Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check which of the Following Players, you feel were great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Ewing's career peter out as it did? I know he hurt his arm, but basically he was simply paralleling the career of the first great catcher, Deacon White, who like Ewing caught until he was about thirty, as long as any man could under the tough conditions catchers were subjected to. White went on to an entire new career, another decade as a regular in a second career that began after he was 30, and he made such a mark that most people now actually think of him as a third baseman, although he had certainly been a more valuable and more important player as a catcher.

I am too big a Deacon White fan ever to admit Ewing was his equal, but Ewing was certainly not chopped liver. Ewing was a great catcher who caught about as long and about as much as almost anybody could stand in the days before the big pillow mitts came in (and it was his misfortune to injure his arm just when those mitts were coming into use). He was also an outstanding hitter, though, and an excellent base runner, and he continued playing well in those departments, when he did play, in the '90's. He was never a slow, immobile catcher. if Deacon White had a second career as a third baseman, then why didn't Ewing go on to a new life as a regular first baseman? Was his arm so bad that even that was too much for him?
    “Money, money, money; that is the article I am looking after now more than anything else. It is the only thing that will shape my course (‘religion is nowhere’).” - Ross Barnes

Comment

All of us have been asking ourselves those very questions for a long time now. We just haven't found any answers yet.
      But hope springs eternal. Maybe someday, one of us will discover a quote to explain those frustrating, unexplained questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
        All of us have been asking ourselves those very questions for a long time now. We just haven't found any answers yet.
        But hope springs eternal. Maybe someday, one of us will discover a quote to explain those frustrating, unexplained questions.
        "There is one word in America that says it all -
        you never know." - Joaquin Andujar
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
          "There is one word in America that says it all -
          you never know." - Joaquin Andujar
          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Rod Carew just got a vote. How soon a player disappears from mind. Not the greatest glove, but what he did on the bases and at bat. Does he have a record for bunt hits in a season?

Comment

Have our newcomers seen this poll?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X