Ted Williams vs Carl Yastrzemski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    maybe that s why Stengle, who failed miserably in three other managerial attempts, was able to finally win with the talented and high salaried Yankees and their superior scouting system and high payroll

glad you see it that way
    Huh? Are you trying to prove my point?
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

1) The victory party, as described in the book "When the Boys Came home, baseball and 1946" was short and not particularly sweet due to Williams not going. He was angry at teammates who challenged him to quit being so stubborn and try to pull the ball into the Williams shift, which caused a second half slump and made him even more surly than usual.
      I'm not sure if you are intentionally misrepresenting what is in that book or you simply don't know what was written. Nowhere in the book does the author claim or quotes players and personnel from the Red Sox saying the party was short and not particularly sweet due to Williams not going. It just isn't in there.

Also the story of Williams visiting a vet in the hospital is false. Boston's PR guy made it up and about three days afterwards it was debunked.

Comment

all below taken from pg 202

"While still in the clubhouse, Williams had told someone that if they should clinch it today, he wouldn't be coming to any victory party tonight. He had other things to do, he said.

"He eventually did get the players, the owner, and the champagne all together in a banquet room at the Statler for what turned out to be a brief and oddly subduded celebration. All except Williams.

The official celebration, Keane said, wasn't a pretty sight for a team that had just won the pennant.

From the writers' point of view, the only story of the event was that Williams hadn;t gone to it., and Dowd tried to put the best face on this he could by telling reporters Williams had gone to the local hospital to visit a dying vet. The Globe ran the story the next day, though writer Hy Hurwitz investigated the story and found it wasn't so.

what part about B R I E F and OD D L Y S U B D U E D and/or NOT A PRETTY SIGHT do you not get?
        Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM.
        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

pg 201

Cronin wasn't going to do anythng about his sulking star

York wasn't intimidated and dressed Williams down in which he told him his behavior was spoiling what ought to be an exciting time for the whole team

much later he (williams) called his acts a "childish stunt"

this is the behavior of a surly me first star on his only pennant winning team

you can have him along with his mediocre base running, mediocre fielding and missing a ton of games - all with an attitude

there are quotes he was as much disliked as Albert Belle was more recently, the reality being distorted by 40 years of fishing and good old guy stories
          Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 12:23 PM.
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

I just don't like the double standard that I sense sometimes. Some players are lauded for their superior home stats, because they 'took advantage of their home park', while others are called frauds. If Yaz was great because he took advantage of Fenway, then Jim Rice was also great, because his home/road splits are similar.

Comment

it would be laudable if a player UNIQUELY took advantge of his home park

when all or most all players do the same thing, it is NOT taking advantage, it is a park illusion that falsely inflates their worth and value

Originally posted by willshad View Post
              I just don't like the double standard that I sense sometimes. Some players are lauded for their superior home stats, because they 'took advantage of their home park', while others are called frauds. If Yaz was great because he took advantage of Fenway, then Jim Rice was also great, because his home/road splits are similar.
              Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Teddy was a better player than Rickey however you slice it. So what if he was a jerk?

So was Rickey.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

You can you please explain your double standard when it comes to Red Sox hitters and Dodgers pitchers? In one of the recent pitcher threads you speak about Koufax, but never does the fact that the 60's Dodgers stadium being one of the best pitching parks ever come out. Never does the fact that Fenway is a hitters park seem to help with the case of Pedro Martinez. Surely you would think with how hung up you are on park factors these would play a more significant role in the way you look at Pedro and Koufax.

and seriously, no matter how you slice it, Ted is better than every other LF except for roided Barry. Rickey? Cmon man. In a pretty significant sample size, 523 PA, Henderson's ops was .780 at Fenway, as opposed to .820 lifetime. I guess he's lucky he didn't have to hit in Fenway for 1/2 his games.

Comment

Originally posted by Seels View Post
                    You can you please explain your double standard when it comes to Red Sox hitters and Dodgers pitchers? In one of the recent pitcher threads you speak about Koufax, but never does the fact that the 60's Dodgers stadium being one of the best pitching parks ever come out. Never does the fact that Fenway is a hitters park seem to help with the case of Pedro Martinez. Surely you would think with how hung up you are on park factors these would play a more significant role in the way you look at Pedro and Koufax.

and seriously, no matter how you slice it, Ted is better than every other LF except for roided Barry. Rickey? Cmon man. In a pretty significant sample size, 523 PA, Henderson's ops was .780 at Fenway, as opposed to .820 lifetime. I guess he's lucky he didn't have to hit in Fenway for 1/2 his games.
                    Don't expect any consistency from him. Some people argue for the sake of argument.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

It's getting a little bit too much about the posters, folks. Let's keep the discussion about the principle players involved. Thanks.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

all below taken from pg 202

"While still in the clubhouse, Williams had told someone that if they should clinch it today, he wouldn't be coming to any victory party tonight. He had other things to do, he said.

