Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you miss about the old days?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    The GW-RBI

    Comment


    • #77
      No steroids or P.E.D.s.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by dgarza View Post
        The GW-RBI
        Lol yeah that was a pretty big stat for players in the mid 80's. I'm surprised they didn't use that stat on Topps baseball cards during that time.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          Lol yeah that was a pretty big stat for players in the mid 80's. I'm surprised they didn't use that stat on Topps baseball cards during that time.
          That stat appeared on baseball cards from that era.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
            No steroids or P.E.D.s.
            When did you start watching baseball?
            My top 10 players:

            1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

            Comment


            • #81
              I miss just watching baseball and knowing who is a good player and who is just above average. Steve Garvey starts the all-star game for about a decade, wins gold gloves, an MVP, 2 NLCS MVPs, bats in a ton of runs, sets the league consecutive games record, and gets about 200 hits a year; we think he's a good player. We think that Darrell Evans, who I watched a lot as a Giants fan, is a pretty non descript player. He has power, he can walk, and plays a lot of positions (maybe because he's not great fielder). He think of him as an above average player at best.

              Now we realize how stupid we were. With our new enlightenment and in depth analysis, we know that Garvey was a pathetic out making machine, who shouldn't have been in the majors; and Evans with his brilliant line of.248/.361/.431, is a hall of famer.
              This week's Giant

              #5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                I miss just watching baseball and knowing who is a good player and who is just above average. Steve Garvey starts the all-star game for about a decade, wins gold gloves, an MVP, 2 NLCS MVPs, bats in a ton of runs, sets the league consecutive games record, and gets about 200 hits a year; we think he's a good player. We think that Darrell Evans, who I watched a lot as a Giants fan, is a pretty non descript player. He has power, he can walk, and plays a lot of positions (maybe because he's not great fielder). He think of him as an above average player at best.

                Now we realize how stupid we were. With our new enlightenment and in depth analysis, we know that Garvey was a pathetic out making machine, who shouldn't have been in the majors; and Evans with his brilliant line of.248/.361/.431, is a hall of famer.
                Seriously; we thought Warren Spahn was a great pitcher because he averaged 20 wins a year for 17 staight years. Now we know better-the team did it, not Spahn. What a fraud!
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by redban View Post
                  What are things you miss about the old days?
                  Men wearing suits and ties to ballgames.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                    I miss just watching baseball and knowing who is a good player and who is just above average. Steve Garvey starts the all-star game for about a decade, wins gold gloves, an MVP, 2 NLCS MVPs, bats in a ton of runs, sets the league consecutive games record, and gets about 200 hits a year; we think he's a good player. We think that Darrell Evans, who I watched a lot as a Giants fan, is a pretty non descript player. He has power, he can walk, and plays a lot of positions (maybe because he's not great fielder). He think of him as an above average player at best.

                    Now we realize how stupid we were. With our new enlightenment and in depth analysis, we know that Garvey was a pathetic out making machine, who shouldn't have been in the majors; and Evans with his brilliant line of.248/.361/.431, is a hall of famer.
                    Well, we also thought that Garvey was Mr. Clean, didn't we? I kind of feel bad for Garvey after reading about his childhood, but he sure didn't match what his image was during his playing days.
                    I've never heard anybody say that Steve didn't deserve to be in the majors...just that serious, intelligent analysis indicates that he probably wasn't as good as his BA and K totals indicated, while Evans was probably better. Ron Cey was a pretty good player, but maybe the Dodgers would have been even better with Evans in his place at 3rd...probably not many people would have thought that at the time.
                    Garvey may have won some Gold Gloves, but he also should have won a bunch of Clay Arm awards.
                    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      The Rolaids Fireman Award
                      My blog - http://sandlotwisdom.blogspot.com/

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        even schedules (all teams in the same division played basically the same schedule)

                        no inter league play

                        all star game exhibition not tied to world series
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                          Now we realize how stupid we were. With our new enlightenment and in depth analysis, we know that Garvey was a pathetic out making machine, who shouldn't have been in the majors; and Evans with his brilliant line of.248/.361/.431, is a hall of famer.
                          Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                          Seriously; we thought Warren Spahn was a great pitcher because he averaged 20 wins a year for 17 staight years. Now we know better-the team did it, not Spahn. What a fraud!
                          Ha ha you guys are just "casual" fans if you're looking at batting average for hitters and W-L for pitchers! That doesn't mean anything lol!

                          You guys need to get way more sophisticated! Only then will you be worthy of "respect" as a "real" baseball fan!



                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Just for the record, I like Evans and Garvey both and did at the time.
                            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                              Going to a ball game and not having to listen to loud blaring music played between every inning. Don't know about all parks but I do get down to Toronto a couple or few times a year.
                              Loud music between every inning and if you happen to be anywhere near speakers, it sucks.

                              Amen! It's especially galling when the home team is losing by 10 runs in the 8th inning of an uninspired game, and yet the PA guy forges forward anyway with the same kind of stuff he'd play if the home team was winning by 10 runs.

                              It's also annoying to hear the same "Walkup music" 4-5 times a game for each batter. Do they all have to have music when they walk to the plate? I wish I was a MLB player; I'd have 'em play "The Ballad of Jed Clampett," just to give fans a break from the constant drone of hip-hop, neo-country and salsa.
                              "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                One thing I find incredibly annoying about the modern game is umpires calling strikes on just about every checked swing, even if it's clear the batter didn't intend to swing. Watch a game from prior to the 1990s, and you'll see there's a marked difference.
                                "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X