Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will end their career with more runs scored, Jeter or A-rod?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I have noticed that many uninformed fans think that Splinter hit .400 as an old man, but he ended up at .388 in his golden season...he was quoted many times as saying he could have hit .400 if he still had the speed of his younger self at that point.
    I can't imagine why you think I'm getting on Jeter's back when I suggest that he could hit .300+ this season and basically make the same point as you about taking early season batting averages too seriously. I suppose that I'm blaspheming when I post that I don't think he'll get close to Rose's hit record.
    Dude (if I may call you Dude), you made the point that Jeter was hitting .400 a couple of weeks ago, and now he isn't. A lot of guys were probably hitting .400 a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. There's so much Jeter hate on this board, I thought you were one of them.

    BTW, Williams was right, in 1957 when he hit .388 at age 38, he missed .400 by five hits. He was never especially fleet-footed, a faster man might well have had five infield hits over the course of the season.

    And no, I don't think Jeter will get close to Rose or Cobb's hit totals, he doesn't have enough time.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
      I have noticed that many uninformed fans think that Splinter hit .400 as an old man, but he ended up at .388 in his golden season...he was quoted many times as saying he could have hit .400 if he still had the speed of his younger self at that point.
      I can't imagine why you think I'm getting on Jeter's back when I suggest that he could hit .300+ this season and basically make the same point as you about taking early season batting averages too seriously. I suppose that I'm blaspheming when I post that I don't think he'll get close to Rose's hit record.
      Dude (if I may call you Dude), you made the point that Jeter was hitting .400 a couple of weeks ago, and now he isn't. A lot of guys were probably hitting .400 a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. There's so much Jeter hate on this board, I thought you were one of them.

      BTW, Williams was right, in 1957 when he hit .388 at age 38, he missed .400 by five hits. He was never especially fleet-footed, a faster man might well have had five infield hits over the course of the season.

      And no, I don't think Jeter will get close to Rose or Cobb's hit totals, he doesn't have enough time.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

      Comment


      • #18
        It makes me sick to my stomach that people compare Jeter to A-rod. Jeter is a VASTLY inferior player who at his very best wasn't good enough to lick the tar off A-rod cleats

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BondsOverBabe View Post
          It makes me sick to my stomach that people compare Jeter to A-rod. Jeter is a VASTLY inferior player who at his very best wasn't good enough to lick the tar off A-rod cleats
          how come Jeter hits for a higher average and has more rings?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
            I'm not sure why you are telling me I couldn't be more wrong.

            You are basing everything on what Jeter did in March/April of this year. I posted his extraordinary BABIP during that stretch which indicates he was incredibly lucky, not incredibly good. His BA regressing toward the mean and his BABIP falling down towards reality is a clear indication of this.

            You ask "What can A-Rod do today that Jeter can't besides hit a long ball? " I think you have answered your own question. If you have two hitters that have similar BA but one hits the long ball, who are you going to pick. The amount of power ARod has over Jeter makes him a far more valuable hitter.

            ARod and Jeter are both declining as hitters at similar rates. That being said, since ARod was the far superior hitter to begin with, even his diminished OPS+ is still about the same as Jeter's career average.

            As for his glove, I don't see it. He has no range to speak of. He is surehanded and always makes the routine plays, no doubt about that...but he is a SS, not a 1Bman. A lot more is expected out of a SS. Even dWAR indicates Jeter is costing us games with his limited range. Can you give me examples of where you see Jeter's defense has improved?
            If you're not wrong, then tell me where A-Rod is better besides home runs. I'm not just basing it off the first two moths either. How about for the past year? The only place Jeter has declined is in his legs, as I don't see him getting to 15 steals this year. Now with the glove, compare his defensive stats from 2008 on to earlier in his career. They should be worse, but they are not. He's good for his age at SS.

            Was A-Rod the far superior hitter to begin with? Yeah, being on steroids since as early as a teenager gave him a huge boost. Reverse their PED use and their numbers would dramatically be changed.
            Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
              Williams was quoted many times as saying he could have hit .400 if he still had the speed of his younger self at that point.
              Ted's own words.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                how come Jeter hits for a higher average and has more rings?
                Don't forget the gold gloves and intangibles.
                Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                  how come Jeter hits for a higher average and has more rings?
                  Jeter has more rings because he was on the Yankees longer. Jorge Posada has more rings than A-Rod too, was he a better player?

                  I'm a Jeter fan, A-Rod, not so much, but this is pretty obvious, even to me.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    Dude (if I may call you Dude), you made the point that Jeter was hitting .400 a couple of weeks ago, and now he isn't. A lot of guys were probably hitting .400 a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. There's so much Jeter hate on this board, I thought you were one of them.

                    BTW, Williams was right, in 1957 when he hit .388 at age 38, he missed .400 by five hits. He was never especially fleet-footed, a faster man might well have had five infield hits over the course of the season.

                    And no, I don't think Jeter will get close to Rose or Cobb's hit totals, he doesn't have enough time.
                    I would have loved for Jeter to be on the Bosox for his career. I probably would have taken Nomah by a hair comparing their peak seasons, but he flamed out so young and Derek is still out there playing. There are some things about Jeter's style that irk me at times, but the guy is a ballplayer through and through and generally handles himself with class and admirable reserve.

                    As far as the original question, ARod is younger than Jeter and about 50 runs ahead. Arod also seems more likely to just plain break down physically, but I don't see him retiring early and the Yanks are going to have to pay him unless he can be certified as physically unfit to play and the contract is covered by insurance, as happened with Albert Belle...ARod will come out ahead because the Yanks will have to play him for several more years (no matter how bad he is) due to that huge contract.
                    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Looking back at this thread, Jeter is 30 runs behind A-Rod. With A-Rod out until July at the earliest, Jeter will pass him by late Spring, barring injury. So who retires with more? All depends how long Jeter wants to play. I hope he sticks around for 4,000, but no one knows.
                      Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Well, it looks like it's going to be Jeter now.
                        Last edited by White Knight; 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM.
                        Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                          Looking back at this thread, Jeter is 30 runs behind A-Rod. With A-Rod out until July at the earliest, Jeter will pass him by late Spring, barring injury. So who retires with more? All depends how long Jeter wants to play. I hope he sticks around for 4,000, but no one knows.
                          4,000 runs?
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                            Well, it looks like it's going to Jeter now.
                            Hopefully A-Rod never plays another game in the Bigs!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              4,000 runs?
                              Ha, I meant if he sticks around for 4,000 hits he will surely retire with more runs than A-Rod. However, with these recent PED allegations, I think Jeter now retires with more runs no matter what.
                              Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X