Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you miss about the old days?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Going to a ball game and not having to listen to loud blaring music played between every inning. Don't know about all parks but I do get down to Toronto a couple or few times a year.
    Loud music between every inning and if you happen to be anywhere near speakers, it sucks.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by tag0519 View Post
      That's admirable. Equally admirable is the grief he must have constantly put up with from the Players Association for not taking the most $$ possible.
      Players Union should stay out of situations like this. Spare me the old union line, taking less will be harmful to others in the future.
      Unions are good but not always good or correct.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
        Going to a ball game and not having to listen to loud blaring music played between every inning. Don't know about all parks but I do get down to Toronto a couple or few times a year.
        Loud music between every inning and if you happen to be anywhere near speakers, it sucks.
        This is a good one, even at Fenway the music can get really annoying. I was never fond of the organ tootling when I was a kid, but at least it wasn't at 110dB.
        I do have to admit that I don't mind the high volume for "Shipping Up To Boston" and "Ready To Go", I wish they'd just crank it for those two.
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
          Going to a ball game and not having to listen to loud blaring music played between every inning. Don't know about all parks but I do get down to Toronto a couple or few times a year.
          Loud music between every inning and if you happen to be anywhere near speakers, it sucks.
          I didn't really care about music between innings at Cleveland Stadium. I really don't like the loud music played during the innings now. The walk up songs are annoying and, in my opinion, help slow the game down. It would also be all right with me if I never heard 'We Will Rock You', 'Hit the Road Jack', 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' or 'God Bless America' ever again.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
            I didn't really care about music between innings at Cleveland Stadium. I really don't like the loud music played during the innings now. The walk up songs are annoying and, in my opinion, help slow the game down. It would also be all right with me if I never heard 'We Will Rock You', 'Hit the Road Jack', 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' or 'God Bless America' ever again.
            I couldn't agree more. When I was growing up Ebbets Field had Gladys Goodding, who played before and after the games, and at times, during them (before each half of the seventh inning). The Sym-Phony Band played at times during the game, often to mock umpires or opposing players. There was no music at the Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadium, Shibe Park or Fenway Park as I recall.

            I favor eliminating "The Star-Spangled Banner" except for rare occasions, and I still can't abide the cavalry charge music or signs asking the audience to make more noise in some way, whether they want to or not.

            A William Carlos Williams poem begins with the phrase: "The crowd at a baseball game is delighted by its sense of uselessness". I wish it were still the case.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post

              I favor eliminating "The Star-Spangled Banner" except for rare occasions,
              .
              I'm in favor of this also. I've never understood the connection between that song and a sporting event.

              Comment


              • #67
                The good old days are/were generally when you were between 10-14, before life started getting complicated. So you all have inherent bias depending on your age. Considering all that;
                1. Overlapping decks. Egalitarianism. The first row in the upper deck was the best seat in the house, notwithstanding that you probably only paid $3 for it. This coliseum style seating with breaks that the new stadiums have sucks. If you are in the upper deck you are in a different zip code. That's ok if you are there to hunt down chicks but not if you want to watch the game.
                2. The DH. I love watching a pitcher attempt to bat, it proves how difficult the game really is and gives it a human touch.
                3. Why do we have teams in Florida, Texas and Arizona. It's so goddamn hot in Florida no wonder no one goes to the games. Houston, the mosquitoes are as big as the baseballs. Phoenix, those retired people would be better off playing shuffleboard or lawn bowling.
                4. Inter league play. I thought that was what the World Series was for. If i want to watch Minnesota versus Pittsburgh I can go watch spring training.
                Having said all that I have to admit attendance now is about 3 times what it was in the so called golden days. That is a topic for another time.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                  In my opinion baseball is one of the few aspects of American life that was better in the past.
                  What about the changes in the game makes you feel this way?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                    What about the changes in the game makes you feel this way?
                    Games take too long.
                    Carnival atmospehere at the ballpark.
                    Games are a lot more expensive.
                    I'm not a big fan of modern athletes
                    Too many teams in the post-season.
                    Post-season is too long.

                    Probably the biggest reason is the glacial pace of todays game.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                      not making three pitching changes in one inning for platoon advantage while trailing in a game
                      The ridiculous, over the top, anti-climatic charade they call "relief pitching" charade is THE worst thing that happened to baseball (on the field) over the past 30 years.

