The Ten Great All- Decade Team (1920-2010) Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Great All- Decade Team (1920-2010) Tournament

As some folks here know, I'm a fan of RBI Baseball.

It comes with 10 teams...and I LOVE making All-time Teams.

SO--

1920s to 2010s...

Ten Decades of Great Baseball--let's see which decade was best!

Suggestions for rosters (RBI allows 12 position players and 4 pitchers per team) are welcome.

For those 1980s and onward, let's have 1 of those 4 pitchers be a reliever.

SO!

The best of the best from each decade, both leagues, AL and NL...

All-Decade Teams?
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

For the 1990s (to start with the decade I started watching the great game in) I think I'll have...

C: Mike Piazza
    1B: Frank Thomas (easy to pick McGwire here, but I'm going for a PED-free team...or at least a "cleaner" one than if we included McGwire/Sosa/Bonds/Clemens/etc.)
    2B: Craig Biggio
    SS: Cal Ripken, Jr.
    3B: Wade Boggs
    OF: Ken Griffey, Jr.
    OF: Tony Gwynn
    OF: Joe Carter

C: Sandy Alomar
    2B: Roberto Alomar
    SS: Barry Larkin
    OF: Paul O'Neill

(Jeter and Chipper will be on the 2000s team; more All-Star games and awards for that decade, and so many great players, to get them all in, I'm avoiding duplicates)

P: Greg Maddux
    P: Tom Glavine
    P: Pedro Martinez
    P: Trevor Hoffman

(Again, just as above, some pitchers, like Mariano Rivera, aren't on this team because they'll be on another team)
    Last edited by Shea Knight; 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

1960s nominations
      SP Koufax Marichal Gibson Ford McDowell Chance Drysdale
      RP Perranoski S Miller Wilhelm
      C Torre Freehan
      1B McCovey Cepeda
      2B Rose Mazeroski Richardson
      SS Wills Fregosi
      3B Santo B Robinson Killebrew
      OF Mays McCovey Mantle Yaztremski Aaron Kaline Clemente
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'll do the 2000's. I'm assuming you are using the same rule for PED players, based on your 1990's team.

C-Joe Mauer
        1B-Albert Pujols
        2B-Chase Utley
        SS-Derek Jeter
        3B-Chipper Jones
        OF-Carlos Beltran
        OF-Vladimir Guerrero
        OF-Ichiro Suzuki

C-Jorge Posada
        1B-Todd Helton
        3B-Scott Rolen
        OF-Andruw Jones

P-Roy Halladay
        P-Johan Santana
        P-Roy Oswalt
        P-Mariano Rivera
        Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight;2026410
          For the 1990s (to start with the decade I started watching the great game in) I think I'll have...

C: Mike Piazza
          1B: Frank Thomas (easy to pick McGwire here, but I'm going for a PED-free team...or at least a "cleaner" one than if we included McGwire/Sosa/Bonds/Clemens/etc.)
          2B: Craig Biggio
          SS: Cal Ripken, Jr.
          3B: Wade Boggs
          OF: Ken Griffey, Jr.
          OF: Tony Gwynn
          OF: Joe Carter

C: Sandy Alomar
          2B: Roberto Alomar
          SS: Barry Larkin
          OF: Paul O'Neill

(Jeter and Chipper will be on the 2000s team; more All-Star games and awards for that decade, and so many great players, to get them all in, I'm avoiding duplicates)

P: Greg Maddux
          P: Tom Glavine
          P:Pedro Martinez
          P: Trevor Hoffman
          What about Larry Walker? His 1997 was monstrous.

I'd put him over Carter or O'Neill.

Comment

can players be on two decade rosters?

Comment

70s
              C Bench
              1B Stargell
              2B Morgan
              SS Concepcion
              3B Rose
              LF Singleton
              CF B. Bonds
              RF Jackson

C Tenance
              IF Carew
              IF Grich
              OF R. Smith

P Seaver
              P Ryan
              P Niekro
              RP Gossage
              "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
              - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
              - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
                What about Larry Walker? His 1997 was monstrous.

I'd put him over Carter or O'Neill.
                I thought he was nailed for PEDs/strongly implicated?

If not (or if it's childish he-said-she-said with no real backing from late-career spikes or a sudden weight gain or going from 10 to 50 HRs, ie, the way the charge has been laid against Piazza and others) I'll put him in...

I left Ivan Rodriguez off, which was sad, but he was in Canseco's book, and hung out with a lot of juicers...

I don't know--what do you think of Rodriguez, clean, or not (or, at least, as clean/unproven as my old hero Piazza, I suppose, to be fair...there'll always be rumors, but there are rumors and then there are rumors, if you get my drift.)

So yeah--Larry Walker and Ivan Rodriguez pending, I suppose.

Originally posted by brett View Post
                can players be on two decade rosters?
                I'd prefer not, as we have so many great players and rosters are so small (12 position players and 4 pitchers) that I think limiting players to one decade (ie, their best decade) and allowing more players to thus be involved is justified...

Hence the reason Mariano/Jeter/Posada/Randy Johnson/etc. are not in the 1990s batch but will be in the 2000s (with Randy I could've picked either, I took 2000s for his perfect game and WS win and all, as he had plenty of accolades in the 1990s and 2000s.)

Comment

Where does Pedro Martinez belong? On the 1990s or the 2000s team?

