Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check which of the Following Players, you feel were great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check which of the Following Players, you feel were great.

Simple exercise. Simply put a check next to all those players, whom you feel were great position players, compared to all the others position players of history. Use your own personal definitions, of course.
    Reggie Jackson
    3.78%
    Pete Rose
    4.34%
    Yaz
    4.23%
    Joe Morgan
    4.74%
    Billy Williams
    1.89%
    Tony Oliva
    0.82%
    Rod Carew
    3.62%
    Ralph Kiner
    2.76%
    Harmon Killebrew
    3.88%
    Willie Stargel
    3.06%
    George Sisler
    3.37%
    Buck Ewing
    2.30%
    Oscar Charleston
    3.47%
    John "Pop" Lloyd
    2.81%
    James "Biz" Mackey
    1.07%
    Gary Carter
    1.68%
    Carlton Fisk
    2.09%
    Zack Wheat
    1.22%
    Eddie Roush
    0.77%
    Charlie Gehringer
    3.11%
    Ryne Sandberg
    2.35%
    Jackie Robinson
    4.95%
    Willie Keeler
    1.79%
    Arky Vaughan
    2.86%
    Lou Boudreau
    1.28%
    Ken Williams
    0.05%
    Gil Hodges
    0.87%
    Don Mattingly
    1.48%
    Ray Schalk
    0.77%
    Johnny Kling
    0.26%
    Big Klu
    0.56%
    Dick Allen
    1.99%
    Albert Belle
    1.89%
    Bill Madlock
    0.15%
    Ron Santo
    2.30%
    Ken Boyer
    0.77%
    Nellie Fox
    0.82%
    Luis Aparicio
    1.43%
    Joe Gordon
    1.07%
    Hughie Jennings
    1.07%
    Mike "King" Kelly
    1.38%
    John McGraw, (as a player only)
    0.97%
    Bill Terry
    1.89%
    Tony Lazzeri
    0.92%
    Gabby Hartnett
    2.14%
    Bill Dickey
    2.76%
    Lou Brock
    2.19%
    Tony Perez
    0.87%
    Chuck Klein
    1.22%
    Richie Ashburn
    1.99%
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-09-2008, 11:21 PM.

v/ Ty Cobb

I dont know how to make a checkmark
    "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

Comment

All could be defined as great in a couple of areas, especially compared to everyone who's played the names. Of course, some were far greater than others listed.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

There are different kinds of great.

I went down the list using "Hall of Fame Great" and checked anyone who was in my personal hall of fame. There's also "All-Time Gods of Baseball" great, which I reserve as the top 25.
        AL East Champions: 1981 1982
        AL Pennant: 1982
        NL Central Champions: 2011
        NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Every player on the poll was great at some point in their baseball career.

I voted for the best five players on the poll.

Morgan
          Lloyd
          Charleston
          Gehringer
          Vaughan

Comment

Bill, well, I only thought that Jackie Robinson qualified in that group. I have a feeling that Oscar Charleston might also, but my knowledge of the NL is sketchy at best, so I didn't think it fair to list him without know more.

All of these players had great moments, but if someone came up to me off the street and asked me to name a great player I can tell you that I wouldn't be naming any of these guys.

KH14
            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Thanks guys for participating. Just as I hoped. We're all using our own personal discrimination.

Some we all agree on, one way or the other. I enjoy the angst over the countless borderline candidates. That is where the fun is. When we all agree, I snooze. Just me.