                      It's a far less menacing new development, however, than being forced into a fruitless and totally aggravating "steroids palaver" during basically EVERY baseball related discussion these days. We don't know who is for real and what's valid anymore. Who can you root for as clean and authentic? Nobody knows, everyone hopes their favorite player is, but they have to hope that day never comes that the guy you're pulling for becomes the latest Bonds, Palmeiro, A Rod, Braun. That aspect of this debacle really, really sucks for people that are emotionally invested in their team's stars, and guys around the league they admire.

                      Even with the substances that have been studied, the effects don't even consistent. Nobody demonstrates that they really know what the hell they're talking about when we discuss these things, and this is a group of people who can look up and research almost everything, and always has been since I got here. The truth isn't even available to hardly anyone.

                      The whole topic is a black hole.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                        Question about the old days for those who lived them:

                        Did everybody sit around talking about how better things were back in the older days back then too?
                        Watch the movie "Midnight In Paris". It's a beautiful response. In fact, your question was genesis for the entire film.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                          ...It's a far less menacing new development, however, than being forced into a fruitless and totally aggravating "steroids palaver" during basically EVERY baseball related discussion these days. We don't know who is for real and what's valid anymore. Who can you root for as clean and authentic? Nobody knows, everyone hopes their favorite player is, but they have to hope that day never comes that the guy you're pulling for becomes the latest Bonds, Palmeiro, A Rod, Braun. That aspect of this debacle really, really sucks for people that are emotionally invested in their team's stars, and guys around the league they admire.

                          Even with the substances that have been studied, the effects don't even consistent. Nobody demonstrates that they really know what the hell they're talking about when we discuss these things, and this is a group of people who can look up and research almost everything, and always has been since I got here. The truth isn't even available to hardly anyone.

                          The whole topic is a black hole.
                          I've posted this same sentiment a few times myself, this to me is the worst aspect of the "steroid era". You don't know who's on the level and who's a sham. Ryan Braun was one of my favorite players, until he got caught juicing. Or did he? We still don't know for sure, and probably never will.

                          Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                          Watch the movie "Midnight In Paris". It's a beautiful response. In fact, your question was genesis for the entire film.
                          I'm not a fan of Woody Allen movies, but I'm a big fan of Paris, and I hear it's beautifully represented in this film. I'll have to check it out. As to the premise of romanticizing the "good old days", when everything was better than it is now, that's human nature. I think it's pretty much universal.

                          Know what I miss most about the old days? Being younger.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            In my lifetime interleague play. I was 9. It confused me greatly. I was beginning to learn/follow all the teams, league structure and not just the Phillies. I didn't know what the ramifications would be to my newfound knowledge.

                            Then when I got into the history of the game at 12-13 I really hated it.
                            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                              In my lifetime interleague play. I was 9. It confused me greatly. I was beginning to learn/follow all the teams, league structure and not just the Phillies. I didn't know what the ramifications would be to my newfound knowledge.

                              Then when I got into the history of the game at 12-13 I really hated it.
                              If you think interleague play is bad for the game of baseball (and it IS), hold on to your had, brother.......we ain't seen NOTHING yet.....

                              New, very disturbing schedule changes, league changes and restructuring for 2013

                              Why don't we just dissolve the leagues entirely!!!??
                              This massive change divests teams and leagues of all their identity even further, dissipate or entirely dissolve the rivalries (which have been continually decimated with each wave of expansion and each subsequent (totally superfluous) playoff rounds added....solely out of greed, I might add, to generate revenue.

                              This new schedule and format makes baseball-de facto- just like hockey or basketball. It eviscerates team AND player rivalries, and poses a logistical NIGHTMARE, especially because of the DH issue.

                              Verducci's key points:
                              Major League Baseball has expanded its pool of postseason teams to 10 -- up from four just 19 years ago -- and next year will re-align into 15-team leagues that make for at least one interleague series all season long. But the biggest change of all may be around the next corner: the end of baseball as it was originally designed.

                              "Think of the 2013 realignment, in which Houston moves from the NL Central to the AL West to create uniformity of five teams in each division, as a transitional step for baseball. It further weakens the identity of leagues and the resistance to change on the basis of tradition. Geographical realignment is the next step that may prove too tempting for owners and players to resist. It builds on regional rivalries, reduces travel costs, allows more games to be telecast locally in prime time, and breaks down close enough to pool teams with similar revenues."

