Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ted Williams vs Carl Yastrzemski

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Yaz himself would laugh at the comparison.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      Yaz himself would laugh at the comparison.
      Better to laugh than to cry. Yaz was hyped as the new Ted Williams and then got a boatload of grief for not being so. For a while it looked like he might be, and then for the rest of his career, just about every year he was criticized for not once again carrying the Red Sox on his back into the post season.
      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
        Better to laugh than to cry. Yaz was hyped as the new Ted Williams and then got a boatload of grief for not being so. For a while it looked like he might be, and then for the rest of his career, just about every year he was criticized for not once again carrying the Red Sox on his back into the post season.
        What happened to Yaz after 1970? He has a fair amount of Black Ink from 1963-70. Then nothing after that.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

        Comment


        • #49
          Only a small sample on the number of players but you would expect it to be just the opposite with the Green Monster.
          But, the left handers doubles home and away shows the bigger gap.
          Obviuosly the configuration of the park in right and right center played a part.
          Doubtful those lefthanders hit a significant number off the wall in left.

          Out of all of them. possible Boggs hit a fair number off the wall.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #50
            ^ so much for the theory Yaz uniquely took advantage of his park and should be credited for it

            what happened is he got inflated numbers playing in an offensive park and those inflated numbers disappeared when he played in normal parks

            boston hitters over the years have routinely been over valued because of inflated numbers due to park illusions

            period

            Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
            Only a small sample on the number of players but you would expect it to be just the opposite with the Green Monster.
            But, the left handers doubles home and away shows the bigger gap.
            Obviuosly the configuration of the park in right and right center played a part.
            Doubtful those lefthanders hit a significant number off the wall in left.

            Out of all of them. possible Boggs hit a fair number off the wall.
            Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM.
            1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
            2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
            3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
              ^ so much for the theory Yaz uniquely took advantage of his park and should be credited for it

              what happened is he got inflated numbers playing in an offensive park and those inflated numbers disappeared when he played in normal parks

              boston hitters over the years have routinely been over valued because of inflated numbers due to park illusions

              period
              He cannot control which

              park his team plays in

              but at the end of the day a player

              with over 3400 hits and 450 home runs and 90 WAR, and a triple crown

              and an MVP and 7 gold gloves

              and 55 Black Ink (avg HOFer: 27)

              is an all time great player.

              regardless of whether he had a favorable home park

              period
              My top 10 players:

              1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

              Comment


              • #52
                home .306 .402 .503
                road .264 .357 .422

                the truth hurts
                1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                  What happened to Yaz after 1970? He has a fair amount of Black Ink from 1963-70. Then nothing after that.
                  SI article
                  July 10, 1972

                  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6289/index.htm

                  If, indeed, Yastrzemski is finished as a home-run hitter, the hand injury he suffered last season trying to steal a base is probably more to blame than the knee he hurt sliding into home plate against the Angels on May 9 this year.

                  But then (which may just be talk)...
                  For his own part, Yaz says he simply hasn't been swinging for the fences. "I don't think the injuries have anything to do with it. It's just a matter of whether I'm trying for home runs or not. It's easier for me to hit this way."

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                    home .306 .402 .503
                    road .264 .357 .422

                    the truth hurts
                    What's the truth, that he was solid, but not spectacular on the road? I never denied that. You fail to look at the total package.

                    Funny how you ignored every point in my post.
                    My top 10 players:

                    1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      now lets look at some "similar"* players (* accoridng to baseball ref.com)

                      Harold Baines
                      Home .290 .361 .468
                      Road .289 .351 .461

                      dont see any 81 points drop in slugging
                      dont see any 42 point drop in BA
                      dont see any 45 point in OB %
                      why? because he did not have an offensive home park to inflate his numbers

                      Eddie Murray
                      Home .288 .364 .470
                      Road .286 .356 .482

                      dont see any 81 points drop in slugging
                      dont see any 42 point drop in BA
                      dont see any 45 point in OB %
                      why? because he did not have an offensive home park to inflate his numbers
                      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        and my favorite
                        the strikeout king vs the batting champ

                        Yaz we already know
                        home .306 .402 .503
                        road .264 .357 .422 (so funny)

                        The Reg
                        Home .255 .349 .481
                        Road .268 .362 .499

                        Yaz in Fenway .306 .402 .503
                        Yaz in Oakland .253 .353 .394

                        Reg in Fenway .280 .369 .534
                        Reg in Oakland .258 .353 .491

                        park illusions are such a simple PROVEABLE concept
                        it is funny so many people are BLIND to it
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Yaz must be the most mediocre player with 90 WAR.
                          My top 10 players:

                          1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            His black ink are a large part because he played in an offensive park


                            as a reminder

                            1962 OVERALL .296 19 HR .469 SA
                            1962 HOME .342 11 HR .563 SA
                            1962 ROAD .252 8 HR .379 SA

                            1965 OVERALL .312 20 HR .536 SA
                            1965 HOME .331 16 HR .639 SA
                            1965 ROAD .289 4 HR .417 SA

                            1977 OVERALL .296 28 HR .505 SA
                            1977 HOME .351 14 HR .557 SA
                            1977 ROAD .239 14 HR .453 SA

                            Dante Bichette had black ink too (look at 1995 w hen he led the league in hits, home runs, RBI slugging and TB)
                            Home .377 .397 .755
                            Road .300 .329 .473

                            do you really think someone who had a .329 OB% and a .473 SA is really the second best player in the league?
                            1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                            2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                            3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                              His black ink are a large part because he played in an offensive park


                              as a reminder

                              1962 OVERALL .296 19 HR .469 SA
                              1962 HOME .342 11 HR .563 SA
                              1962 ROAD .252 8 HR .379 SA

                              1965 OVERALL .312 20 HR .536 SA
                              1965 HOME .331 16 HR .639 SA
                              1965 ROAD .289 4 HR .417 SA

                              1977 OVERALL .296 28 HR .505 SA
                              1977 HOME .351 14 HR .557 SA
                              1977 ROAD .239 14 HR .453 SA

                              Dante Bichette had black ink too (look at 1995 w hen he led the league in hits, home runs, RBI slugging and TB)
                              Home .377 .397 .755
                              Road .300 .329 .473

                              do you really think someone who had a .329 OB% and a .473 SA is really the second best player in the league?
                              maybe try looking at career splits rather than selected miscellaneous individual seasons ... ?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                see post 52

                                Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
                                maybe try looking at career splits rather than selected miscellaneous individual seasons ... ?
                                1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                                2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                                3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X