He came into his own in 1995, and he faded after 2005. So that means his run overlapped both decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                    I thought he was nailed for PEDs/strongly implicated?

If not (or if it's childish he-said-she-said with no real backing from late-career spikes or a sudden weight gain or going from 10 to 50 HRs, ie, the way the charge has been laid against Piazza and others) I'll put him in...

I left Ivan Rodriguez off, which was sad, but he was in Canseco's book, and hung out with a lot of juicers...

I don't know--what do you think of Rodriguez, clean, or not (or, at least, as clean/unproven as my old hero Piazza, I suppose, to be fair...there'll always be rumors, but there are rumors and then there are rumors, if you get my drift.)

So yeah--Larry Walker and Ivan Rodriguez pending, I suppose.

I'd prefer not, as we have so many great players and rosters are so small (12 position players and 4 pitchers) that I think limiting players to one decade (ie, their best decade) and allowing more players to thus be involved is justified...

Hence the reason Mariano/Jeter/Posada/Randy Johnson/etc. are not in the 1990s batch but will be in the 2000s (with Randy I could've picked either, I took 2000s for his perfect game and WS win and all, as he had plenty of accolades in the 1990s and 2000s.)
                    I've truly heard nothing on Larry Walker using steroids.

Pudge has to be kept off if steroid guys are omitted. It's not just Canseco's book; Pudge himself confessed years ago. They asked him if his name was on that 2003 list, and all he said was "Only God knows"

Comment

I've truly heard nothing on Larry Walker using steroids.

Pudge has to be kept off if steroid guys are omitted. It's not just Canseco's book; Pudge himself confessed years ago. They asked him if his name was on that 2003 list, and all he said was "Only God knows"
                      Well, that's truly a shame about Pudge; I thought he'd been implicated, I seemed to recall that...

But OK...well, adding Walker seems reasonable, but that means someone has to go, and since we have a 5-to-3 Righty advantage over lefties...

O'Neill stays on the bench, but sorry Joe--you won't be touching them all with the All 1990s Team.

Comment

Where does Pedro Martinez belong? On the 1990s or the 2000s team?

He came into his own in 1995, and he faded after 2005. So that means his run overlapped both decades.
                        I put him on the 1990s team because:

1. The 1999 season
                        2. He had some good honors in there
                        3. He was still rising
                        4. I thought he had a better shot with making a 1990s team than the 2000s team with his 2000s-only resume (I just look at the decade for each player, hence another reason why players aren't in multiple decades, they generally only have enough amazing body of work for one decade, especially with all the other Hall of Famers and All-Stars that crop up with each new decade as they get older.)

Comment

1980s:

C: Gary Carter
                          1B: Eddie Murray
                          2B:
                          SS: Cal Ripken
                          3B: Mike Schmidt
                          LF: Rickey Henderson
                          CF:
                          RF: Dwight Evans

B:
                          B: Ozzie Smith
                          B: George Brett
                          B: Dave Winfield

SP: Roger Clemens
                          SP: Nolan Ryan
                          SP: Dwight Gooden
                          RP: Bruce Sutter

Comment

Only 16? Seems crazy. I'll do the 1950s:

C Yogi Berra
                            1B Stan Musial- he played there more than OF in the 50s but can also play OF
                            2B Nellie Fox
                            SS Pee Wee Reese
                            3B Eddie Mathews
                            OF Willie Mays- I'll play him in CF
                            OF Mickey Mantle- I'll play him in LF because he wasn't as good a fielder as
                            OF- Duke Snider- I'll play him in RF because of his outstanding arm

C Roy Campanella
                            IF Jackie Robinson- 2b/3b/LF/1B
                            OF Ted Williams
                            OF Richie Ashburn

P Warren Spahn
                            P Robin Roberts
                            P Early Wynn
                            P Billy Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by hwmongoose View Post
                              1980s:

C: Gary Carter (Had him)
                              1B: Eddie Murray (Had him)
                              2B: (I put Ryne Sandberg here)
                              SS: Cal Ripken (Ripken's already on the 1990s team; did that so I could put the Wizard of Oz, Ozzie Smith here)
                              3B: Mike Schmidt (Schmidt will be on the 1970s team so George Brett can go here)
                              LF: Rickey Henderson (Had him)
                              CF: (I have Puckett, Henderson, Winfield and Strawberry, so one of them here)
                              RF: Dwight Evans (I think I'll go with that above list of four OFs...I had enough trouble cutting Andre Dawson out...Jim Rice might get in the 1970s squad, maybe Evans, too?)

B: (As per the logic of having a backup catcher, I put Lance Parrish...not the flashiest name here, but a solid catcher in his day)
                              B: Ozzie Smith (Starting, so I have Keith Hernandez here)
                              B: George Brett (Starting, so I have 1B #3 here, Don Mattingly...3 1Bs is a bit much for a 16 player team, but who do you cut of Hernandez/Murray/Mattingly? I'd keep them)
                              B: Dave Winfield (Had him)

SP: Roger Clemens (I despise Clemens, and even if I didn't, I still consider him a juicer...I put Fernando Valunzuela, with that great 1981 season and 6 All-Star games, here)
                              SP: Nolan Ryan (There's a thought...I didn't know what decade to put Ryan in, he pitched over four of them, but that works...)
                              SP: Dwight Gooden (Had him)
                              RP: Bruce Sutter (I had Dennis Eckersley, for the 1980s...?)
                              My picks and yours

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X