"He eventually did get the players, the owner, and the champagne all together in a banquet room at the Statler for what turned out to be a brief and oddly subduded celebration. All except Williams.

The official celebration, Keane said, wasn't a pretty sight for a team that had just won the pennant.

From the writers' point of view, the only story of the event was that Williams hadn;t gone to it., and Dowd tried to put the best face on this he could by telling reporters Williams had gone to the local hospital to visit a dying vet. The Globe ran the story the next day, though writer Hy Hurwitz investigated the story and found it wasn't so.

what part about B R I E F and OD D L Y S U B D U E D and/or NOT A PRETTY SIGHT do you not get?
                        Again, nowhere in the book does the author make the claim nor have the author quoting a player stating that the celebration was the way you think it was because Williams wasn't there. Page 201's reference wasn't about the celebration and if it ever was spoken was spoken during the pennant race and not after the Red Sox clinched the pennant.

The celebration could have been subdued for a variety of reasons, if it was subdued at all. For starters they got the news hours later and weren't all brought back together after for awhile as well. That tends to put a damper on things.

You'll also notice that Keane, a reporter-a outsider, said the official celebration wasn't a pretty sight. Two things about that. One, reporters weren't allowed in. No reporters saw what happened within the "official" celebration and two, why does the "official" celebration matter? Were there no other celebrations? Not likely as the author already mentioned that after the game the players dispersed and did their own thing.
                        Last edited by Ubiquitous; 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I did not say who was better

'I said which one I prefer

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          Teddy was a better player than Rickey however you slice it. So what if he was a jerk?

So was Rickey.

Comment

1) did williams attend the celebration
                            NO and that says a lot about him, the made up after the fact story about going to a hospital was just that
                            think Winfield and the made up stories to try to explain his 0 or 1 for whatever world series

2) was Williams in good spirits at that time
                            no he was frustrated with the williams shift and threw tantrums and other things as his personal stats were affected
                            enough said

3) Williams pre-determined he was not going to the celebration
                            what kind of all for one one for all teammate would do that
                            only self absorbed self conflicted self centered players ar elike that

I am comfortable with my assessment about Williams and his clubhouse demeaner and antics

you want him you can have him

throw Cobb and Hornsby in the same clubhouse and you will have three guys worse that Milton Bradley, John Rocker and Albert Belle in your clubhouse

good luck

I will take others who might not be as high rated with convulted formulations but were still pretty damn good and did not have the baggage

and I will not go for players who have tilted stats that are strictly due to park illusions
                            Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

when have I rated Pedro Martinez

please include the forum, the thread, the post the date

if I have, it escapes me

Koufax and the 60s and Dodger Stadium - ahh that explains everything, actually the myth that Koufax solely benfitted from Dodger Stadium was easily debunked in a biography about him, surely you read it.

and of course, his previous 4 years to 1962 he pitched in probably the worst park for a LH in ml history with a 250 pop to LF being a home run or easy double off the screen, despite this, Koufax pitched a pennant altering game in 1959 striking out a ML record 18 Giants, who were in first place at the time and in 1961 his road ERA was lower than the league leaders ERA for the season and he set a nl record for K's, he set a world series record striking out 15 yankees at yankee stadium and shut out the twins in game 7 in minnesota in 1965

how much was Dodger Stadium a factor in those accomplishments?

Originally posted by Seels View Post

Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                                I see your point, Willshad, but I think you may be generalizing across viewpoints. I lauded Yaz and pointed out that Rice shared his home/away OPS+ splits, but I have never considered Rice a fraud thereby. I feel that his strength in triple crown categories does not accurately indicate his ability to help his teams win, but that's a different story.

Yaz was great because he took advantage of Fenway AND

had a career OPS+ of 130 for 14000 plate appearances
                                ranks 25th in career WAR for position players
                                carried the Red Sox on his back to the pennant in 67
                                won three batting championships, five on-base titles, three slugging titles, seven gold gloves
                                Four adjusted OPS+ titles, three offensive WAR titles, five times in the top three. . .

I think you can see where this is going. Aside from the home/away split, he and Jim Rice don't have that much in common.

I absolutely agree, however, that anyone who looks at Yaz's home OPS+ as an accomplishment, not a pile of filth that contaminates his career, should grant Jim Rice the same courtesy.
                                Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X