No announcement yet.

Things you miss about the old days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys going to the plate not looking like they are going to war...guys wear a lot of armor these days

Comment

Yes batting average is important. It's just that OBP has been proven to correlate much more strongly with scoring runs, and thus helping your team win. I've never heard anyone say that you can't be a "real" baseball fan if you prefer the old-school stats like batting and RBI.

JR Hart, I doubt anyone has ever said that Steve Garvey wasn't a good player.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Yes batting average is important.

But I don't think infield singles should count toward your batting average, they aren't "really" hits. Yes, you can be ruled safe on first, but the batter shouldn't be credited with a hit as that is not a man's way, or a "real" baseball player's way, to get a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
          But I don't think infield singles should count toward your batting average, they aren't "really" hits. Yes, you can be ruled safe on first, but the batter shouldn't be credited with a hit as that is not a man's way, or a "real" baseball player's way, to get a hit.
          I'm surprised you'd say that, considering that your buddy Ichiro is the king of infield singles.

“Chicks who dig home runs aren’t the ones who appeal to me,” Ichiro said. “I think there’s sexiness in infield hits because they require technique. I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.”

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
            Have you ever made a post that wasn't sarcastic? And have you ever made a post that didn't somehow reference Ichiro Suzuki? You've managed to do both here, as usual. This conversation had nothing to do with Ichiro. Your total obsession over him is kinda creepy.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

One of the bigger problems I see today is time between pitches...if I were commissioner I would be getting on the umps to be enforcing that rule

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                I miss just watching baseball and knowing who is a good player and who is just above average. Steve Garvey starts the all-star game for about a decade, wins gold gloves, an MVP, 2 NLCS MVPs, bats in a ton of runs, sets the league consecutive games record, and gets about 200 hits a year; we think he's a good player. We think that Darrell Evans, who I watched a lot as a Giants fan, is a pretty non descript player. He has power, he can walk, and plays a lot of positions (maybe because he's not great fielder). He think of him as an above average player at best.

Now we realize how stupid we were. With our new enlightenment and in depth analysis, we know that Garvey was a pathetic out making machine, who shouldn't have been in the majors; and Evans with his brilliant line of.248/.361/.431, is a hall of famer.
                What I miss about the good old days were those times my coach would tell me to swing away and my teammates would shout "get a hit". The fans would encourage me too. I cannot remember anyone ever encouraging me to "get a walk" or "don't make an out" or "defer to the next batter". If they ever did, I never heard it.

Also, I never heard it at the major league games I often attended.
                Your Second Base Coach
                Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                  I miss this kind of World Series TV intro! Keith Jackson, where have you gone? Pedro Guerrero in center field?! Seriously?
                  `
                  Here's something I miss, and the 1981 World Series video made me think of it.

EVERYONE used to stand for the national anthem. The last time I went to a game, that could not be said.

Some students in my homeroom don't bother to stand up for it before first period, and it's not a school rule that you have to...
                  Your Second Base Coach
                  Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post

Some students in my homeroom don't bother to stand up for it before first period, and it's not a school rule that you have to...
                    They play the National Anthem is schools these days?

Comment

• I don't mind standing for the national anthem. But you will never see me standing for god bless america.
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                        Ha ha you guys are just "casual" fans if you're looking at batting average for hitters and W-L for pitchers! That doesn't mean anything lol!

You guys need to get way more sophisticated! Only then will you be worthy of "respect" as a "real" baseball fan!

Really?

How are fans who ignore traditional stats any more "real" fans? Also, I didn't mention BA in my post about Garvey. IMO, any fan who thinks rbi are only only about teamates and luck, and wins aren't one way to reflect on a pitchers seasonal performance, (especially in Spahn's time) are just moronic nerds.
                        This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                          Really?

How are fans who ignore traditional stats any more "real" fans? Also, I didn't mention BA in my post about Garvey. IMO, any fan who thinks rbi are only only about teamates and luck, and wins aren't one way to reflect on a pitchers seasonal performance, (especially in Spahn's time) are just moronic nerds.
                          Back in the day, we used to appreciate sarcasm.
                          Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

• double post
                            Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 06-09-2012, 01:34 AM.
                            Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
                              Here's something I miss, and the 1981 World Series video made me think of it.

EVERYONE used to stand for the national anthem. The last time I went to a game, that could not be said.

I take it you are a teacher...I am also a teacher...I do not make the students say the pledge, but I do require them to stand...If they talk during it, we start over and we either all say it or make that person or persons start the pledge for us

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
                                I take it you are a teacher...I am also a teacher...I do not make the students say the pledge, but I do require them to stand...If they talk during it, we start over and we either all say it or make that person or persons start the pledge for us
                                I have never had a student that refused to stand - not sure what I would do at that point. I do not make them recite it, of course. Not a big fan of people taking oaths that they don't mean.
                                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X