unfold and it's natural speed.
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
        Players playing for the sheer joy of it rather than playing to compete for bigger contracts.

99% of players play for both the love and money....which there's absolutely nothing wrong with.
        "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
          Skip Caray and stirrups are about all I can agree with so far.

I've never understood this mania for a quick, quick, quick complete game. Part of the reason that I like this game above all other is it's leisurely pace.

Obviously Youkilis and his ilk have taken that to insane extremes but a ball game should last somewhere around three hours and unfold and it's natural speed.
          I recently read a book about game 6 of the 1975 World Series. After reading it I watched the Series again and think that the pace of those games both leisurely and quick. It was a perfect mix. The pace of the game today approaches being comatose. I think the game was at its best when 9 innings took about 2:20 to play. I think 3 hours is too long for 9 innings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pibb View Post
            Simple TV broadcasts...without all the replays from every angle, annoying graphics, endless stats, and over-analysis by the announcers.

Back in my "old days" (the 1970s), you didn't need all that stuff to enjoy the game.
            Absolutely! My God, do they talk too much, on Fox and ESPN especially.

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
              99% of players play for both the love and money....which there's absolutely nothing wrong with.
              There's nothing wrong with making a lot of money. But if you truly love what you're doing and are already making tons of money, yet feel the need to make even more, I can't help but to shake my head at that. These days, lots of players have become like that. Mike Mussina was one of the few who wasn't, which was why he gained a great deal of my respect.
              Last edited by rsuriyop; 05-25-2012, 06:11 PM.
              "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
              -Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
                There's nothing wrong with making a lot of money. But if you truly love what you're doing and are already making tons of money, yet feel the need to make even more, I can't help but to shake my head at that. These days, lots of players have become like that. Mike Mussina was one of the few who wasn't, which was why he gained a great deal of my respect.
                I also think of Kent Hrbek.
                My blog - http://sandlotwisdom.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tag0519 View Post
                  I also think of Kent Hrbek.
                  Paul Konerko turned down more money from other teams to re-sign with the White Sox. Twice.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I miss this kind of World Series TV intro! Keith Jackson, where have you gone? Pedro Guerrero in center field?! Seriously?

`
                    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-26-2012, 01:03 PM.
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

That video made me realize what I miss about the old days...there wasn't so many teams and thus the talent wasn't so spread around. You could actually have a team with six or seven all star type players. Even with their best players Reggie Smith and Reggie Jackon on the bench, these teams still made the world series. Nowadays it seems like even the world champions usually only have a couple of good players on the team.

It also made me realize what a dynasty those Dodgers teams could have been with a little better timing. Smith, Garvey, Cey, Hooten, Lopes and Monday were past their prime when guys like Valenzuela, Guerrero, and Welch were just starting out. if all those guys were in their prime at the same time..watch out!

On a side note: how did Smith put his hat on his head with that huge afro?
                      Last edited by willshad; 05-26-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I miss NBC and I miss how teams would celebrate after winning a big game. (like how the Phillies celebrated in 1980.) They do some sort of bunnyhop in a big circle nowdays, it just looks pretty goofy to me. When the Whitesox won in 05, I was really hoping they wouldn't do that but they did. I'm pretty sure the Cardinals did it last year so it's something that still hasn't gone away.

I guess players nowdays do this bunnyhop celebration because it reduces chance of injury?
                        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Bob Sheppard
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

I miss listening to Bob Prince and Jim Woods- The Gunner and The Possum- the greatest announcing team ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                              I miss the players without tattoos and flat billed caps worn at an angle. These moronic copycats think they're being different and expressing their individuality. Yeah, right! What they're doing is practicing a rigid conformity of nonconformity; trying to be unconventional in a very conventional way. Grow up clowns. You're immersed in a herdlike mentality with elements of thuggism. Count on it, the less within, the more without. Immature children always try to find an identity by drawing attention to themselves, hence, the adornments. This crap is really getting old.
                              Tattoos are something that I would love to see go out of style. It probably won't happen until kids start seeing the ridiculous tatoos on their grandmothers and grandfathers.

Your post reminds me of teenagers who want to express themselves by looking like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                                I totally miss these awesome uniforms!!!!

[ATTACH]108962[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108963[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108964[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108965[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108966[/ATTACH]
                                Those uniforms were terrible.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X