                              "The players association pushed hard for the 2013 change."

                              "Also, don't underestimate the power the players' union quietly has been accumulating in how baseball is played, run and administered. It effectively gave up nothing in the last CBA. It gladly signed off on limits to the amateur draft and international market, knowing better than the owners did that clubs will spend more on the free agent market with the amateur market constrained. It agreed to the theater of HGH testing -- one announced test in spring training; nothing thereafter -- and forestalled in-season testing because the issue of taking blood for the test needs "further study," even though hundreds of minor league players who have been tested in-season offer a ready-made control group."

                              "I do fear that the identity of the leagues has weakened and that everyday interleague play will further erode such tradition. Throw in the economic impact, the union, a new commissioner, a fan base less inclined to value tradition in most any discipline, and you begin to understand how it's possible that 10 years from now baseball could look even more different than it does today."

                              "I do fear that the identity of the leagues has weakened and that everyday interleague play will further erode such tradition. Throw in the economic impact, the union, a new commissioner, a fan base less inclined to value tradition in most any discipline, and you begin to understand how it's possible that 10 years from now baseball could look even more different than it does today."


                              Even in this incredibly pro-employer economy we've been in since 2008, the MLBPA somehow managed to get MLB on its knees during this last collective bargaining agreement. And all of us will lose out, as fans- and tremendously, in the long run, at that!!!! because the players bitched and whined enough that the powers that be capitulated to their every whim.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                                If you think interleague play is bad for the game of baseball (and it IS), hold on to your had, brother.......we ain't seen NOTHING yet.....

                                New, very disturbing schedule changes, league changes and restructuring for 2013

                                Why don't we just dissolve the leagues entirely!!!??
                                This massive change divests teams and leagues of all their identity even further, dissipate or entirely dissolve the rivalries (which have been continually decimated with each wave of expansion and each subsequent (totally superfluous) playoff rounds added....solely out of greed, I might add, to generate revenue.

                                This new schedule and format makes baseball-de facto- just like hockey or basketball. It eviscerates team AND player rivalries, and poses a logistical NIGHTMARE, especially because of the DH issue.

                                Verducci's key points:
                                Major League Baseball has expanded its pool of postseason teams to 10 -- up from four just 19 years ago -- and next year will re-align into 15-team leagues that make for at least one interleague series all season long. But the biggest change of all may be around the next corner: the end of baseball as it was originally designed.

                                "Think of the 2013 realignment, in which Houston moves from the NL Central to the AL West to create uniformity of five teams in each division, as a transitional step for baseball. It further weakens the identity of leagues and the resistance to change on the basis of tradition. Geographical realignment is the next step that may prove too tempting for owners and players to resist. It builds on regional rivalries, reduces travel costs, allows more games to be telecast locally in prime time, and breaks down close enough to pool teams with similar revenues."

                                "The players association pushed hard for the 2013 change."

                                "Also, don't underestimate the power the players' union quietly has been accumulating in how baseball is played, run and administered. It effectively gave up nothing in the last CBA. It gladly signed off on limits to the amateur draft and international market, knowing better than the owners did that clubs will spend more on the free agent market with the amateur market constrained. It agreed to the theater of HGH testing -- one announced test in spring training; nothing thereafter -- and forestalled in-season testing because the issue of taking blood for the test needs "further study," even though hundreds of minor league players who have been tested in-season offer a ready-made control group."

                                "I do fear that the identity of the leagues has weakened and that everyday interleague play will further erode such tradition. Throw in the economic impact, the union, a new commissioner, a fan base less inclined to value tradition in most any discipline, and you begin to understand how it's possible that 10 years from now baseball could look even more different than it does today."

                                "I do fear that the identity of the leagues has weakened and that everyday interleague play will further erode such tradition. Throw in the economic impact, the union, a new commissioner, a fan base less inclined to value tradition in most any discipline, and you begin to understand how it's possible that 10 years from now baseball could look even more different than it does today."


                                Even in this incredibly pro-employer economy we've been in since 2008, the MLBPA somehow managed to get MLB on its knees during this last collective bargaining agreement. And all of us will lose out, as fans- and tremendously, in the long run, at that!!!! because the players bitched and whined enough that the powers that be capitulated to their every whim.
                                MLB's new slogan: Cultivating a culture of redundancy since 1992.
                                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X