Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you miss about the old days?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    Those uniforms were terrible.
    I like lots of color. I can't stand boring, bland, archaic, colorless uniforms. I first started watching baseball in 1976 this the 1976-85 era is very special to me.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      I like lots of color. I can't stand boring, bland, archaic, colorless uniforms. I first started watching baseball in 1976 this the 1976-85 era is very special to me.
      I started watching baseball in 1972 and didn't like the colorful uniforms of that decade. I like the whites and grays.

      Comment


      • #48
        Question about the old days for those who lived them:

        Did everybody sit around talking about how better things were back in the older days back then too?
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

        1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

        1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


        The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          I like lots of color. I can't stand boring, bland, archaic, colorless uniforms. I first started watching baseball in 1976 this the 1976-85 era is very special to me.
          I do like all of the 70's A's Yellow/Green combo's. I can live without the rest. I also liked the Powder blue/maroon Phillies and the Royals powder blues. Could live without the rest of those too.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

          1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

          1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


          The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
            Question about the old days for those who lived them:

            Did everybody sit around talking about how better things were back in the older days back then too?
            I think the first words ever written were a complaint about how things were better back before writing was developed.

            Seriously, you see this all throughout history, and I think it's just human nature to look back at aspects of one's youth and early adulthood through rose-colored glasses. Although there are a lot of things I look back on with the realization that it was good that I didn't understand just how bad they were at the time.
            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
              Question about the old days for those who lived them:

              Did everybody sit around talking about how better things were back in the older days back then too?
              Of course! It's a long standing baseball tradition to lament about how the game was better "back then". Many here extol the 1950's as some golden age of baseball but there are lots of quotes from the old stars like Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornsby where they trashed the baseball of the 1950's and how weak it was compared to their own era.I'm sure in 2050 people will be complaining how the game is not as good as the early 2000's. You can count on that.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

              Comment


              • #52
                In my opinion baseball is one of the few aspects of American life that was better in the past. I'll take the present over the past in most things.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
                  Players playing for the sheer joy of it rather than playing to compete for bigger contracts.
                  I don't mean to be the designated ass of this thread, but players have always played for the better money. League regulations and oppressive management kept them down, not a naive boyhood feeling of playing just to play.
                  "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                    Of course! It's a long standing baseball tradition to lament about how the game was better "back then". Many here extol the 1950's as some golden age of baseball but there are lots of quotes from the old stars like Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornsby where they trashed the baseball of the 1950's and how weak it was compared to their own era.I'm sure in 2050 people will be complaining how the game is not as good as the early 2000's. You can count on that.
                    Man. 1871 must have rocked!
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Anyone who thinks the old days were better needs to watch "Midnight in Paris."

                      People will always find crap to complain about. They will then proceed to say "the old days were better."

                      Good commercial on the other day for wireless receivers. It has a 12 year old kid complaining to his little brother. "In my day, we had to plug the cable box into the tv."
                      AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                      AL Pennant: 1982
                      NL Central Champions: 2011
                      NL Wild Card: 2008

                      "It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                        In my opinion baseball is one of the few aspects of American life that was better in the past. I'll take the present over the past in most things.
                        Agreed. Just about all sports were better in the past. Maybe because there were less teams. On the other hand, it's much better to watch sports on a large screen HD than a 20" B&W tv or one of the early color models.

                        One thing for ceratin, going to sports events was much more affordable in the past. Tickets and especially concessions. Used to be you could buy 2 beers for about the price of a 6 pack. Now 2 beers sets you back the price of a case or even a 30 ball at a reasonable retail outlet.
                        It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by 64Cards View Post
                          Agreed. Just about all sports were better in the past. Maybe because there were less teams. On the other hand, it's much better to watch sports on a large screen HD than a 20" B&W tv or one of the early color models.

                          One thing for ceratin, going to sports events was much more affordable in the past. Tickets and especially concessions. Used to be you could buy 2 beers for about the price of a 6 pack. Now 2 beers sets you back the price of a case or even a 30 ball at a reasonable retail outlet.
                          I think sports in general from kid sports to to the pros were better in the past. I loved playing sports as a kid, but think I would hate it now because of the amount of adult involvement. The only activity I particiated in as a kid that had a high amount of adult involvement was the Cub Scouts, and I found out pretty quick that I didn't like Scouting very much.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by willshad View Post
                            On a side note: how did Smith put his hat on his head with that huge afro?
                            Carefully.

                            Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                            I do like all of the 70's A's Yellow/Green combo's.
                            Those were classic.

                            Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                            Of course! It's a long standing baseball tradition to lament about how the game was better "back then". Many here extol the 1950's as some golden age of baseball but there are lots of quotes from the old stars like Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornsby where they trashed the baseball of the 1950's and how weak it was compared to their own era.
                            Bob Feller spent years banging on about it in that vein.
                            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                              Man. 1871 must have rocked!
                              Everybody at the time was complaining about how town ball was so much better than base ball and that they should have stuck with that.
                              Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                              I think sports in general from kid sports to to the pros were better in the past. I loved playing sports as a kid, but think I would hate it now because of the amount of adult involvement. The only activity I particiated in as a kid that had a high amount of adult involvement was the Cub Scouts, and I found out pretty quick that I didn't like Scouting very much.
                              I suffered through a year of Cub Scouts and hated it because we had a shrieking shrew of a den mother...she came downstairs in her slip to yell at us when we got antsy about her starting our first meeting late, and it went downhill from there. One kid quit after a few months and burned his uniform in his yard because he despised the lady so much.
                              Also had a year of Little League, liked it, and did very well, but had to "retire" because my family couldn't support it at the time (for reasons of time and money). Also had a screaming maniac of a coach there, the guy actually slapped his own kid on the mound during a game. Luckily, we had a vacant lot two blocks away and would spend many long summer days playing all kinds of improvised baseballish games there with no money or parents needed.
                              I suspect that standards are a little higher for parent volunteers these days, people who have behaved like that in activities my daughter has been involved in have generally been removed very quickly.
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                                Paul Konerko turned down more money from other teams to re-sign with the White Sox. Twice.
                                That's admirable. Equally admirable is the grief he must have constantly put up with from the Players Association for not taking the most $$ possible.
                                My blog - http://sandlotwisdom.blogspot.com/

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X