• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    pg 201

Cronin wasn't going to do anythng about his sulking star

York wasn't intimidated and dressed Williams down in which he told him his behavior was spoiling what ought to be an exciting time for the whole team

much later he (williams) called his acts a "childish stunt"

this is the behavior of a surly me first star on his only pennant winning team

you can have him along with his mediocre base running, mediocre fielding and missing a ton of games - all with an attitude

there are quotes he was as much disliked as Albert Belle was more recently, the reality being distorted by 40 years of fishing and good old guy stories
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    all below taken from pg 202

"While still in the clubhouse, Williams had told someone that if they should clinch it today, he wouldn't be coming to any victory party tonight. He had other things to do, he said.

"He eventually did get the players, the owner, and the champagne all together in a banquet room at the Statler for what turned out to be a brief and oddly subduded celebration. All except Williams.

The official celebration, Keane said, wasn't a pretty sight for a team that had just won the pennant.

From the writers' point of view, the only story of the event was that Williams hadn;t gone to it., and Dowd tried to put the best face on this he could by telling reporters Williams had gone to the local hospital to visit a dying vet. The Globe ran the story the next day, though writer Hy Hurwitz investigated the story and found it wasn't so.

what part about B R I E F and OD D L Y S U B D U E D and/or NOT A PRETTY SIGHT do you not get?
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    1) The victory party, as described in the book "When the Boys Came home, baseball and 1946" was short and not particularly sweet due to Williams not going. He was angry at teammates who challenged him to quit being so stubborn and try to pull the ball into the Williams shift, which caused a second half slump and made him even more surly than usual.
    I'm not sure if you are intentionally misrepresenting what is in that book or you simply don't know what was written. Nowhere in the book does the author claim or quotes players and personnel from the Red Sox saying the party was short and not particularly sweet due to Williams not going. It just isn't in there.

Also the story of Williams visiting a vet in the hospital is false. Boston's PR guy made it up and about three days afterwards it was debunked.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    maybe that s why Stengle, who failed miserably in three other managerial attempts, was able to finally win with the talented and high salaried Yankees and their superior scouting system and high payroll

glad you see it that way
    Huh? Are you trying to prove my point?

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    .338/.479/.638. Not bad for a "slump".

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    That wouldn't have had anything to do with Henderson having better teammates, would it?
    maybe that s why Stengle, who failed miserably in three other managerial attempts, was able to finally win with the talented and high salaried Yankees and their superior scouting system and high payroll

glad you see it that way

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    1) The victory party, as described in the book "When the Boys Came home, baseball and 1946" was short and not particularly sweet due to Williams not going. He was angry at teammates who challenged him to quit being so stubborn and try to pull the ball into the Williams shift, which caused a second half slump and made him even more surly than usual.

2) he could have visited veterans any day or time, missing the party wa s a convenient excuse.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied

Ted Williams - one first place team and he was such a jerk he didnt even go to the victory party
    On the night of the victory party Williams made an unpublicized hospital visit to visit with wounded WWII veterans. I doubt if his teammates held that against him.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Well, Rickey was such a "clubhouse leader" that he was playing cards in the clubhouse while the Mets folded. So I guess to be a clubhouse leader one of the requirements is that you have to be in the clubhouse.

This whole notion of who is or isn't a leader is foolish. We're outsiders and we have no idea what is going on behind closed doors and we don't know who is doing what and whether or not what they are or are not doing has any effect on the bottom line.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Rickey Henderson - seven first place teams

Ted Williams - one first place team and he was such a jerk he didnt even go to the victory party
    That wouldn't have had anything to do with Henderson having better teammates, would it?

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Rickey Henderson - seven first place teams

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Ah, the great clubhouse leader Rickey Henderson...

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    I think Williams has many good point but he is not one of my favorites

basically a one dimensional player (very good at that one dimension) who was not much of a fielder, base runner or clubhouse help

and he missed too many games for me in the seasons he actually played which is somewhat counterbalanced by the war years he missed

I would take Bonds Musial and Rickey H over both of them but then again I would take Collins, Morgan and Jackie over Hornsby for my 2B as well

while Williams and Hornsby will give you tremendous offense, I prefer players who can also field run the bases and contribute in other ways

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    And your opinion on Ted Williams? You know, the other player in this thread?
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    lots of players played in the second deadball era

they didnt have a fenway park to bail them out with inflated home stats though (how many drop 81 points in slugging percentage away from their cozy home?)

just think of those players who had to suffer through the astrodome or dodger stadium or oakland as their home park

reggie jackson, strikeout king, outhit batting champ Yaz in road games

you can look it up
    And your opinion on Ted Williams? You know, the other player in this thread?

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    lots of players played in the second deadball era

they didnt have a fenway park to bail them out with inflated home stats though (how many drop 81 points in slugging percentage away from their cozy home?)

just think of those players who had to suffer through the astrodome or dodger stadium or oakland as their home park

reggie jackson, strikeout king, outhit Yaz, batting champ, in road games

you can look it up
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X