Bill Burgess

Comment

Subjectivity, or Ya Gotta Believe

Thanks, Tug, for that one. Thanks to Mr. Burgess for this interesting brain teaser. I made two run-throughs; on the way down I chose from the players I'd seen, with the following criteria: which of these guys did I absolutely know were going to beat my team in some way, shape, or form every time they had a chance to, and some times when they didn't? OK, then, did this happen repeatedly, over a fairly extended period of years? Was this guy doing the same thing to all his other opponents as well? Check mark. It might help to note that my two favorite teams have always been 1) the Giants, and 2) anyone playing the Dodgers. Most of these guys beat the bejesus out of the Giants in more ways than I care to remember. You could add Garvey to the list, too. Brock's on because he used to be my favorite player, along with Bobby Bonds. I learned to steal second in Little League watching Lou Brock, and I remember him swiping 118, it was like McGwire/Sosa for me. So yeah, standout guys whose at-bats were a drop-it-and-watch, always. This accounts for the AL guys who always seemed to loom, to me. A player like Reggie, now, I ought love for pounding the Dodgers, but he was Bonds' rival for Superduperstar in the Bay Area (recall that SI cover?) and there always seemed to be a way to get him out. Not so with someone like Morgan, with that bloody elbow twitching. I hated to see him come to the plate, or be on base, or be in the way of a Giants grounder into right which was suddenly not a hit anymore.

On the way back up, I went with guys who I continually read about from a variety of sources as just that same sort of impact player, game changer, game dominator. In this vein, I looked in vain for Satchel and Josh, perhaps their exclusion means they're already assumed to be great. I don't think Jackie was a great player, though I think he was of great character. However, he belongs in the Hall of Fame whereas many of the players on the list do not, including several that I consider to be great players. Reggie belongs in the Hall. Convoluted logic, I know, but refer to the title of this mishmash.

I wonder, may I vote again, using the Hall of Famer/Not criteria, or is it a one trick pony? I'd be interested to hear other takes on my choices.

Comment

One shot, that's it, you're OUT!!

Comment

worth a shot

Drat. Well, gotta go with my gut. Sorry about the post duplication, my computer and I are having a tiff. Now, I've got one for you: there are several current players who appear bound for the Hall of Fame. They could be considered great, by most definitions. Some have punched their tickets, some are conjecture. Can you put together two lists, separated like that? Or does this need to be a new thread? Don't know how...

Comment

I went with my first instinct! No way am I gonna study every player right down to the bone!
                      Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

Not all the players I voted for were great compared to the greatest players by any means, but they were great at what they specialized in. For instance, although Jackson and Killebrew struck out tons and had low BAs, they were great at their specialty - crushing homers, and Reggie was one of the greatest of any player ever at excelling in the postseason.
                        Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

My list

I marked all of them as "great" except for maybe 10. Those who I believed were deserving of a Hall of Fame plaque got the nod.

As far current players who I believe will be known as "great", I would include A-Rod, Bonds, Griffey, Bagwell, Frank Thomas, RJ, Maddux, Pedro, Ichiro, I-Rod, Tejada, Manny Ramirez, Roger Clemens, and many others (Prior, Beltran, etc) who may soon create legacies of greatness. However, there is obviouly a class above the rest of the greats; I would call these guys "legends", I guess.

A-Rod, Bonds, RJ, Maddux, Pedro, Clemens, and Ichiro come to mind. They are all Top 50 in my book (or A-Rod will be very soon). Likewise, Manny will be a legendary hitter, top 30 all-time.

That's just my defitinition of greatness; Webster's is "superior in quality" or "very skillful". I believe these players meet the criteria.

Mark

Comment

Some additions for Pghfan

Interesting list, I agree with most though I wouldn't put Pedro in the legend category- he's not Koufax and Sandy the K is the only short-timer pitcher in that Pantheon in my book. Ichiro does not yet have the longevity in MLB, though he's headed there provided his legs, one of his key tools, hold up. I am not so sold on Beltran, who has had a couple of pretty good years and a great post-season. I think he'll hate NY. The guy I think is destined for the Hall, but also needs a few more years, is Pujols. What a stud. Bad Vlad is not far behind. Pitchers? Guys like Santana need more fights under their belt; I'd lean toward Hudson if the Braves can give him 3-4 runs per game for 5-7 years. He, like Schmidt, may be too injury-prone. Rivera is a legend already, but I have the sneaking feeling that many of the other great contemporary fireballing closers are going to lose some pace on their fasties this year. But how about Jeff Kent? He seems like the kind of player who might fit into the original list.

Comment

How to remove a duplicated post. Go to your post, hit edit buttom. Use your backspace to erase post. Replace with Deleted post. That should do it.

Your edit button will also allow you to clean up a post for spelling, grammar, puncuation, etc. Your backspace button will let you erase anything you like.

BB

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X